LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora > Fedora - Installation
User Name
Password
Fedora - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Fedora.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2006, 01:27 AM   #16
Linux>Me
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damncommon
Upon re-reading I think we are making more progress than I had thought.
The one thing stumping me now is /dev/VolGroup. Using Google I see this means you are using Logical Volume Management. Is that something you did on purpose?
You got a lot of errors after the "grub-install" and I will guess it is for the same reason you saw the other errors. Is there something unusual about your primary master? RAID? Encrypted?
Apparently grub did install the basic version. We should be able to get it configured better.
First chroot from the rescue system.
Type "ls /boot" (list the contents of the boot directory). Look for something like "vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6" and "initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img". That means the Linux kernel is in your boot partition.
Type "cat /boot/grub/menu.lst". That will display the contents of your grub configuration file.
Post back what you see in /boot and menu.lst and we may be able to get you going.
I just let Fedora set up its default partitions automatically.

As for my Primary Master, it isn't encrypted. Though, it is disabled. No RAID anywhere.

Finally! Some good news. I'll have to give your instructions a try tommorow morning. I'll be sure to post the results ASAP.
 
Old 11-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #17
Linux>Me
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3155/dsc00494nl7.jpg
("Fedora Corpse" came from when I went back into the install utility and put the boat loader on some place I don't even remember. As you can tell, I figured Fedora was dead at that point )
There are the two pieces of information you asked me to get.

I tried, booting from the HDD, now I don't even get a GRUB screen anymore I get a message saying that ____ will load in 2 seconds, but it is followed up with an error that tells me the volume doesn't exist. I must have done something when I was messing with the Grub commands.

Also, before I actually go about using Fedora, I want to just start over and set up the partitions myself (while doing all the steps I've learned so far to get grub and whatnot configured). What partition settings should I use?

Last edited by Linux>Me; 11-13-2006 at 05:42 PM.
 
Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
2damncommon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Calif, USA
Distribution: Debian Wheezy
Posts: 2,839

Rep: Reputation: 48
Starting from scratch is not a bad idea.
I like to keep things simple on most of my home installs. I use only a "swap" parttion and a "/"(root) partition. The swap partition is whatever percent of your RAM you prefer (half, equal, double?). If you have enough space you may want to leave room to try a second distribution (swap partition can be shared), or create a FAT32 partition to transfer files.
I would really suggest you have all drives enabled and installed as you will use them and just be careful during the install with partition and install choices. I would also suggest you just install the Linux bootloader GRUB to the MBR of your primary master to boot both Linux and Windows. The caveat is that, yes, there are sometimes problems, ever seen the NTLDR missing threads? I would suggest following this to create a backup boot method.
If you do that things should work right after install.
I found this to be a helpful guide.
 
Old 11-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
Linux>Me
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damncommon
Starting from scratch is not a bad idea.
I like to keep things simple on most of my home installs. I use only a "swap" parttion and a "/"(root) partition. The swap partition is whatever percent of your RAM you prefer (half, equal, double?). If you have enough space you may want to leave room to try a second distribution (swap partition can be shared), or create a FAT32 partition to transfer files.
I would really suggest you have all drives enabled and installed as you will use them and just be careful during the install with partition and install choices. I would also suggest you just install the Linux bootloader GRUB to the MBR of your primary master to boot both Linux and Windows. The caveat is that, yes, there are sometimes problems, ever seen the NTLDR missing threads? I would suggest following this to create a backup boot method.
If you do that things should work right after install.
I found this to be a helpful guide.
Thanks a lot.

Though, I would like to see if I can get Fedora to boot at the stage it is currently at; I don't want to reinstall Fedora and end up in the same situation I am in now (still not booting up right). Is there anything you can surmise from the boot list that you can deem as problematic? Or any modifications I should make to the grub configuration in relation to the new found information?

I don't want go about doing true multiple booting until I gain a little more comfort with Fedora, first.
 
Old 11-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #20
2damncommon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Calif, USA
Distribution: Debian Wheezy
Posts: 2,839

Rep: Reputation: 48
It looks to me like there are conflicting entries. There is both a "root (hd2,0)" and a "rootnoverify (hd2,0)".
If you want to try again, at the GRUB prompt type:
root (hd2,0) <enter>
kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 <enter>
module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet <enter>
module /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen.img <enter>
boot <enter>
Just like is shown in the config file. If that boots your system you should comment out the second entry by putting a "#" in front of each line. You would do that as root with any text editor. Then run "grub-install /dev/hdc" (as root) again.
 
Old 11-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #21
Linux>Me
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damncommon
It looks to me like there are conflicting entries. There is both a "root (hd2,0)" and a "rootnoverify (hd2,0)".
If you want to try again, at the GRUB prompt type:
root (hd2,0) <enter>
kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 <enter>
module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet <enter>
module /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen.img <enter>
boot <enter>
Just like is shown in the config file. If that boots your system you should comment out the second entry by putting a "#" in front of each line. You would do that as root with any text editor. Then run "grub-install /dev/hdc" (as root) again.
I was able to get it to boot with the above commands. However, the root command would not allow me to switch to "(hd2,0)" as the command said the device didn't exist. Though, I was able to run all the other commands successfully without even using the root command. It booted right up.

After I played with Fedora for a little bit, I decided to just go ahead and nuke the partitions and start over again. This time, I took out all my other harddrives except for the one I was planning on installing Fedora on, which I moved to the primary IDE cable as master. This last time around, I didn't get ANY errors at all, Fedora installed and rebooted right into the OS (Though, I did have to try installtion two times because the installation utility froze, though it seemed like a fluke).

Is there any tools I should run or checks I should perform within Fedora to ensure that it is actually going to run stabil? (Meaning, any common check points)

Thanks again for getting my on my Fedora feet!
 
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #22
2damncommon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Calif, USA
Distribution: Debian Wheezy
Posts: 2,839

Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
(Though, I did have to try installtion two times because the installation utility froze, though it seemed like a fluke).
As I recall, I had to run the installer twice when I installed Fedora 6. It froze when I selected to add another source to the updater or something like that. I did not choose it again the second attempt.
Quote:
Is there any tools I should run or checks I should perform within Fedora to ensure that it is actually going to run stabil?
If it seems okay now just try out different applications and see how they run.
Quote:
Thanks again for getting my on my Fedora feet!
You're welcome, hope you have fun with it.
 
Old 11-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #23
Linux>Me
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damncommon
If it seems okay now just try out different applications and see how they run.

You're welcome, hope you have fun with it.
Fedora seems to be running flawlessly. I'm just amazed at all the functions it has and I haven't even installed any applications yet. The shear amount of native hardware support is phenomenal. I was fearing that I was going to have to search for hours just to find software to drive my multifunction HP printer, nope! Fedora was able to print and scan without my doing anything. Even my PC tablet ran without any drivers (though it is a little jumpier than normal and no pressure sensitivity.)

The real good news is that I now have all my HDDs running at once. I moved my Fedora HDD back to the secondary master and I reinstalled my Primary Master and Slave. Booting with F11 actually works. If I want to boot Fedora, I'll just hit it and select my HDD from the BIOS boot options list. If I want to load windows I just let it be.

Boot up time is a little lengthier than windows. I don't know if that is normal or because I opted to install every single option available to me when I installed Fedora. However, once everything is loaded and I log on, everything runs fast and smooth as ice.

The only thing I believe I even need to do with Fedora at this point is find some way to get a driver for my wireless network card. Though, I'm sure I'll find a solution myself soon enough.

I can't thank you enough for all your help. I'm well on my way to learning a whole new area of computing.

-West

P.S. I can't stop playing with the cube and window jiggle effects. I'm like a cat batting around a foam ball.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
method to retrieve missing "Linux" option on tetra boot machine umer_uzair Linux - Newbie 4 11-29-2004 06:20 PM
method to retrieve missing "Linux" option on tetra boot machine umer_uzair LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 11-29-2004 09:01 AM
cannot execute "/sbin/agetty" <-- appears during kernel boot process CestusGW Linux - General 2 01-10-2004 05:16 PM
LFS 4.1: Stalled at Perl, "missing seperator" error from "make" SparceMatrix Linux From Scratch 1 06-07-2003 03:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration