LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
was4444
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
upgrade to fedora 18 but lost many files


I have just upgraded to Fedora 18 using FedUp, but I find most of my files lost after the upgrading.
My home directory uses btrfs, and the files lost are all that recently not used.
Is this a bug of btrfs or something else? Anybody can help me to restore the files?
Thanks in advance.
 
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,017
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
I have just upgraded to Fedora 18 using FedUp, but
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp suggests you check http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common...Upgrade_issues first.


Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
I find most of my files lost after the upgrading My home directory uses btrfs, and the files lost are all that recently not used. Is this a bug of btrfs or something else?
I doubt that has anything to do with btrfs and even if I would post-upgrade first check logs that FedUp, Anaconda, Yum and syslog provide for any clues before actually using the system again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
Anybody can help me to restore the files?
You did make a backup, right?
 
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
was4444
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
it seems the same problem, though my file system is btrfs(but not encrypted)

I failed to upgrade using the network (2+ times), then used the ISO option, it just upgraded some of my packages(even though the iso do have some of them). After all, it can boot, though has no desktop. I did the installing, upgrading and cleaning manually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
I doubt that has anything to do with btrfs and even if I would post-upgrade first check logs that FedUp, Anaconda, Yum and syslog provide for any clues before actually using the system again.

You did make a backup, right?
That's the problem!!! NO... Orz..
I use "du -sh"
find the space is in using, but only directories can be found. I think the files are not lost, but just don't know how to get them back.

Last edited by was4444; 01-19-2013 at 07:56 AM.
 
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,017
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
I failed to upgrade using the network (2+ times), then used the ISO option, it just upgraded some of my packages(even though the iso do have some of them). After all, it can boot, though has no desktop. I did the installing, upgrading and cleaning manually.
It would be good to mention such details in your original post. It may not mean much to you, after all you're already in this mess and you only want to find a way out of it, but for us it's important to know. FedUp should, just like the former Fedora installer "Anaconda", log information to either log files in /var/log, /tmp or /root. So if there's trouble that doesn't show up on stdout then it would be good to check /tmp and /root for any installer or upgrade log files and see if /var/log/yum.log and /var/log/messages hold clues.


Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
Orz
Just chalk it up as a lesson to learn from.


Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
I use "du -sh" find the space is in using, but only directories can be found. I think the files are not lost, but just don't know how to get them back.
Boot your Spherical Cow (runlevel may be rescue, doesn't matter) run the following commands. Explanation: first become root, then show current kernel version, show which Fedora release is installed, see what mount points are defined in /etc/fstab, then show which physical devices are mounted, finally show how much each home users directory on disk holds". Number each line for readability and pipe output to a file.
Code:
sudo su -l;
( uname -r; cat /etc/system-release; grep -v ^# /etc/fstab|grep .; mount|grep "v/[h|s]d"; find /home/* -maxdepth 0 -type d -print0|xargs -0 -iD du --apparent-size -hs 'D' ) | nl | tee /tmp/output.txt
Please review then -=attach=- the plain text file "/tmp/output.txt".
 
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
was4444
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
It would be good to mention such details in your original post. It may not mean much to you, after all you're already in this mess and you only want to find a way out of it, but for us it's important to know. FedUp should, just like the former Fedora installer "Anaconda", log information to either log files in /var/log, /tmp or /root. So if there's trouble that doesn't show up on stdout then it would be good to check /tmp and /root for any installer or upgrade log files and see if /var/log/yum.log and /var/log/messages hold clues.
Here is the what I have done all:
1. as my /var doesn't have enough spaces, I made a symbolic link in the /home partions( ln -s /home/tmp /var/tmp ); before upgrading, it works, but in upgrading, it doesn't. maybe that's problem why I cannot upgrade from the network.
2. Then I download the ISO files and use fedup's iso option. It begins to install package after reboot. it stoped at a process of installing or something else(sorry for forgetting this) it seems like something about"link".
3. Then I boot in command line, do some installing, cleaning. I have to use startx to use the desktop environment even now.

I read /root/fredupdebug.log, /var/log/upgrade.log yum.log and message, but didn't find anything useful for at least me. Since I use tmpfs for /tmp, nothing left every reboot. I will attach some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Just chalk it up as a lesson to learn from.
a lesson of blood...


Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Boot your Spherical Cow (runlevel may be rescue, doesn't matter) run the following commands. Explanation: first become root, then show current kernel version, show which Fedora release is installed, see what mount points are defined in /etc/fstab, then show which physical devices are mounted, finally show how much each home users directory on disk holds". Number each line for readability and pipe output to a file.
Code:
sudo su -l;
( uname -r; cat /etc/system-release; grep -v ^# /etc/fstab|grep .; mount|grep "v/[h|s]d"; find /home/* -maxdepth 0 -type d -print0|xargs -0 -iD du --apparent-size -hs 'D' ) | nl | tee /tmp/output.txt
Please review then -=attach=- the plain text file "/tmp/output.txt".
output.txt
Attached Files
File Type: log upgrade.log (85.9 KB, 2 views)
 
Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,017
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764
Thanks for the nfo. While you didn't exactly run the command like I wanted to it does show /home indeed uses btrfs and that /home/cuckoo holds about 16G worth of data. Wrt "Is this a bug of btrfs or something else?" your upgrade.log is remarkably free of errors related to btrfs. Here is a list of all Fedora btrfs-related open tickets: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist....uery_based_on= sorted by ticket number. While I haven't seen any bug there related to your problem maybe you can spot one. Wrt "most of my files lost after the upgrading" try to come up with some examples please. Can be partial file names or directory names and then try using 'find'. Say for example that you're looking for a file name containing "Deimos" in your home directory you could:
Code:
find /home/cuckoo -type f -iname "*deimos*" -ls
or if it's a file called "Phobos" in your firefox profile directory:
Code:
find /home/cuckoo/.mozilla/firefox -type f -iname "*phobos*" -ls
You get the idea. After you've located those files try to check their specs in the File Manager to verify you can access them. If there's files you can't access by either find or File Manager please elaborate.
 
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
was4444
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Thanks for the nfo. While you didn't exactly run the command like I wanted to it does show /home indeed uses btrfs and that /home/cuckoo holds about 16G worth of data.
it seems that I lost a bracket, then remove the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Wrt "Is this a bug of btrfs or something else?" your upgrade.log is remarkably free of errors related to btrfs. Here is a list of all Fedora btrfs-related open tickets: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist....uery_based_on= sorted by ticket number. While I haven't seen any bug there related to your problem maybe you can spot one. Wrt "most of my files lost after the upgrading"
maybe that's not a bug of btrfs, for, as you can see, my /var and /usr are both btrfs, and don't lose anything, right? the difference is that I make a link, and use the /home to store the packages that fedup downloads. and the hard disk of my laptop may also be a problem, for there are some bad blocks(my laptop really has a history). maybe btrfs+fedup+bad blocks results to lost files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
try to come up with some examples please.
the files lost are all that have not accessed recently(say about 1+ weeks ago), including configure files, documents, videos, musics and so on. left only the directories that contain them. but the files recently used don't get lost.
here is a example,( I use: find . * -ls > find.txt)
find.txt


I find that the spaces in using are not the lost files, but the big ISO files downloaded, I forgot that. This time, maybe the files are really lost.

Last edited by was4444; 01-20-2013 at 09:45 AM.
 
Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,017
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
maybe that's not a bug of btrfs, for, as you can see, my /var and /usr are both btrfs, and don't lose anything, right?
Not that I've seen any evidence of that but if you say so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
the difference is that I make a link, and use the /home to store the packages that fedup downloads.
You made a symbolic link from directory /var/tmp to /home/tmp. If you think btrfs somehow didn't honor the concept of directories then you're supposed to run diagnostics on it and file a bug report.


Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
and the hard disk of my laptop may also be a problem, for there are some bad blocks(my laptop really has a history). maybe btrfs+fedup+bad blocks results to lost files.
Your laptop has known malfunctions, it didn't meet the requirements for upgrading and you decided to skip making backups. Then you went ahead with the upgrade and now you wonder what's gone wrong?... Saying "my laptop really has a history" doesn't quite cover it ;-p


Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
the files lost are all that have not accessed recently(say about 1+ weeks ago), including configure files, documents, videos, musics and so on. left only the directories that contain them. but the files recently used don't get lost. here is a example,( I use: find . * -ls > find.txt) I find that the spaces in using are not the lost files, but the big ISO files downloaded, I forgot that.
You didn't use my example, you showed 'find' results that don't include files you talk about and you didn't confirm /home/cuckoo actually holds 16GB of data. That means there's nothing left I can help you with, sorry.


Quote:
Originally Posted by was4444 View Post
This time, maybe the files are really lost.
One final thing to do is boot a Live CD that contains the latest version of Testdisk and Photorec, run testdisk as 'testdisk /debug /log /dev/sda3', explore the file system and check if that allows you to see your "documents, videos, musics and so on" you somehow (again, no evidence) can't see from within Fedora. If there's files you should save recover them to a separate medium like and external USB disk or stick or minimally another mounted partition. That's all I can come up with. Good luck!
 
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
was4444
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Not that I've seen any evidence of that but if you say so.
You made a symbolic link from directory /var/tmp to /home/tmp. If you think btrfs somehow didn't honor the concept of directories then you're supposed to run diagnostics on it and file a bug report.

Your laptop has known malfunctions, it didn't meet the requirements for upgrading and you decided to skip making backups. Then you went ahead with the upgrade and now you wonder what's gone wrong?... Saying "my laptop really has a history" doesn't quite cover it ;-p
Though the upgrading before works well, that not a excuse. I will take the lesson, do make a backup now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
You didn't use my example, you showed 'find' results that don't include files you talk about and you didn't confirm /home/cuckoo actually holds 16GB of data. That means there's nothing left I can help you with, sorry.
I know, the info is too little for sth. I try the command above, but nothing in the standout. my example can just show that there are a lot of folds with nothing in them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
One final thing to do is boot a Live CD that contains the latest version of Testdisk and Photorec, run testdisk as 'testdisk /debug /log /dev/sda3', explore the file system and check if that allows you to see your "documents, videos, musics and so on" you somehow (again, no evidence) can't see from within Fedora. If there's files you should save recover them to a separate medium like and external USB disk or stick or minimally another mounted partition. That's all I can come up with. Good luck!
I will try it, if find sth useful, I will post here. Thank you!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Lost programs after 10.4 upgrade ishipaco Linux - Software 4 06-04-2010 07:29 PM
lost my cd/dvd in upgrade...? lenny45 MEPIS 8 03-08-2006 10:53 AM
Files removed from file system during Fedora Core Upgrade gryphonavocatio Linux - General 5 09-21-2005 12:27 PM
upgrade from red hat 9 to fedora and lost internet connection enchant Fedora 6 02-02-2004 09:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration