I guess I have a solution.
I think something was screwed up with the generic postscript driver/PPD file. I could see a few errors in my CUPS error_log
file, after I turned debug mode on. Anyway, I used system-config-printer
to change to the HPIJS driver, which lets me print. The quality seems a bit worse, but its still perfectly usable unless you pick nits.
I don't know what happened to the postcript PPD file (if that was it). I might have yum update'd a new cups a little while ago. I took me a while to notice the problem.
If anyone didn't know, the site www.linuxprinting.org
has excellent stuff. Check the tutorials in the sidebar.