LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
bednarjm
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Franklin, PA
Distribution: Fedora 19
Posts: 65

Rep: Reputation: 18
special characters help?


In windows i could key in Alt + 0236 for a certain character i use for my World of warcraft character. How would i go about doing this in Fedora 17 Xfce?
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 4,241

Rep: Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041
I would type one of these in a browser (possibly Firefox but another will do as well):
http://www.google.fr/search?q=type+s...aracters+linux
http://www.google.fr/search?q=type+s...racters+fedora
http://www.google.fr/search?q=type+s...fedora+17+xfce
 
Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
towheedm
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 585

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
I'm assuming that you are referring to entering special Unicode characters in Linux as you do for the <ALT+xxxx> key combination in Windows.

For Linux, there are two ways:
  • <CTRL>+<SHIFT>+<u>, at this point you'll get a u (note the underline). Release the <CTRL>+<SHIFT>. Now enter the four digit code and press enter, or
  • While still hoding the <CTRL>+<SHIFT>, enter the four digit code and then release the <CTRL>+<SHIFT> keys.
For a full explanations of Unicode see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input.
 
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
bednarjm
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Franklin, PA
Distribution: Fedora 19
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Thanks, but the only reason I came here is because my searches were still getting me nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towheedm View Post
I'm assuming that you are referring to entering special Unicode characters in Linux as you do for the <ALT+xxxx> key combination in Windows.

For Linux, there are two ways:
  • <CTRL>+<SHIFT>+<u>, at this point you'll get a u (note the underline). Release the <CTRL>+<SHIFT>. Now enter the four digit code and press enter, or
  • While still hoding the <CTRL>+<SHIFT>, enter the four digit code and then release the <CTRL>+<SHIFT> keys.
For a full explanations of Unicode see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input.
Wow! <CTRL>+<SHIFT>+<u> is quite the stretch for my left hand even with my long fingers.

Both methods lead to nothing. I saw the u though when i have all three keys pressed. The first method leaves a string of u's and the second one reverts to nothing :/
 
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728
In a terminal, method 1 works, but method 2 does not

In Firefox (LQ compose window), same answer. Nautilus--same
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
towheedm
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 585

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
In a terminal, method 1 works, but method 2 does not

In Firefox (LQ compose window), same answer. Nautilus--same
To expand:
Method 1: Press the CTRL+SHIFT+u key combination. A u is displayed. Now release the CTRL+SHIFT+u key combination. The u remains displayed. Enter the four digit code eg: 1234 and then press ENTER, you get:

Method 2: Press the CTRL+SHIFT+u key combination. A u is displayed. Now release the u key while keeping the CTRL+SHIFT key combination pressed, enter the four digit code eg:1234. Now release the CTRL+SHIFT keys, you get: ሴ

Note that the symbol shown was entered using both methods.

In either case, you do not need to keep the u key pressed while entering the four digit code. This prevents the Stretched-Finger-Syndrome (SFS) the OP mentioned.

Ha! Just coined a new phrase: Stretched-Finger-Syndrome.
 
Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
bednarjm
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Franklin, PA
Distribution: Fedora 19
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by towheedm View Post
To expand:
Method 1: Press the CTRL+SHIFT+u key combination. A u is displayed. Now release the CTRL+SHIFT+u key combination. The u remains displayed. Enter the four digit code eg: 1234 and then press ENTER, you get:

Method 2: Press the CTRL+SHIFT+u key combination. A u is displayed. Now release the u key while keeping the CTRL+SHIFT key combination pressed, enter the four digit code eg:1234. Now release the CTRL+SHIFT keys, you get: ሴ

Note that the symbol shown was entered using both methods.

In either case, you do not need to keep the u key pressed while entering the four digit code. This prevents the Stretched-Finger-Syndrome (SFS) the OP mentioned.

Ha! Just coined a new phrase: Stretched-Finger-Syndrome.
Awesome! The expanded explanation of method one works, but I'm not getting the same character I would expect in windows with 0236 which would be an i with a grave. Method 2 still brings about no character.

I'm just happy I'm getting somewhere. I now have to find the right code.

I'm diggin the SFS phrase.
 
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 4,241

Rep: Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041Reputation: 1041
The method can differ slightly depending upon the tool used.

e.g. (quote of Geany text editor's help):
Quote:
Inserting Unicode characters

You can insert Unicode code points by hitting Ctrl-Shift-u, then still holding Ctrl-Shift, type some hex digits representing the code point for the character you want and hit Enter or Return (still holding Ctrl-Shift). If you release Ctrl-Shift before hitting Enter or Return (or any other character), the code insertion is completed, but the typed character is also entered. In the case of Enter/Return, it is a newline, as you might expect.
 
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
towheedm
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 585

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bednarjm View Post
Awesome! The expanded explanation of method one works, but I'm not getting the same character I would expect in windows with 0236 which would be an i with a grave. Method 2 still brings about no character.

I'm just happy I'm getting somewhere. I now have to find the right code.

I'm diggin the SFS phrase.
That would of course depend on the character set that you are using. You can use the character map utility to get the codes for the desired characters.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Special Characters SimeonV Suse/Novell 14 07-07-2006 01:29 PM
Special characters are not displayed MasterOfTheWind Arch 2 07-01-2006 02:31 AM
special characters greenbox Linux - Software 9 12-23-2005 07:33 PM
Special characters consty Programming 3 08-07-2005 05:53 AM
using special characters one_ro Mandriva 5 11-04-2004 08:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration