FedoraThis forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I'm having some trouble out here, and scouring the internet has done me no good, though that does seem strange to me given the problem...
What I'm trying to do is rip a CD to my computer, and encode it in MP3 format. With the lame encoder at the heart of the project, I've tried almost everything to get it working:
Grip and KAudioCreator have the same problem when I run them. They get to the end of a track, and hang at about 99% done. I have a similiar Grip setup on my Ubuntu laptop, and it works fine, so that's a bit strange...
The other program I've tried is Sound Juicer, which works pretty well. I can create decent MP3's using the following Gstreamer Pipeline:
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc vbr=0 bitrate=192
However, that doesn't create ID3 tags, so my files are kind of nameless.
Anybody out there have any ideas as to how to fix Grip and KAudioCreator or to add ID3 tags to the files using Sound Juicer?
Please please, if you have any ideas, I'd much appreciate them, as I have been working on this problem for days now (in comparison, setting up RAID1 for the first time took me two hours or so to figure out).
Ok. I haven't worked on this in a while, but I have tried some new techniques, and perhaps there are some new ideas on this problem, as I'm losing my wit trying to figure it out.
I checked to make sure that I have id3lib installed. I do. I browsed through the packages in yum that contain mp3, and tried another couple things:
- I installed gstreamer08-plugins-extra-audio because it said it worked with lame...didn't change anything I could tell...
- I installed banshee. It works, and can actually rip a song to mp3. However, it too has problems. For one, when the ripped song is opened in amarok, the program crashes if you right click on the song (which is essential for checking the id3 info). For two, the id3 info is all screwy in amarok. It seems ok in Banshee though..
Any help out there in Linux land? I'm losing my will to rip.
Under Grip if you have the ID3 package installed, you can select Under "Config" and then "ID3" that grip should add the ID3 Tags to your ripped songs...you can even tell it to only do this for .mp3 (Default)
Now if you are ripping to .ogg which is the default I beleive then it will not work.
Check your settings.
Also this works fine for me and I used the standard distro RPM's from extras and Livna.
Here the proof (freshly ripped off the only CD I had Lying around):
Comment is mine in the TAG
[xx@xxx]$ id3info rammstein__ich_will.mp3
*** Tag information for rammstein__ich_will.mp3
=== TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Rammstein / Ich will
=== TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Crossing All Over
=== TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Vol. 14 - CD 1
=== TYER (Year): 2001
=== COMM (Comments): (): Test
=== TCON (Content type): (139)
=== TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
=== COMM (Comments): (ID3v1 Comment)[XXX]: Test
*** mp3 info
Last edited by Butterbroetchen; 07-11-2006 at 04:34 AM.
Well, no, I hadn't tried that because I was still of the persuasion that I could fix it without giving up altogether...
A moment ago though, I took your suggestion, and did the following:
yum -y remove lame id3lib grip
That's all well and fine, but it also thought it would remove (and I didn't know how to stop it) these programs:
Kind of a pain, but I let them all go, and then rebooted (for good measure). Reinstalled all of the above, and it pretty much works. Only thing that doesn't work is that it still takes FOREVER at the end of songs (like multiple minutes to do the last couple percent of a file). Otherwise, it encodes correctly, and does id3tags fine. I believe we have a solution (of sorts).
Thanks for the help, and I'll report back if further problems evolve.
It takes forver as it nears the end of the ripping of the track. It does about 98% of a song in a minute or so, and then takes several minutes to do the last 2%...it's so slow, it's hard to tell if it has crashed.
The disc is not spinning (loudly at least) during this, so it's as if it's waiting for something from the software to happen.
I tried to do a whole disc after posting last night, but it stopped altogether after 98% of the eight track.
I'm gonna try something about CD ripping: so, I have wine installed, and I'm gonna try to make a little program like AudioGrabber to recognize DMA data transferring for CD-DVD-rom. If I succeed, I'll let you know