I wrote this for myself when i installed mplayer, hope this helps.
Go to the Mplayer Web Site
and download the latest source, font, skin, and the essential codecs(win32 codecs) downloaded them all.
* tar -xjvf essential-codecs.tar.bz2
* cd <essential-codecs>
* mkdir /usr/local/lib/codecs/
* Now copy all the files inside the <essential-codecs> directory to /usr/local/lib/codecs/. This has to be done in order to use all the Win32 codecs.
Ok, Now you have to export those libraries, this is how you do it:
Add /usr/local/lib/ to /etc/ld.so.conf and execute: ldconfig .
Now we are going to install Mplayer.
* tar -xjvf Mplayer-source.tar.bz2
* cd <Mplayer-created-dir>
* ./configure --enable-gui --enable-largefiles --enable-xmms. If all goes well, proceed to the next step, if not, good luck!
* make This will compile Mplayer, and make sure that all goes well, there may be warnings, some of them can be ignored.
* make install This will install Mplayer
Congratulations, you have completed Phase 2, but this is not over yet, proceed to Phase 3.
This is the Post Installation section,
First, we are going to take care of the font file you downloaded.
* tar -xjvf font-file.tar.bz2
* mkdir ~/.mplayer/font
* mkdir /usr/local/share/mplayer/font
* mkdir /usr/local/lib/mplayer/font
* mkdir /usr/local/etc/mplayer/font
Good, now cd font-created-dir and copy the file "font-arial-18-iso-8859-1" to each directory that we created upon.
Now letīs take care of the skin file you downloaded.
* tar -xjvf skin-file.tar.bz2
* mkdir ~/.mplayer/Skin
* mkdir /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin
* mkdir /usr/local/lib/mplayer/Skin
* mkdir /usr/local/etc/mplayer/Skin
Ok, now cd skin-created-dir , letīs rename the skin name to default:
mv skin-name default . Great, now copy that directory to each of the Skin directories we created upon.
Now, go to the Mplayer directory that was created when you first extracted it. there go to etc/ and you should see this files: codecs.conf dvb-menu.conf example.conf input.conf inttypes.h menu.conf mplayer.desktop mplayer.ico
Now you have to edit the example.conf file, by editing this lines:
* comment this line: fs=yes
* Uncomment this line: skin=default
* And make sure that you comment the last line, the one that says: include=/home/gardino/I_Did_Not_RTFM_Carefully_Enough
Now, examinate the ~/.mplayer , if there is no codecs.conf file present there, copy it from the Mplayer-created-dir/etc . Also copy the example.conf file and rename it to mplayer.conf .
Now copy all the files to /usr/local/etc/mplayer .
And finally, some information on how to start Mplayer:
* mplayer to start Mplayer with CLI
* gmplayer to start Mplayer GUI
Well, I hope you have Mplayer working by now, if it did not worked out, then good luck!