LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #4531
lcvisser
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
You need the mlbhls from the experimental branch. That's the one that has the -F option which is a time code to start playback from.

Code:
svn co https://mlbtv-hls-nexdef.googlecode.com/svn/branches/experimental mlbhls
This is superior to -f which is an integer number of video chunks to skip ahead before playback. The problem with -f is that even though the number of chunks can be converted to a seconds offset, that doesn't do us any good if we don't know how many seconds of lead into the actual broadcast is taken up by the, "Your Game is About To Start" screen. -F fixes that as the actual time of the beginning of the broadcast is published in one of the media location requests I make. No more guesswork!
Ah, that works much better: if I set 'debug=1' in mlbviewer config and use the mlbhls command that I get, I can download and watch. However, watching directly from mlbviewer stalls at "Requesting media etc.". Am I missing something?
 
Old 06-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #4532
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,746

Rep: Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcvisser View Post
Ah, that works much better: if I set 'debug=1' in mlbviewer config and use the mlbhls command that I get, I can download and watch. However, watching directly from mlbviewer stalls at "Requesting media etc.". Am I missing something?
mlbhls takes a bit longer than rtmpdump to buffer. For starters, if you have a -quiet or -really-quiet in your video_player line, you may want to remove those to see if mplayer is generating errors. Second, and this sounds really obvious but just making sure, mlbhls does not have a "make install" so make sure you copied the built mlbhls to /usr/local/bin.
 
Old 06-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #4533
lcvisser
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
mlbhls takes a bit longer than rtmpdump to buffer. For starters, if you have a -quiet or -really-quiet in your video_player line, you may want to remove those to see if mplayer is generating errors. Second, and this sounds really obvious but just making sure, mlbhls does not have a "make install" so make sure you copied the built mlbhls to /usr/local/bin.
Ah, I was just impatient. My bad I was maybe also expecting the mlbhls output to show after the "Requesting media" message, but apparently that is somehow captured. Also, I had a configuration error in mplayer.

It's working now, thanks!
 
Old 06-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #4534
Redbullsnation
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Did yousolve the nexdef/windows problem daft??
 
Old 06-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #4535
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,746

Rep: Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation View Post
Did yousolve the nexdef/windows problem daft??
Not really my problem. Sorry to be so flip about that but Windows is not an open platform, nor do I have the toolchain to debug native Windows applications like mpv or vlc. I also won't have a Windows system to test with for much longer. You could try using VLC or download a newer weekly build of mpv.

Out of curiosity, what are your system specifications? Processor and memory? Does your video card support acceleration?

If you've got at least 2 GB RAM (maybe 1.5 might work?) and 1.5 Ghz processor, you can probably run mlbviewer in a virtual machine. I am currently working on a virtual machine version that will require 512 mb RAM (256 doesn't really work. Tried it.)

The other option, if virtual machine doesn't work for you, is to "burn" the virtual machine ISO image to a USB drive and boot mlbviewer as a LiveDVD (e.g. you won't have to install anything but you also won't have access to your Windows apps until your game is over and you reboot again from hard drive.)

I currently run mlbviewer as a virtual machine with no issues. As long as the system is reasonably modern and the video card supports acceleration, you can run the mlbviewer virtual machine as either a windowed application or in full screen mode. In fullscreen, once the game is playing, you'll see no difference than if you had run fullscreen on Windows directly. Except that nexdef will actually work.

I need to trim the ISO image down to get in under Sourceforge's 1 GB file size. Once I can get the ISO on Sourceforge, I will also be adding a .bat to automatically create the VirtualBox VM and attach the ISO image making it that much easier to run the virtual machine version. Stay tuned.

Last edited by daftcat; 06-30-2014 at 09:25 PM.
 
Old 07-01-2014, 05:21 AM   #4536
fang2415
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 159

Rep: Reputation: 15
So, in case it helps, I just checked my cygwin installation of mlbviewer/mlbhls/vlc (which I recalled working fine but haven't used in a while). There is now some strange behavior (which may not be new), namely that when mlbhls outputs to a file (with -o), vlc can play these files fine, but when mlbhls's output is sent to stdout, vlc can't play it.

That is, vlc will play this file:
Code:
 mlbhls -B [base64 link] -L -s 1200000 -F 23:00:10 -o mlb/video_o.ts
...but not this one:
Code:
 mlbhls -B [base64 link] -L -s 1200000 -F 23:00:10 -o - | cat > mlb/video_s.ts
That's a little strange since the tops of the files look identical (for as many pages as I can stand to compare the binary gibberish anyway). But maybe there's some garbage that eventually gets into the stdout stream that vlc can't handle?

Anyway, you should be able to run (a patched) mlbhls manually in cygwin at least: hit "d" at the mlbviewer listings screen, then copy the command that appears when you select a game, then paste that into a terminal (deleting line breaks if necessary). Then get rid of everything after "-o -" and replace it with an output file, which vlc should be able to play. [EDIT: typo here makes this sentence wrong -- the correct way is to remove everything after "-o", as in the first mlbhls line above]

So that's one option. Though usually when I post clunky workarounds like this daftcat follows up to suggest some far easier option that's been available for four years but I never noticed!

Last edited by fang2415; 07-02-2014 at 11:55 AM.
 
Old 07-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #4537
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,746

Rep: Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang2415 View Post
So, in case it helps, I just checked my cygwin installation of mlbviewer/mlbhls/vlc (which I recalled working fine but haven't used in a while). There is now some strange behavior (which may not be new), namely that when mlbhls outputs to a file (with -o), vlc can play these files fine, but when mlbhls's output is sent to stdout, vlc can't play it.

That is, vlc will play this file:
Code:
 mlbhls -B [base64 link] -L -s 1200000 -F 23:00:10 -o mlb/video_o.ts
...but not this one:
Code:
 mlbhls -B [base64 link] -L -s 1200000 -F 23:00:10 -o - | cat > mlb/video_s.ts
That's a little strange since the tops of the files look identical (for as many pages as I can stand to compare the binary gibberish anyway). But maybe there's some garbage that eventually gets into the stdout stream that vlc can't handle?

Anyway, you should be able to run (a patched) mlbhls manually in cygwin at least: hit "d" at the mlbviewer listings screen, then copy the command that appears when you select a game, then paste that into a terminal (deleting line breaks if necessary). Then get rid of everything after "-o -" and replace it with an output file, which vlc should be able to play.

So that's one option. Though usually when I post clunky workarounds like this daftcat follows up to suggest some far easier option that's been available for four years but I never noticed!
mlbplay.py v=kc n=1 nu=1

That would achieve the same as the "d" (debug) key in mlbviewer.py.

Namely, you're after that base64 chunk.

v=xxx : the team broadcast you are interested in
n=1 : use_nexdef=1
nu=1 : just print the base64 bit (the nexdef url)

You can run ./mlbplay.py without any arguments to get a list of the team codes to use for v= flag.

Or there's always the Wiki for more information.
 
Old 07-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #4538
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,746

Rep: Reputation: 76
I also managed to trim the ISO down to under 1 GB (barely!) It is uploading right now and should be available to download in a day or two. (I set the folder on SourceForge to stage the directory for 3 days before becoming active; not that it's going to take 3 days to upload....though it might... )
 
Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #4539
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,746

Rep: Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
mlbplay.py v=kc n=1 nu=1

That would achieve the same as the "d" (debug) key in mlbviewer.py.

Namely, you're after that base64 chunk.

v=xxx : the team broadcast you are interested in
n=1 : use_nexdef=1
nu=1 : just print the base64 bit (the nexdef url)

You can run ./mlbplay.py without any arguments to get a list of the team codes to use for v= flag.

Or there's always the Wiki for more information.
Actually, you're going to need the timecode (-f parameter) to start the stream from. Go with fang's suggestion of using the 'd' key in mlbviewer because that will give you the full command-line. When I get a chance, I will enhance the debug in mlbviewer to generate a .sh you can run after the command has been printed to the screen.
 
Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #4540
Redbullsnation
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
does anybody knows how to point the cygwin to my vlc directory? Or do I need to compile it

Edit: Nah, actually just dled a zip file containing the vlc folder and moved it to share and then pasted this in terminal

Code:
ln -s /usr/share/vlc/vlc.exe /usr/bin/vlc.exe
nvm

Last edited by Redbullsnation; 07-01-2014 at 05:53 PM.
 
Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #4541
Redbullsnation
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
Not really my problem. Sorry to be so flip about that but Windows is not an open platform, nor do I have the toolchain to debug native Windows applications like mpv or vlc. I also won't have a Windows system to test with for much longer. You could try using VLC or download a newer weekly build of mpv.

Out of curiosity, what are your system specifications? Processor and memory? Does your video card support acceleration?

If you've got at least 2 GB RAM (maybe 1.5 might work?) and 1.5 Ghz processor, you can probably run mlbviewer in a virtual machine. I am currently working on a virtual machine version that will require 512 mb RAM (256 doesn't really work. Tried it.)

The other option, if virtual machine doesn't work for you, is to "burn" the virtual machine ISO image to a USB drive and boot mlbviewer as a LiveDVD (e.g. you won't have to install anything but you also won't have access to your Windows apps until your game is over and you reboot again from hard drive.)

I currently run mlbviewer as a virtual machine with no issues. As long as the system is reasonably modern and the video card supports acceleration, you can run the mlbviewer virtual machine as either a windowed application or in full screen mode. In fullscreen, once the game is playing, you'll see no difference than if you had run fullscreen on Windows directly. Except that nexdef will actually work.

I need to trim the ISO image down to get in under Sourceforge's 1 GB file size. Once I can get the ISO on Sourceforge, I will also be adding a .bat to automatically create the VirtualBox VM and attach the ISO image making it that much easier to run the virtual machine version. Stay tuned.
Well, I tried VLC and that was a mess. It played, but you see a picture
Code:
[h264 @ 04fd0480] reference count overflow
[h264 @ 04fd0480] decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 04fd0480] hardware accelerator failed to decode picture
[h264 @ 04fd1820] mmco: unref short failure
[h264 @ 04fd1820] number of reference frames (0+5) exceeds max (4; probably corrupt input), discarding one
[h264 @ 04fd0480] reference count overflow
[h264 @ 04fd0480] decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 04fd0480] hardware accelerator failed to decode picture
[h264 @ 04fd1820] mmco: unref short failure
[h264 @ 04fd1820] number of reference frames (0+5) exceeds max (4; probably corrupt input), discarding one
[h264 @ 04fd00a0] reference count overflow
[h264 @ 04fd00a0] decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 04fd00a0] hardware accelerator failed to decode picture
[h264 @ 04fd0480] mmco: unref short failure
[h264 @ 04fd0480] number of reference frames (0+5) exceeds max (4; probably corrupt input), discarding one
[h264 @ 04fd0480] reference count overflow
[h264 @ 04fd0480] decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 04fd0480] hardware accelerator failed to decode picture
[h264 @ 04fd1820] mmco: unre
Edit: Did what fang did and it made everything a lil easier. At least I can negate Joe Buck from my ears

Last edited by Redbullsnation; 07-01-2014 at 06:12 PM.
 
Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #4542
BostonPeng
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Distribution: SolydK Testing + KDE 4.9.5
Posts: 88

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
I also managed to trim the ISO down to under 1 GB (barely!) It is uploading right now and should be available to download in a day or two. (I set the folder on SourceForge to stage the directory for 3 days before becoming active; not that it's going to take 3 days to upload....though it might... )
I think I missed a memo. mlbplayer's getting an ISO? That could be really sweet.
 
Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #4543
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,746

Rep: Reputation: 76
mlblive: virtual machine version of mlbviewer

mlblive is a virtual machine version of mlbviewer.

In the Files section of mlbviewer, there is now a directory for mlblive:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mlb...files/mlblive/

The contents of this directory are:

* ImportVirtualBox.bat: Windows batch file for creating the mlblive virtual machine
* ImportVirtualBox.sh: Linux/OS X shell script for creating the mlblive virtual machine
* mlblive.ovf: The configuration file for creating the virtual machine
* mlblive-debian.iso: The ISO file containing a customized Debian LiveDVD with mlbviewer software, interface customizations, etc
* README: describing how to create the VM

(VirtualBox is required. Use one of the Import* scripts to create the virtual machine.)

As you may have surmised from "Debian LiveDVD", this ISO can also be "burned" directly to DVD or USB and used as live media without VirtualBox. It can also be installed just like any Linux and the customizations will install with it, either directly to hard drive or virtual hard disk.

However, I would prefer to not be in the distribution support business. As a virtual machine, your hardware is already supported. As a LiveDVD or installed version, I don't want to walk you through nVidia driver installs or network card driver or configuration, etc. If it works for you, as is, go to town with it! If it doesn't work outside of VirtualBox, you're on your own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mlblive.jpg (99.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by daftcat; 07-02-2014 at 11:54 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #4544
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,746

Rep: Reputation: 76
mlblive is using XFCE. Don't ask for a GNOME or KDE or <insert your favorite WM here> version. Sourceforge has a 1 GB file size limit and the XFCE version just barely came in under that 1 GB.

When you first boot it, it will ask you to select your timezone. The clock in the corner may be inaccurate until the next minute, however, the times in mlbviewer will be accurate immediately following timezone configuration.

Start on the lower right of the icon bar. The bat and ball icon is mlbviewer. Click the arrow next to that icon and you'll get a launcher tray for mlbclassics and mlbstats. The first time you launch mlbviewer, you'll get the familiar, "configuration created" screen as shown in the screenshot attachment. The wrench icon next from the right will open the config in a simple text editor (as shown in the screenshot.) The ? icon next to it is the README file. And the world icon should be familiar to Debian users as Iceweasel (Firefox) with mlb.com and mlbviewer Wiki as the start pages.

To get in under the 1 GB file limit, I have removed a lot of non-essential software like OpenOffice, Brasero (CD/DVD writer), Gimp, etc. I won't be adding those back, so don't ask.

This is basically a gigantically bloated way to simplify "install" of mlbviewer. But that's not exactly right. For example, I use the virtual machine nearly everyday on my work laptop because I cannot install Linux on the work laptop and Redbullsnation knows that Windows/cygwin support is not exactly there for mlbviewer directly. Also, if I need to reinstall any of my laptops at home, this custom version is a great start because I know mlbviewer will be working out of the box. Unless it's the Thinkpad with the weird network card. Then there's some assembly required to get the network working. And this is why I prefer it as a virtual machine.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #4545
BostonPeng
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Distribution: SolydK Testing + KDE 4.9.5
Posts: 88

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
mlblive is a virtual machine version of mlbviewer.
Ooh, shiny! I look forward to playing with it some day.
 
  


Reply

Tags
help, install, installation, instructions, seek, vlc, windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mlb.com gameday audio stream statmobile Linux - Newbie 6 05-06-2008 10:16 PM
link dies intermittently-seemingly at random- between win<->linux not linux<->linux?? takahaya Linux - Networking 10 03-09-2007 10:37 PM
triple boot linux/linux/linux No Windows involved toastermaker Linux - Newbie 12 03-02-2006 10:40 PM
Redhat (rhel v2.1) bootup problem with linux (linux vs linux-up) namgor Linux - Software 2 06-24-2004 02:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration