FedoraThis forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
In Fedora 9, I met a strange problem with i18n language settings. When I chose Chinese language in GDM login manager and logged into Gnome or KDE, I got a locale setting as:
Not only LANG but all other locale-related environmental variables have this language setting ending with "utf8". Such setting caused gvim to not be able to load any menu texts, such that the entire menu bar was blank, and an error message showed up in command line:
If LANG was set to zh_CN.UTF-8 or en_US.UTF-8, then no error messages were generated and gvim's menu showed up in Chinese or English languages as expected.
So I created $HOME/.i18n:
So that I can type in Chinese but still get English interface in my desktop environment. This is what I did in Fedora 9 and works fine. But in Fedora 9, such settings were partially ignored: LC_MESSAGES works, but LANG doesn't work so that it remains zh_CN.utf8. This is true for both Gnome and KDE.
The strangest thing is that $HOME/.i18n took effects when I login from text mode console, so that all locale-related environmental variables were set correctly.
Therefore there must some difference in initiating locale-related environmental variables between the graphical logging process and the console one.
So my question is how to make $HOME/.i18n works for the graphical logging process and make LANG and other environmental variables take the value ending in "UTF-8". Thanks a lot!