Kickstart install error "Unable to read group information from repositories"
I am trying to build a Kickstart, updated install of Fedora8 for use with a hard disk install (that is I need an ISO at the end of my build process) for a machine with two hard disks (one to Kickstart from and one to install Fedora on to).
I had hoped that I could start with a Fedora8 ISO and then
1) Extract everything from the ISO to a build directory
2) rsync the updates down to a local directory
3) Merge the two sets of packages
4) Create a fresh 'repodata' directory
5) Write the build directory to an ISO
6) Put my new ISO and a ks.cfg on one hard disk and then boot with a Fedora 8 boot disk. The install would then use my updated ISO as the source for the packages.
This all seems to work until I get the following error during the installation.
Unable to read group information from repositories. This
is a problem with the generation of your install tree.
Can anyone help?
In more detail the steps I have gone through are these.
1) I have extracted everything from Fedora_8_i386_DVD.iso in to the directory /backup/hide/Fedora8 and then copied the whole of 'Fedora8' to an empty build directory. Next I remove the 'Packages' and 'repodata' directories for the build area.
# cd /backup/hide
# cp -r Fedora8 build
# cd build
# rm -rf Packages repodata
# mkdir Packages
2) I have run rsync to download all the Fedora 8 i386 updates in to
3) I have downloaded novi ( www [dot] exmachinatech [dot] net/01/novi/) and run the following command to give me a new /backup/hide/build/Packages directory which contains a full set of packages (as hardlinks).
# novi -a hardlink -t /backup/hide/build/Packages /backup/hide/Fedora8/Packages /backup/hide/Updates/i386
Loading RPMs from source /backup/hide/Fedora8/Packages
Now 1981 products loaded (1981 RPMs)
Loading RPMs from source /backup/hide/Updates/i386
Now 4303 products loaded (4996 RPMs)
Total 4303 products to process, from 4996 RPMs
4) Now make a repository for Packages
# cd /backup/hide/build
# mkdir repodata
# createrepo -o /backup/hide/build /backup/hide/build/Packages
5) Build an ISO image of my build directory. Note I don't need the ISO to be bootable nor do I care if the ISO is 'too large' to write to a DVD as I just need the ISO to be available to the Kickstart process.
# mkisofs -J -R -v -V Fedora8-updated -o /backup/Fedora8-updated.iso /backup/hide/build
6) Place Fedora8-updated.iso and ks.cfg in the root directory of the data disk and reboot with the Fedora 8 boot disk in the DVD drive.
At the menu select "Install or upgrade an existing system" and add the ks parameter to the boot statement giving
> vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb1:/ks.cfg
The system proceeds to boot. I get the blue "Welcome to Fedora for i386" screen and Anaconda starts. The X server starts and I get a progress bar with the text “Retrieving installation information”. Then I get the error
"Unable to read group information from repositories. This is a problem with the generation of your install tree."
On tty3 the last three lines of logging are
INFO : moving (1) to step reposetup
INFO : added repository Additional Fedora Software with source URL [None]
WARNING : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py:63: RuntimeWarning: YumProgress.progressbar called when popped
self.callback.progressbar(num, len(repos), repo.id)
Any help would be appreciated.