Shouldn't this thread be in the "Installation" Fedora sub-forum? Or has that been abandoned?
(Nobody's posted there for quite a while.)
So, my experience. First, on my HP Pavilon p6000 (An AMD 64-bit system, upgraded to 12Gb RAM and 5Tb of SATA storage on 3 drives.)
First, I tried fedup
on a (working) F17 installed on a software RAID1 500Gb partition set. Results:
- The --network 18 told me that I needed to use the (nonexistent or undocumented) --enrepo (sp? - from memory) option to point to one containing the "boot image." (All the F18 repos had been located before the message was displayed, so the image could not be found in any of them.)
- So I downloaded the DVD, and tried the --iso option. Result: "The iso file in unusable." (However, the ISO file could be mounted as a loop device, and the check sum was correct.)
- Since the iso file was mountable, I tried the --file option. That seemed to work. Partially.
- The system booted only to a login prompt.
- The old F17 stuff was not removed and
- The new F18 files were not installed.
In order to get a usable system I had to:
- Add the missing Wants=display-manager.service to the /usr/lib/systemd/system/default.target
- Made sure that the /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target pointed to the graphical.target
- Rebooted to a working GUI
- Run yum --dist-sync
- Run package-cleanup --dupes followed by package-cleanup --cleandupes --noscripts
After all that, I notice that there's a lot of left-over "sutff" in /usr/lib/systemd
, but I haven't (yet) removed it.
I was able to do all that since I had another, working, F18 on the same hardware. (Soon to be a F19 system, but that's another story.) That let me use krusader
to compare the working system's file with the "bonked" one. (I run a kde
system since I prefer a screen with no
icons on it, and that configuration is easier -- for me -- to set up with kde
With all that behind me, I decided to try fedup
on my old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop (An I686 system upgraded to 2Gb RAM and 500Gb storage. The result:
- fedup ran with no problems, although it took several hours to complete. (The upgrade described above took a few days, so a few hours is a good thing, eh?)
- Rebooting the system using the 3.7.2-201 or 3.7.2-204 kernel worked, but the vt font settings --or something -- are completely wrong, and even a simple terminal is unreadable. (This is true even if the headless boot option is added to the linux line.)
- Rebooting with the 3.6.11 kernel (left over from the F17 that was running on the system before the upgrade) produces a usable GUI
I'm still trying to get the laptop to boot with the 3.7 kernels, but I haven't yet posted a bug against the 3.7 kernel. In fact, if anyone has any suggestions, I like to have them
. <edit>See below</edit>
(By the way, the grub2
boot menus displays fine, but everything after the iniramfs
starts is displayed as a big white "blob," and the X display is, basically, solid white with vertical lines on it.)
Oh, the video controller in the laptop is an old nVidia GeForce on-board one, which, as I said, works fine with the 3.6 kernel, but not any 3.7 one I've tried. I did try the nvivia-173 drives, but they didn't make any difference, so I'm fairly sure that the nouveau
driver is O.K. on the system, and the problem is that 3.7 is not using the correct VT settings, but I don't (yet) know how to fix it.
Well, after more investigation, I think my problem is
driver. The driver is shipped with the kernel
package, and the ones shipped with every
F18 kernel I've tried - including the old 3.6.10-4 kernel shipped with the KDE spin LiveCD ISO - reports PTIMER: unknown input clock freq
. I've entered a bug report on the Fedora bugzilla against xorg-x11-dvr-nouveau