LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Fedora (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/)
-   -   Fedora Core 6 Foxconn 975X7AB (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/fedora-core-6-foxconn-975x7ab-511358/)

thudson 12-17-2006 12:15 PM

Fedora Core 6 Foxconn 975X7AB
 
Hi,
Basically the problem is Fedora Core 6 does not recognize my SATA hard drive.

My Computer is:
Foxconn 975X7AB Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB Ram
250GB SATA HDD
Nvidia 7950

Having used Fedora Core 5 and 6 before I was very keen to install it again on this computer.
So I booted from the Fedora Core 6 CD 1
The installer gets to the stage where it wants you to create a partition, but it cannot find any SATA hard disks. I noticed it hung for a little while when it was trying to load the ata-piix driver

I figured I would not have a problem with this as Windows XP SP1 did not even ask for a driver when installing.

The documentation and website for this motherboard is absolutely dreadful. The only place I can find the name of my storage controller is in the Windows XP device manager where it seams to be recognized as
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers – 27DF
Or
Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Controller – 27C0

Looks like the motherboard driver CD also ships with a bunch of drivers…none of them are for Linux and that’s just typical.

If anyone could tell me what that SATA controller is on a Foxconn 975X7AB Motherboard I would be very grateful.

Also is there a driver that’s available for Linux?

Merry Christmas!

tallman19 12-30-2006 02:12 PM

Have you tried any other linux distributions?
The SATA controller is Intel® ICH7R.
Try this link http://www.intel.com/support/chipset.../CS-020663.htm

here you can download the drivers for the ICH7R chipset ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SATA.../Linux/Redhat/

I'm also thinking of buying a foxconn motherboard P9657AA-8EKRS2H, I will not buy it if it's impossible to run linux or *BSD on it.

Happy New Year!!!:)

Hitboxx 12-30-2006 04:06 PM

I got a DG965RY mobo and i installed FC6 64bit like this.

1) Go to BIOS and change Advanced->Drive configuration->AHCI(was IDE before)
2) Pass these parameters at install time.[pop up the 1st CD, type linux a) b) c)]
a) all-generic-ide
b) irqpoll
c) pci=nommconf
3) Once the installation is complete, pci=nommconf' is automatically added to the kernel paramter in grub.conf, you just add 'all-generic-ide' to it.(If not, your CD/DVD drives won't be detected though the system will work fine)

Hope this helps.

Radhakrishnan 01-12-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrikant.odugoudar
I got a DG965RY mobo and i installed FC6 64bit like this.

1) Go to BIOS and change Advanced->Drive configuration->AHCI(was IDE before)
2) Pass these parameters at install time.[pop up the 1st CD, type linux a) b) c)]
a) all-generic-ide
b) irqpoll
c) pci=nommconf
3) Once the installation is complete, pci=nommconf' is automatically added to the kernel paramter in grub.conf, you just add 'all-generic-ide' to it.(If not, your CD/DVD drives won't be detected though the system will work fine)

Hope this helps.


hello sir, i have read your valuable information regarding above said installation. i got one dg965ry mother board and 3.4 ghz dual core processor (intel). what i experienced was.. i have already installed windows xp professional and it is working perfectly normal. i wish to install fedro core v6 alongwith window xp. i have a dvd containing fc 6 software. i tried to boot the fc6 in the pc, it starts showing fc6 and boot menu. after loading by pci= nommconf, it started booting and after english, us etc, a window came like.. what type of media contains the package to be installed.. after that ..local cd rom,hard disk, ntfs etc. i selected local cd rom (dvd already in the dvd rom). then it showed ..unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation. would you like to manually select or from new driver disk.. etc. after that i tried almost all drivers manually showed inbuilt in the fc6. but all fails. i have some doubts, please clarify...
(1) whether windows xp and fc6 can be loaded in same harddisk? i am using 160gb sata and 512 mb ddr ii memory.
(2) this pc support fc6?
(3) from where the fc6 driver available? if available kindly let me know the site name an driver name.

hope you will do needful for me...

send a personal mail to me .. id.. parippara@gmail.com....

tks ..

Hitboxx 01-13-2007 01:20 AM

Ok i'll start from the back. I will never mail you personally or professionally. It defeats the purpose of forums like LQ. If all were to start interacting through just emails would LQ exist? No. And trust me, you should never do this in forums else expect lot of flames. Ok!!.

Now to your problem, did you follow my method step to step? Be sure to give like
Code:

linux all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf

Radhakrishnan 01-15-2007 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrikant.odugoudar
Ok i'll start from the back. I will never mail you personally or professionally. It defeats the purpose of forums like LQ. If all were to start interacting through just emails would LQ exist? No. And trust me, you should never do this in forums else expect lot of flames. Ok!!.

Now to your problem, did you follow my method step to step? Be sure to give like
Code:

linux all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf



hello dear

i got your valuable information and i tried the booting as you said and i have succeeded in installed fedro 6 in my pc. thanks for the infomation. further i am experiencing the following problem. (1) i cannot access dvd rom (as i dont have cd rom connected) . when i press cd player, it shows drive error
(2) no sound availbale (no volume mounted)
(3) internet is not accessible as i am doing the net through modem and it is to be accessed only after running their software. since the dvd rom is not working, it is not possible. where as usb pen drive and floopy are working perfectly. now my main problem is .. requirement of sound and dvd drive detect and networking. i could understand something that intel quick start for linux is helpful to solve this problem. but is not clear. kindly give a reply to solve this problem. once again thanks for this information......

Radhakrishnan 01-15-2007 02:21 AM

please give site name for drivers of audio and networking.. and any driver to access dvd drive.. thanks

Hitboxx 01-15-2007 03:24 AM

Glad to hear you got it installed.

1) For the cd problem, connect the cd/dvd drive. Now are you comfortable with command line editing? I don't think so. Anyways login as root and open the file /boot/grub/grub.conf in a text editor(gnome). Go to the end of the kernel line and type 'all-generic-ide'. Then reboot, it should now detect your cd/dvd drives.
2) For the audio and modem problem you have to give complete details of your motherboard, modem and the net connection you are using.

And please try to reply fast, maybe you are busy, but the faster you respond, the faster we can help to get you into the beautiful world of Linux ;)

Radhakrishnan 01-17-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrikant.odugoudar
Glad to hear you got it installed.

1) For the cd problem, connect the cd/dvd drive. Now are you comfortable with command line editing? I don't think so. Anyways login as root and open the file /boot/grub/grub.conf in a text editor(gnome). Go to the end of the kernel line and type 'all-generic-ide'. Then reboot, it should now detect your cd/dvd drives.
2) For the audio and modem problem you have to give complete details of your motherboard, modem and the net connection you are using.

And please try to reply fast, maybe you are busy, but the faster you respond, the faster we can help to get you into the beautiful world of Linux ;)

-------------------------------------------------------
hello sir,
i tried it as u said, but sorry to say that dvd is not detected by it. login root means... while initial startup . press 'e' and select root and then press 'c'. (i don't understand how to login as root and open the file/boot/grub/grub.conf in text editor. please make it me clear sir. i think what i did is the proceedure. again i have gone at the end of kernel line and typed all-generic-ide and then rebooted. but the icon of dvd is not entering into the 'computer'. please clarify. regarding sound we will discuss later sir. because without working of dvd i could not load any driver in it. reg, modem, it is a lan modem and every time it is to be activated. for loading that software in linux, dvd drive is to be detected.. so please reply sir...tks..

Hitboxx 01-18-2007 06:47 PM

To login as root, at the login screen where you enter your username and password, simply give root as the username and the root password. Once you are in, open the file browser(nautilus/konqueror), navigate to /boot/grub and open grub.conf in a text editor.

Radhakrishnan 01-20-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrikant.odugoudar
To login as root, at the login screen where you enter your username and password, simply give root as the username and the root password. Once you are in, open the file browser(nautilus/konqueror), navigate to /boot/grub and open grub.conf in a text editor.



sir,
i have tried it. i can see the following lines.
when i tried to change kernel settings it shows, it will affect the booting. so please advice...
--------------------
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,8)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdg9
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hdg
default=1
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,8)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6)
root (hd0,8)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ pci=nommconf rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img
title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1


--
what to do next...

Hitboxx 01-20-2007 02:58 AM

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ pci=nommconf rhgb quiet all-generic-ide <----- Add here

Save the file. Reboot.

Radhakrishnan 01-22-2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrikant.odugoudar
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ pci=nommconf rhgb quiet all-generic-ide <----- Add here

Save the file. Reboot.



hello sir,

I added all-generic-ide at the end of kernel as u said.
When I reboot the system, it shows disabled irq#193 and further stopped booting. kindly give next step....

Hitboxx 01-22-2007 09:31 PM

Add 'irqpoll' after all-generic-ide.

Radhakrishnan 01-24-2007 04:35 AM

Sir,

Thank you for giving the valuable direction. i added irqpoll and rebooted. now the system is recognizing the dvd/cd. but here some of cds (ex. movie cd copied on windows xp etc. not reading, where as all dvd cds reading. for movie it show that '' not installed decoder''. so i think decoder driver is required. further regarding net connection, i am using private connection using motrolla modem and every time the software to be activated. tell me what is the decoder software to be installed in fedro. awaiting your direction.....thans once again..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.