Been facing an issue with the intel driver for 4965 wireless card that came with my Thinkpad T61 laptop. Found a solution on googling, though would post here and spread the word for fellow linuxers.
* I installed intel driver from http://intellinuxwireless.org/
for the 4965 wireless card that came with my thinkpad T61 laptop. Installation successful and driver work like a charm
* But sometimes I get issues when I try to grab IP from my wireless router, The encryption key gets set, the password is set, but when I try to run dhclient wlan0 , it keeps attempting to get the IP from router and takes a long time to do so. Sometimes it never gets an IP or when it get the IP , I may have to rerun essid setting and the key setting using iwconfig .
* looks like this is an issue and there does seem to be a work around for this, The key, essid and Dhclient need to be run in a particular order for the driver to get the IP from the router
The following is the order
1) ifconfig wlan0 up
2) iwconfig wlan0 key ***
3) iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
4) iwconfig wland0 essid ***
5) dhclient wlan0
I got the above info from the following link (the above order is from this link, just in case the resource gets removed)
Hope this helps ppl with Thinkpad T61 and having wireless card Intel 4965 A/B/G/N .