FedoraThis forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Here's one that just boggled me for a moment, but I found a fix. Posting it in case any of you run into this. It happened to me on an FC7 Gnome LiveCD that was installed to the HD. It may not happen on the regular installer. I installed "gnomebaker" from using yum, like I always do on a fresh FC install, and received errors when burning my audio CDs. Here is the output I received when I clicked the "show details" button:
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.scsidev: '/dev/sr0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
wodim: No such file or directory.
Cannot open SCSI driver!
For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.
For possible transport specifiers try 'wodim dev=help'.
For IDE/ATAPI devices configuration, see the file README.ATAPI.setup from
the wodim documentation.
TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
Just out of luck, I clicked on Edit > Preferences in the menu, and clicked on the Devices tab. In here, I found my CD drives were both detected, but the device files were wrong. It listed them as /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 instead of /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 respectively. All I had to do was click in the field and update the value in there and wala! Fixed her right up. Hopefully this helps if any of you run into this.