FedoraThis forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I have a AMD 46 Athlon server which has one Network card and has Windows XP and Fedora Core 5 installed on two different partitions. IP for my machine is provided by DHCP server (which is 10.11.12.141). When I installed FC5, I chose the same option of DHCP enabled. After the installation, verified the IP address by running ifconfig command, it all looks good.
I logged in as a user (NOT as root) to install an application which pops up GUI. I am not able to get the GUI on the screen. I tried setting DISPLAY variable to my IP:0 (10.11.12.141:0), but still it does not work.
Now I tried the following steps.
1. logged in to FC5 as a user
2. brought up the teminal window
3. execute "xclock" command
4. I can see the clock comes up and running
5. close the xclock app
6. bring up my application
7. Got "cannot open display...." error
8. see the value of DISPLAY variable
9. it is set to ":0.0"
10. change the DISPLAY value to "10.11.12.141:0" and exported DISPLAY variable
11. verify the value of DISPLAY by echo $DISPLAY
12. I can see the new value 0f 10.11.12.141:0
13. now I try to bring up the xclock application, It is not coming up and the error message is, "cannot open display at 10.11.12.141
14. then I did xhost +, this also shows the similar error.
Now my question is, how to figure out this display issue?.
I am running GNOME desktop. I can bring up xterm window and I tried the same steps from 1 through 14 and got the same result.