LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
rietsit
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 17

Rep: Reputation: 0
Cannot boot-need help recovering Fedora partition LVM


Hi,


i am using Fedora 10, dual boot with XP, fedora is on a LVM volume
have 2 identical 80GB drives:
hda-fedora 10 dual boot with XP
hdb-just for backups 2 partitions NTFS and Linux

yesterday I formatted one of the partitions on hdb. I was using Gparted and I formatted it to EXT4.

I was working on the PC and then I wanted to shutdown the PC and I saw a confirmation from Gparted that all actions were successfull (I assume it was the format of the B drive partition, then I just shut down the PC, without checking anything.
this morning I turn on and cannot boot,
-tried booting old kernel from grub, no luck.
-tried Fedora 10 DVD -recovery said "no linux partitions"
-disabled B drive in BIOS and tried everything again, noluck

This is the boot error from FC10:
Code:
VolGroup00 not found
Unable to access resume device (dev/Volgroup00/lgVol01)
Mount: could not find filesystem /dev/root
Reading all physical volumes
Could not find device with uuid…….
VolGroup00 not found
Then I tried Fedora 10 DVD –rescue installed system

I got error:
Code:
You don’t have any linux partitions, press return to get a shell.”

I tried :
Code:
fdisk –l

dev/sda1                dell utility
dev/sda2   * boot       HPFS/NTFS
dev/sda3                Linux
dev/sda4	        Extended
dev/sda5                Linux LVM

dev/sdb1                dell utility
dev/sdb2   * boot        HPFS/NTFS
dev/sdb3                linux
any help is appreciated

thanks

Last edited by rietsit; 06-04-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: format
 
Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
amani
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Kolkata, India
Distribution: 64-bit GNU/Linux, Kubuntu64, Fedora QA, Slackware,
Posts: 2,758

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
get supergrub disk and install grub again automatically

Or you may need to edit the file in /boot/grub/grub.conf
 
Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
rietsit
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 17

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks amani,

supuergrub's website is down, but I was able to get the disk from freshmeat 0.9797, i assume it is uptodate version
I thrink, I tried everything on the CD however i did not get pass the same errors above,
...Mount: could not find filesystem /dev/root
 
Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
fritz_p
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: buenos aires
Distribution: opensuse 10.3, opensuse 11.0, fedora 10
Posts: 26
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rietsit View Post
Hi,

yesterday I formatted one of the partitions on hdb. I was using Gparted and I formatted it to EXT4.

I was working on the PC and then I wanted to shutdown the PC and I saw a confirmation from Gparted that all actions were successfull (I assume it was the format of the B drive partition, then I just shut down the PC, without checking anything.
this morning I turn on and cannot boot,
-tried booting old kernel from grub, no luck.
-tried Fedora 10 DVD -recovery said "no linux partitions"
-disabled B drive in BIOS and tried everything again, noluck

This is the boot error from FC10:
Code:
VolGroup00 not found
Unable to access resume device (dev/Volgroup00/lgVol01)
Mount: could not find filesystem /dev/root
Reading all physical volumes
Could not find device with uuid…….
VolGroup00 not found
Then I tried Fedora 10 DVD –rescue installed system

I got error:
Code:
You don’t have any linux partitions, press return to get a shell.”

I tried :
Code:
fdisk –l

dev/sda1                dell utility
dev/sda2   * boot       HPFS/NTFS
dev/sda3                Linux
dev/sda4	        Extended
dev/sda5                Linux LVM

dev/sdb1                dell utility
dev/sdb2   * boot        HPFS/NTFS
dev/sdb3                linux
any help is appreciated

thanks
!!! sorry !!!, instead of quoting you, I sent a report. I hope its fine.

Basically: I have a similar problem, but I just managed to boot.

try:

# pvs

# lvdisplay /dev/VolGroup00

and replace the UUID for your /root partition into your menu.lst.
In my case it started booting, then it said it did not find that address and asked me to change to what I had originally, /dev/system/root, which wont be your case.

....

well, I hope this is of any help.
 
Old 06-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
fritz_p
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: buenos aires
Distribution: opensuse 10.3, opensuse 11.0, fedora 10
Posts: 26
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rietsit View Post
Hi,


i am using Fedora 10, dual boot with XP, fedora is on a LVM volume
have 2 identical 80GB drives:
hda-fedora 10 dual boot with XP
hdb-just for backups 2 partitions NTFS and Linux

thanks
Hi, actually what helped me out was to change the MBR in order to boot from somewhere else,
it was actually fine with the original lines.

The problem is, so far, that the LVM is not found when the pc is turned on, so that the grub there doesnt exist. Booting from a different partition works.

My problem arised after I installed fc10 in a ext3 logical partition, and my suse11.0 in the LVM became invisible.

I should stop posting and quit for the day!
i might create more confusion than enlightment.
fp
 
Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
rietsit
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 17

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks fritz_p,

how did you change it to boot from a different partition.

I was able to boot from FC11 live KDE cd and "mount the volume after reboot" but when I restarted it did not boot, I guess it did not save the changes
 
Old 06-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
fritz_p
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: buenos aires
Distribution: opensuse 10.3, opensuse 11.0, fedora 10
Posts: 26
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rietsit View Post
thanks fritz_p,

how did you change it to boot from a different partition.

I was able to boot from FC11 live KDE cd and "mount the volume after reboot" but when I restarted it did not boot, I guess it did not save the changes
I installed a new linux OS in that partition, which was empty and I wanted to format anyway (FC10 actually, but I guess any OS will do).

That automatically set the MBR to that partition.

That is not the fine way to do things! Its killing a fly with a nuclear bomb. When I know how to do it in a more elegant way I will.
I thought that booting from a boot partition should have worked but somehow it didn't.

Good luck. I'll let you know when I find a nicier way.
 
Old 06-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
fritz_p
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: buenos aires
Distribution: opensuse 10.3, opensuse 11.0, fedora 10
Posts: 26
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rietsit View Post
thanks fritz_p,

how did you change it to boot from a different partition.
continued from last post:

Unfortunatelly I didn't document everything I did and panicked in the meantime, but I guess the clue was to edit my menu.lst in the new linux partition to let it know where my OS in the LVM was.
Then I set in menu.lst

default=1

so that the second OS there (my original OS) gets booted by default,
and (one line)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.20-0.1-default root=/dev/system/root
resume=/dev/system/swap splash=silent showopts vga=0x317

where /dev/system/ is where the LVM in /dev/sda4 is mounted.

Now I can get

#pvs

PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sda4 system lvm2 a- 11.43G 0

so I know /dev/sda4 is mounted on /dev/system:

# ls /dev/system
home root swap

but df tells me:
# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/system-root
5653648 4061580 1304944 76% /
udev 517344 120 517224 1% /dev
/dev/sda3 69972 18187 48172 28% /boot
/dev/mapper/system-home
5108128 1318080 3530568 28% /home

................................................................

I hope you can make something out of this information.
For computing, I prefer to get some useless info than not enough.

Please let me know if you would like more information.
I am logging remotely on that computer, per ssh, so I would not be booting right now.
Bye
f
 
Old 06-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
rietsit
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 17

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks fritz_p,
I guess I will have to install new OS like you said.

i tried to change the grub to UUID that I got from the LVM on the live cd but it did not take the changes
 
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
rietsit
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 17

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
i was not even able to install new system, gave me all kinds of errors about problems with storage devices, I even had to reformat all the linux partitions. still no go, tried LVm from FC11 live cd, no help,

no I am going to gparted livecd and will just delete all the linux partitions.
 
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
fritz_p
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: buenos aires
Distribution: opensuse 10.3, opensuse 11.0, fedora 10
Posts: 26
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rietsit View Post
i was not even able to install new system, gave me all kinds of errors about problems with storage devices, I even had to reformat all the linux partitions. still no go, tried LVm from FC11 live cd, no help,

no I am going to gparted livecd and will just delete all the linux partitions.
that is strange because once you have a new partition you should be able to install a new linux distribution and forget about the rest, I think.
I hope someone else helps you because I can't.
I encountered more serious problems (a kernel update deleted everything in the boot directory for some obscure reason. Then, the AC adapter of that laptop broke and here that means that computer will be out for a while anyway).

I see you have a Dell. Their service should be quite good. Maybe you have some hardware problem too?
Did you try to use just one hard disc and disconnect the other?

Good luck.
 
Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
rietsit
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 17

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I basically erased all partitions besides the windows ones on both hdd's. and let the instalation partition it. I figure I played enough with the manual partitioning

now I am upset because it made a single huge 120gb LVm partition(2x60) from both, but I wanted to have one drive for backups.
 
  


Reply

Tags
fc10, fedora, lvm2, recovery


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Growing an LVM Partition in Fedora 10 using Logical Volume Manager Lee_Ball Linux - General 1 01-29-2009 08:14 AM
Resizing a Fedora 10 partition (lvm) MetallicaQC Linux - Software 2 01-22-2009 11:42 AM
Unable to mount LVM partition of Fedora 4 in Fedora 6 sahi10 Linux - Newbie 2 05-04-2008 01:15 AM
LVM - recovering data after a disk failure. bogaurd Linux - Software 2 12-19-2005 11:34 AM
Recovering data from LVM Child of Wonder Linux - Hardware 5 11-12-2005 06:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration