FedoraThis forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have a default desktop installation of Fedora Core 2, and I'm trying to connect to the internet using wvdial.
(I did all of the following as root)
I type "wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf"
And I get the normal output (acording to documentation) except for the end where it says "/etc/wvdial.conf<warn>: Can't read config file /etc/wvdial.conf: No such file or directory"
Then I edit the wvdial.conf file that was created, adding my dial in number, username, and password, and then save it. After that I type "wvdial" and it initialises the modem, but then complaines that I have not entered a valid phone number, username, or password.
Ok, yet more problems now. I'm getting so fucking sick of this. I never have trouble with any other distro. Anyway now when I run wvdial I get the following output:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT(ISP number)
--> Waiting for carrier.
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
~[7f]}#@!]!@} &}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&$*/}'}"}(}"}1}$}%t}3}*}!RKM-POPO}-~
--> PPP negotiation detected.
Starting pppd at Tue Jun 29 13:52:11 2004
--> pid of pppd: 2957
--> Disconnecting at Tue Jun 29 13:52:11 2004
--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail
--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man
pages for more information.
--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
As you can see, it pretty much dials in, and disconnects straight
away, and in the few seconds it seems to be online, I can't send or
recieve anything to or from the internet anyway.
I checked my /var/log/messages file I found the following lines that
might be relevant:
Jun 29 13:38:07 localhost pppd: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
Jun 29 13:38:08 localhost pppd: Using interface ppp0
Jun 29 13:38:08 localhost pppd: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttys1
Jun 29 13:38:08 localhost pppd: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Jun 29 13:38:26 localhost pppd: Modem hangup
Jun 29 13:38:26 localhost pppd: Connection terminated.
Jun 29 13:38:26 localhost pppd: Exit
hmm..I assume you have /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.conf and /etc/resolv.conf set up (though they shouldn't affect this..but anyway, when you get connected they need to be all right)
the error code seems to mean that your modem is fighting back..but I'm not completely sure about that, since I have had similar disconnection-problem myself; after a connection it was up for about 10 seconds (and did nothing) and then died. I was unable to find the cause for the problem back then, but updating wvdial (and pppd too?) did the trick and everything worked fine after that.
I'm not sure whether you use the newest version of wvdial or not..but after some googling it seems that some version(s) of wvdial (ok - let's not say wvdial but either it or it's dependencies) are "broken" so they just don't work. I didn't find an answer that would explain whether it was a bad compilation, "broken" binary or some system-thing that caused this..but anyway, updating wvdial and it's dependencies seemed to fix this problem on the cases I saw while googling..
so, if you can't find any other solution (it can't be rights-based, since you run pppd as root), try updating wvdial and possibly it's dependencies. or, actually updating pppd, since I can't see any error caused by wvdial itself (it connects, after all, and the error is given by pppd)..