This bug is still a problem in vanilla Archlinux with xfce4 + xine-ui + compiz-fusion as of 22th december 2009.
You've probably already moved on/fixed the problem, but I'll throw a possible solution up here for other users googling the problem. I apologize in advance for bumping an year-old thread. There's red text above the reply-box which warns me against posting old, irrelevant replies.
The solution the OP is directing to is a CVS-commit-log for a specific revision of xitk.c
, ie. a change in some code in the xine-ui source tree. Essentially you'd have to build xine-ui from the sourcecode yourself, with the specified changes to the relevant file.
(I'll be very explicit)
I downloaded the latest source code release (0.99.5 at the time of writing) for xine-ui
. (Note: Download the code for "xine-ui", not xine-lib or any of the others listed.
) Sadly I cannot link to urls directly because of my brand new account on linuxquestions, so you'll have to google for it. It's located on sourceforge.
After that, I extracted the sourcecode and attempted to build the source code (./configure && make
in the xine-ui-0.99-5
directory), to see if it could compile without modification.
(You'd obviously need some of the basic compiling tools to do this, but you should be able to find them on your distribution's website and download them through the package managers.)
In order to incorporate the fix, I downloaded the revised version of the xitk.c file from the site the OP is linking to. Scroll up to the top and click Code -> CVS browse. You'll have to traverse through some directories: xine-ui > src > xitk > xine-toolkit > xitk.c
When you click on the file, you'll be presented with a list of revisions for xitk.c. The changes specified in the "solution log" is from revision 1.162 to 1.163 - ie: Head down to the entry and download xitk.c with the 1.163 revision.
After that you'll have to replace the old xitk.c file (located in in your extracted directory xine-ui-0.99.5/src/xitk/xine-toolkit/xitk.c
) with the revised xitk.c from the cvs-directory.
After that I did another make
and tried executing the new xine executable while compiz was enabled: ./xine located at xine-ui-0.99.5/src/xitk/xine
If it works succesfully, I recommend copying the new xine executable to /usr/bin/xine (or whereever it is installed), so It'll replace the old one. (note: Doing a "make install" will probably do something similar.
I've only noticed one bug with this setup so far: When compiz is enabled, there's some completely transparent borders to the right and bottom of xine's video feed. This, of course, could just be a problem with my chosen window manager theme and some inaccuracies in border sizes. Be ready to reinstall the packaged version for your given distribution though, if this fix breaks more than it helps.
Well, I hope it helps.