X won't start - Intel 845G chip - new testing install
I need a plan of attack and I hope someone can help.
- Xorg error messages can be pretty cryptic. I deliberately did not post whole log as that seemed to cause eyes to glaze over among debian-user members. Ditto for xorg.conf.
I would be happy to post more of these if requested.
- The driver for my chipset, Intel 82845G, appears to be under lots of change this year. In fact, I've used probably three different versions and all have failed to start X.
All I get is that little click, then am dropped back to the terminal session from which I issued "startx".
Vanilla etch xorg fails to start X.
Vanilla upgrade to testing xorg fails to start X.
Downgrading video driver to earlier "i810" driver fails to start X, too.
To compound my confusion, each of these gives different error message sets which I won't attempt to summarize here.
Here's the current setup and the Xorg log error messages:
- Critical packages (all in testing) (tell me if you need to see more):
- 2:1.7.2-4 xserver-xorg-video-i810
- 2:184.108.40.206.dfsg-12 xserver-xorg-core
- 1:7.2-5 xserver-xorg
- probed chipset result:
PCI:*(0:2:0) Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
rev 3, Mem @ 0xe0000000/27, 0xe8100000/19
Hitachi 803 (older 21in high bandwidth CRT)
- xorg.conf is stripped version of what dpkg-reconfigure produced after testing upgrade, based on suggestions from debian-user member, the idea being to let X probe. And it seems to be okay, X does seem to probe accurately.
- specifies Driver "i810"
- specifies DefaultDepth 16
- loads "dri" and "glx" and has Section "DRI" Mode 0666
- has no monitor specs beyond Option "DPMS"
- has no SubSection "Display" stanzas in Section "Screen"
- "(EE)" errors from Xorg.0.log:
I810(0): V_BIOS address 0x80200 out of range
I810(0): VBE initialization failed
Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.