DebianThis forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I had made some changes to /etc/apt/preferences and did an:
# aptitude full-upgrade
A bunch of packages were upgraded to unstable, and the end result was that something in the upgrade made xscreensaver scream and die.
I'd get the error message telling me that the xscreensaver daemon wasn't running (even though I have it in my KDE Autostart directory) and would I like to run it, I say "yes" and then I'd get the error message telling me something to the effect that "xscreensaver daemon did not start up properly" and that I should check my $PATH.
Thus, xscreensaver wasn't working. But KDE's less-than-perfect screensaver did work. But since kscreensaver is not xscreensaver, it is, therefore, inferior, and not worth using....
I looked through the appropriate log in /var/log/ and noted that xscreensaver wasn't upgraded. Hence, the problem was not with xscreensaver but with something else that was no longer playing nice with xscreensaver. I noted that some xserver-xorg-* packages had been upgraded, and I guessed that the problem was in this particular set of upgrades.
My xorg.conf file had not been changed since July, so the problem wasn't in there. I didn't have any permission-related problems with respect to executing xscreensaver. I exhausted every possible configuration-related problem that I could think of. So, the problem had to be package-upgrade-related.
I took the lazy way out and downgraded both of the xserver-xorg-* packages that were upgraded to unstable back to testing. And the problem was corrected.
I'm not sure what the problem was, and I had not collected enough relevant information to write up a bug report on the problem.