LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Debian (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/)
-   -   Problem with ppp internet access (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/problem-with-ppp-internet-access-4175427186/)

beopen 09-14-2012 02:11 AM

Problem with ppp internet access
 
hi,
Running debian squeeze
Adsl internet connection using pppoeconf method
Problem: unable to connect to net
Output of following commands is this:
# plog
Code:

Sep 13 12:54:15 debian pppd[1434]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: CHAP authentication succeeded: CHAP authentication success, unit 9557
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: peer from calling number 00:30:88:14:0F:F3 authorized
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: not replacing existing default route via 192.168.1.1
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: local  IP address 117.217.4.0
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: remote IP address 117.217.0.1
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: primary  DNS address 218.248.255.212
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: secondary DNS address 218.248.255.211

Code:

PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=1 ttl=128 time=0.301 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=2 ttl=128 time=0.357 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=3 ttl=128 time=0.296 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 1999ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.296/0.318/0.357/0.027 ms

Code:

#ping google.com/msn.com then message is unknown host
or
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Net Unreachable
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=2 Destination Net Unreachable
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=3 Destination Net Unreachable


ifconfig :

Code:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1d:7d:7e:3e:49 
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21d:7dff:fe7e:3e49/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:33 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:35 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2806 (2.7 KiB)  TX bytes:2838 (2.7 KiB)
          Interrupt:26 Base address:0xe000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:560 (560.0 B)  TX bytes:560 (560.0 B)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol 
          inet addr:117.207.218.191  P-t-P:117.207.216.1  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1460  Metric:1
          RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:94 (94.0 B)  TX bytes:54 (54.0 B)

Pls help me out with this.

Regards

widget 09-15-2012 11:01 AM

Is there some particular reason you are trying to do this? Sharing a connection with another computer?

I have only used ppp for dialup, where it works great, and use eth0 currently for my dsl connection.

gradinaruvasile 09-15-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beopen (Post 4779989)
hi,
Running debian squeeze
Adsl internet connection using pppoeconf method
Problem: unable to connect to net
Output of following commands is this:
# plog
Code:

Sep 13 12:54:15 debian pppd[1434]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: CHAP authentication succeeded: CHAP authentication success, unit 9557
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: peer from calling number 00:30:88:14:0F:F3 authorized
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: not replacing existing default route via 192.168.1.1
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: local  IP address 117.217.4.0
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: remote IP address 117.217.0.1
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: primary  DNS address 218.248.255.212
Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: secondary DNS address 218.248.255.211

Code:

PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=1 ttl=128 time=0.301 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=2 ttl=128 time=0.357 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=3 ttl=128 time=0.296 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 1999ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.296/0.318/0.357/0.027 ms

Code:

#ping google.com/msn.com then message is unknown host
or
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Net Unreachable
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=2 Destination Net Unreachable
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=3 Destination Net Unreachable


ifconfig :

Code:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1d:7d:7e:3e:49 
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21d:7dff:fe7e:3e49/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:33 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:35 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2806 (2.7 KiB)  TX bytes:2838 (2.7 KiB)
          Interrupt:26 Base address:0xe000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:560 (560.0 B)  TX bytes:560 (560.0 B)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol 
          inet addr:117.207.218.191  P-t-P:117.207.216.1  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1460  Metric:1
          RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:94 (94.0 B)  TX bytes:54 (54.0 B)

Pls help me out with this.

Regards

First:

Pinging the eth0's gateway (sorry, i misread first time) has no purpose. If you want to check the gateway, that is not shown with ifconfig, but with "ip rou". Anyway, here you want to connect to the net via the ppp0 interface so its gateway should be tested:
Code:

ping 117.207.216.1
Second:

Your net connection is via the pppoe link. The ppp0(virtual pppoe) interface is just as real as eth0(real LAN) as far as the OS sees it.
The issue is that your default route is still via eth0:
Quote:

Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: not replacing existing default route via 192.168.1.1
and
Quote:

From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Net Unreachable
You probably have a working net connection via pppoe (you got ip, dns etc), but the system is set up so that he tries to go out via your eth0 connection.

The routes can be seen/manipulated with the "ip rou" command:
To see your routes, type:
Code:

ip rou
Your first line probably reads:

Code:

default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth0
So, fixing it: delete the default route then create the needed one:

Code:

sudo ip rou delete default
sudo ip rou add default via 117.207.216.1 dev ppp0

Note the "sudo" prefixes - those commands have to be run as root.

Now, this is a temporary fix - i think pppoeconf can do this automatically if you set up it that way (you can run again "sudo pppoeconf").

Or check your /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider (or whatever name you gave) file and look for "defaultroute" - if its there and has a # in front of it, uncomment it by deleting the # character (you need root rights to acces this file).

beopen 09-16-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widget (Post 4781024)
Is there some particular reason you are trying to do this? Sharing a connection with another computer?

I have only used ppp for dialup, where it works great, and use eth0 currently for my dsl connection.


hi,
This is a plain single desktop for home use.All i did so far is the base installation and then setup the ppp connection using the pppoeconf method. There also i answered the questions it asked straightforward and completed the setup. Upon connecting i found i am unable to acess the internet.So far no manual changes i have made.You are right,Infact even on my ubuntu system ppp works fine and till date i never had any problems after i first setup.


@gradinaruvasile:
Now i did the following as you said.
1.sudo ip rou delete default - this executes
2.sudo ip rou add default via 117.207.216.1 dev ppp0 - it gives the message "cannot find device ppp0"

Then a strange thing happened.
I just ran the pppoeconf setup and did it the same way like the first time and i found i can connect, and i can ping outside sites eg google.com
But post reboot status is again 'destination not reachable'.
now this is the output of the commands again on debian:
Code:

plog
Sep 16 20:18:41 debian pppd[1405]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Sep 16 20:18:42 debian pppd[1405]: CHAP authentication succeeded: CHAP authentication success, unit 920
Sep 16 20:18:42 debian pppd[1405]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Sep 16 20:18:42 debian pppd[1405]: peer from calling number 00:30:88:14:0F:F3 authorized
Sep 16 20:18:42 debian pppd[1405]: not replacing existing default route via 192.168.1.1
Sep 16 20:18:42 debian pppd[1405]: local  IP address 117.204.171.29
Sep 16 20:18:42 debian pppd[1405]: remote IP address 117.204.160.1
Sep 16 20:18:42 debian pppd[1405]: primary  DNS address 218.248.255.212
Sep 16 20:18:42 debian pppd[1405]: secondary DNS address 218.248.255.211

ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1d:7d:7e:3e:49 
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21d:7dff:fe7e:3e49/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:64 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:5076 (4.9 KiB)  TX bytes:5042 (4.9 KiB)
          Interrupt:26 Base address:0x8000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:560 (560.0 B)  TX bytes:560 (560.0 B)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol 
          inet addr:117.204.171.29  P-t-P:117.204.160.1  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1460  Metric:1
          RX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:1410 (1.3 KiB)  TX bytes:54 (54.0 B)

PING
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Net Unreachable
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=2 Destination Net Unreachable
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=3 Destination Net Unreachable
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=4 Destination Net Unreachable
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=5 Destination Net Unreachable
From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=6 Destination Net Unreachable

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 0 received, +6 errors, 100% packet loss, time 4997ms

route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination    Gateway        Genmask        Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
117.204.160.1  *              255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
192.168.1.0    *              255.255.255.0  U    0      0        0 eth0
default        192.168.1.1    0.0.0.0        UG    0      0        0 eth0

ip rou
117.204.160.1 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src 117.204.164.135
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.2
default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth0

however on my other system which runs ubuntu this is the stats of these two commands.
Code:

desktop:~$ ip rou
117.204.160.1 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src 117.204.169.147
169.254.0.0/16 dev ppp0  scope link  metric 1000
default via 117.204.160.1 dev ppp0  proto static
desktop:~$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination    Gateway        Genmask        Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
117.204.160.1  *              255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
link-local      *              255.255.0.0    U    1000  0        0 ppp0
default        117.204.160.1  0.0.0.0        UG    0      0        0 ppp0

On ubuntu it is just an automatic setup using the network manager

One another thing i noted is the gateway address. When i first posted it is seen as 117.207.216.1 now it is 117.204.160.1 on both the systems.
PS:
Lastly i would like to add one point. On ubuntu 10.04 i have had no issues using ppp, setup is automatic & straightforward using Network manager applet.However a few time ago i noticed a similar issue like now when i installed arch linux and there i setup ppp using the rp-pppoe package. In there Beginners guide, 2 methods are prescribed for network configuration one is DHCP and Static. I chose dhcp as it has almost no configuration work and i got connected post setup once or twice; then it suddenly stopped connecting at all and pings failed.[note: i had even not made a system update or any further installation other than the base,yet the problem happened] I reinstalled and still the same problem repeated, once or twice getting connected after the fresh setup and again the same. I posted query but no solution. So finally i setup using static ip and till date it has worked smoothly with no issues at all.I knew then also there was no problem with the pppoe package but something in that DHCP implementation.Somehow it failed for reasons i dont know as there is hardly anything to configure for DHCP method. So i resorted to the Static method which needs configuration.
My configuration then in rc.conf under networking section was this:
Code:

HOSTNAME="arch"
interface=eth0
address=192.168.1.2
netmask=255.255.255.255       
broadcast=192.168.0.255       
gateway=192.168.1.1

and finally nameservers in the /etc/resolv.conf which i gave of google.

My point here is this was the first time where i found that DHCP way was causing a problem. Now in debian this is the second time i am finding this.Again i am at just the fresh base installation with nothing updated or installed as i was in arch linux.Though no issues on ubuntu with ppp as i never had to configure anything.

gradinaruvasile 09-16-2012 02:21 PM

I dont remember exactly the questions pppoeconf asks, but if i remember correctly (i used it a few times) there is some way of setting the "defaultroute" parameter.

Just make sure the /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider file has the "defaultroute" option in it like this:

Code:

# Use this connection as the default route.
# Comment out if you already have the correct default route installed.
defaultroute

PS Network-manager exists in all Linux distributions (desktop), including Debian, you can install it with:

Code:

aptitude install network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp network-manager-pptp-gnome

business_kid 09-16-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Sep 13 12:54:16 debian pppd[1434]: not replacing existing default route via 192.168.1.1
It looks to me like not much might be wrong. Eth0 comes up with a 192.168.x.x address (internal) and snags the default route. ppp0 comes up, but the box doesn't care, it sends everything to eth0. You need to get the default onto ppp0. Maybe have your isp in /etc/resolv.conf and put your local network in /etc/hosts. That way, your local network (hopefully) gets checked first, but the default is the internet.

gradinaruvasile 09-17-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by business_kid (Post 4781791)
It looks to me like not much might be wrong. Eth0 comes up with a 192.168.x.x address (internal) and snags the default route. ppp0 comes up, but the box doesn't care, it sends everything to eth0. You need to get the default onto ppp0. Maybe have your isp in /etc/resolv.conf and put your local network in /etc/hosts. That way, your local network (hopefully) gets checked first, but the default is the internet.

The only thing that needs to be changed is to make pppd replace the default route (the "defaultroute" option). I had pppoe internet before on Debian and worked perfectly well, never had any issues, only you have to set this option.
No need to mess up everything else.

business_kid 09-18-2012 03:44 AM

Try what I said in post #6

put your local lan in /etc/hosts (not resolv.conf), and put your isp in resolv.conf.
That way, the local lan addresses are 'known hosts, but the3 default route goes to isp'

beopen 09-20-2012 06:08 AM

after the post no 5 i checked for the 'default route' option and found it was proper. Thereafter it just occured to me to why not delete the 'dsl-provider'file from the /etc/ppp/peers/ folder and once again run the setup. This occured to me because during setup the program asks to backup the 'dsl-provider' as it will be modifying it now.
Thereafer i ran the setup and from then till now on the connection runs fine, no problems.
I am just pasting some of the changes seen now in the working connection as from posted above previously.

Code:

route command output
Kernel IP routing table
Destination    Gateway        Genmask        Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
117.204.160.1  *              255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
192.168.1.0    *              255.255.255.0  U    0      0        0 eth0
default        *              0.0.0.0        U    0      0        0 ppp0

ip route command output
117.204.160.1 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src 117.204.170.143
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.2
default dev ppp0  scope link

plog command output[changed portion]
Sep 18 13:10:45 debian pppd[1423]: replacing old default route to eth0 [192.168.1.1]

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1        localhost
127.0.1.1        debian

honestly i dont know what has happened but i am having a working connection now for last 3 days and running fine. I am googling now to learn more. But definitely would like to hear from you people for bits of learning.

gradinaruvasile 09-21-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

honestly i dont know what has happened but i am having a working connection now for last 3 days and running fine. I am googling now to learn more. But definitely would like to hear from you people for bits of learning.
This happened:

Code:

Sep 18 13:10:45 debian pppd[1423]: replacing old default route to eth0 [192.168.1.1]
What i was saying. The default route is correctly replaced.

Although this is interesting:
Code:

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1

This is all you got in resolv.conf? If so, you might consider to changing it to:

Code:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
This google's dnss sserver - i use it everywhere and works really well.

beopen 09-22-2012 01:07 PM

yeah i was also using the same google dns servers on my arch linux installation .

business_kid 09-23-2012 08:32 AM

This one
Quote:

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1
Happens because dhcpcd & dhclient overwrite the existing resolv.conf. If you take a laptop to hotels, campuses, wifi hot spots, they often insist on their own dns servers for control purposes, you need this to happen. If you want resolv.conf to stay the same, There is some variable (DHCP_KEEPRESOLV?) you can tweak for it.

To avoid 192.168.1.1, set up dns servers in the router; it then passes them with the connection, and they appear in resolv.conf when you're at home.

beopen 09-25-2012 04:40 AM

I thank everybody for taking interest on my post and helping me around with it.
My best wishes to you all.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.