LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Debian (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/)
-   -   Iceweasel or Firefox? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/iceweasel-or-firefox-603056/)

Zaskar 11-28-2007 01:36 PM

Iceweasel or Firefox?
 
Just curious what most other Debian users use to browse the web between those 2. Any reasons you use one over the other?

pljvaldez 11-28-2007 01:55 PM

I used Iceweasel because it was available in the repos for Etch and I try to stick with stock Debian software from the stable repository if possible. It has allowed me to successfully dist-upgrade from Woody thru Etch with no problems.

war1025 11-28-2007 01:58 PM

Iceweasel is available for the 64 bit architecture. From what I could tell, firefox is not.

pixellany 11-28-2007 02:52 PM

Iceweasel and Firefox are the same thing.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_...an_and_Mozilla

There are various things running around the net about why this issue exists---and abundant opinions.

Zaskar 11-28-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 2973717)
Iceweasel and Firefox are the same thing.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_...an_and_Mozilla

There are various things running around the net about why this issue exists---and abundant opinions.

I know, its why I refereed to it as rebrandded in the topic :D (Firefox couldn't be included due to Debians wish to use only open source software, and while Firefox is, the error reporting tol it comes with isnt, and Firefox doesnt want to allow any distribution of it without that tool included, for now atleast)

I was just curious what people still used, and if they ahd any reasons behind it :D

farslayer 11-28-2007 03:42 PM

Actually my understanding was more along the lines of the copyrighted icons were not freely licensed, and Debians modifications to Firefox code not being run through the mozilla Firefox group.. You can't make unapproved changes and still call it Firefox..

To me they act the same, work the same, use the same extensions, so it's a moot point. I use whichever is readily available..

rob33n 11-28-2007 03:57 PM

+1 pixellany

vermaden 11-28-2007 05:36 PM

Iceweasel IS Firefox, so no matter which option you choose you vote for Firefox.

Debian project just did not liked the Firefox trademark/logo and only changed its name, same for Thunderbird and Seamonkey.

Read more here:
http://berkano.net/bits/2006/10/12/f...kill-iceweasel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_...an_and_Mozilla

pixellany 11-28-2007 05:38 PM

Ok--here's my vote:

It seems that Debian is the only distro that has an issue with Firefox. I am used to using Firefox, and it is past annoying to be out distro-hopping and run into the Debian issue--whatever it is. So my vote is that Debian should fix it ---so everyone can worry about something that has a fighting chance of improving my Linux productivity.

So there......

farslayer 11-28-2007 09:11 PM

well it's not Firefox they didn't like, they are simply following the dfsg. I can't say it's a bad thing for a project to write a contract and stick to it, instead of being wishy washy and changing their views every time they hit a snag, like some politicians :)

craigevil 11-29-2007 02:09 PM

Iceweasel with the useragent changed to Firefox, in order to get Google extensions to install. Other than that Iceweasel IS Firefox, I could care less what its called. They both work the same, I know I ran the same version of Mozilla's Firefox and the debian version for 3 yrs not once did I notice anything different in page rendering, speed, crashes, etc.

Generated: Thu Nov 29 2007 15:06:29 GMT-0500 (EST)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.10) Gecko/20071115 Firefox/2.0.0.10 (Debian-2.0.0.10-2)
Build ID: 2007111502

Enabled Extensions: [22]
- Bookmark Duplicate Detector 0.6.3
- ColorfulTabs 2.0.7
- CookieSafe 2.0.6
- Copy URL + 1.3.2
- Flashblock 1.5.4.1
- FlashGot 0.7
- Google Notebook 1.0.0.18
- Google Toolbar for Firefox 3.0.20070525L
- Greasemonkey 0.7.20070607.0
- InfoLister 0.9f.2
- Konquefox 1.3
- Mouse Gestures 1.5.2
- MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.6
- Nightly Tester Tools 1.3b1
- NoScript 1.1.8.3
- PDF Download 0.9.3.2
- sidux Forums Menu 0.22
- Stylish 0.5.3
- Tabbrowser Preferences 1.3.1.1
- Torbutton 1.0.4
- translator 1.0.4.3
- United States English Dictionary 2.0.0.6

Disabled Extensions: [2]
- ChatZilla 0.9.79
- Gmail Space 0.5.92

Total Extensions: 24

Installed Themes: [2]
- Iceweasel (default)
- Mostly Crystal 2.0.0.17

Installed Plugins: (11)
- Adobe Reader 8.0
- DivX Browser Plug-In
- Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible
- Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03-b05
- MozPlugger 1.8.0 handles QuickTime and Windows Media Player Plugin
- mplayerplug-in 3.45
- OpenOffice.org Plug-in
- QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7
- RealPlayer 9
- Shockwave Flash
- Windows Media Player Plugin

Brian McKenna Weblog » 5 Reasons to Support IceWeasel
http://brianmckenna.org/blog/linux/5...ort-iceweasel/

GNU Gnuzilla and IceWeasel
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

Facts about Debian and Mozilla® Firefox®
http://times.debian.net/1022-iceweasel

GNU IceWeasel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceWeasel

Iceweasel and User Agents
http://www.geticeweasel.org/useragent/

Personally I would worry about using a browser or pretty much any package that doesn't get security updates from Debian.

nx5000 11-29-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farslayer (Post 2973755)
Actually my understanding was more along the lines of the copyrighted icons were not freely licensed, and Debians modifications to Firefox code not being run through the mozilla Firefox group.. You can't make unapproved changes and still call it Firefox..

To me they act the same, work the same, use the same extensions, so it's a moot point. I use whichever is readily available..

My understanding too. I'm very often on the BTS and there had been conflicts about how mozilla manages their patches.

+1 to you


Quote:

well it's not Firefox they didn't like, they are simply following the dfsg. I can't say it's a bad thing for a project to write a contract and stick to it, instead of being wishy washy and changing their views every time they hit a snag, like some politicians
+2 then


There is nothing to fix. People who don't understand why Debian HAD to take iceweasel shouldn't waste their time with debian.
Also http://www.us.debian.org/social_contract
Please read five times the first point.

I use Iceweasel cause it's free, it's maintained by Debian and it's in the repositories.

Btw, you forget the (c) or (r) next to firefox, it's not legal!

nx5000 11-29-2007 03:19 PM

I see in the near future this thread getting at least 4 pages :)

4TElevn 11-29-2007 03:34 PM

Iceweasel for me - there is no perceivable difference really other than the name. Iceweasel actually seems better than other distros' versions of Firefox. :)

hitest 11-29-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigevil (Post 2974760)
Iceweasel with the useragent changed to Firefox, in order to get Google extensions to install. Other than that Iceweasel IS Firefox, I could care less what its called. They both work the same, I know I ran the same version of Mozilla's Firefox and the debian version for 3 yrs not once did I notice anything different in page rendering, speed, crashes, etc.

I run Fire Fox 2.0.0.10 on my Slackware box and Ice Weasel 2.0.0.8 on my Etch/Lenny boxes. I agree with craigevil, I don't notice any difference between the two. Fire Fox or Ice Weasel, I don't really care what the browser is called, it does the job for me. Ice Weasel is an excellent browser.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.