LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
abd_bela
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: algeria
Distribution: redhat 7.3, debian lenny
Posts: 599

Rep: Reputation: 31
iceweasel insted ao firefox


Hi,
The debian communuty uses iceseal instead od firefox ??

is there a special reason and what is the difference between them.
best regards
 
Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
fukawi1
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Fedora & CentOS
Posts: 854

Rep: Reputation: 189Reputation: 189
Iceweasel is a fork of the Firefox project. Same goes for Icedove and Thunderbird.

Similar to OpenOffice, and LibreOffice.

There are plenty of google hits with the differences and what/why it happened. For the majority, it makes little to no difference.
 
Old 12-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Iceweasel is more of a rebranding of firefox. Some good info here-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla...Debian_project

Not that similar to open office/libre office, that is more of a fork, less of a rebranding (libre office was forked from open office after orcale bought sun, because of the possiblility of oracle would discontinue open office or restrict it).

Last edited by cascade9; 01-01-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,384

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...irefox-919284/
 
Old 12-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
snmcdonald
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 55

Rep: Reputation: 0
There were a few issues at stake with Firefox and Debian. Not only was their branding issues the logo and Firefox name, there was also security issues.

Quote:
The Firefox logo is trademarked, so Debian doesn't consider it to be Free and will not include it as part of its distribution. Mozilla claims that using the Firefox name without the official branding is a trademark violation.

Furthermore, Mozilla claims that if Debian runs any patches to the version of Firefox included with Debian distros, it has to run them by Mozilla first for approval.
....

Quote:
"In an e-mail sent to Debian developers, Mozilla staffer Mike Connor explained that the Mozilla Corporation has been handling patch approvals from distributions since the corporation's inception in September of 2005.

"The way this works (and the way Red Hat and Novell have already gone through the process for 1.0 and 1.5) is that you have to submit patches that deviate from the source tarballs in order to continue to use the trademark," Connor wrote.

"This is us attempting to tell you that what you are doing is not correct and needs to change.

"If you are going to use the Firefox name, you must also use the rest of the branding," Connor continued. "This is not something where you are free to pick what parts you want to use. Either use the trademarked logos and name together or don't."
-Internet News




Quote:
Additionally, as Debian releases are frozen on a long-term basis, software in the frozen stable releases needs to be patched for any newly-discovered security issue. Under the revised guidelines, in order to use the Firefox name, approval from the Mozilla Corporation would have been required for all security patches, but the Debian project felt it could not put its security in the hands of an external corporation in that manner.
-Wikipedia
 
Old 12-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
craigevil
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 4,733
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by abd_bela View Post
Hi,
The debian communuty uses iceseal instead od firefox ??

is there a special reason and what is the difference between them.
best regards
Iceweasel IS Firefox - https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...irefox-919284/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,857

Rep: Reputation: 617Reputation: 617Reputation: 617Reputation: 617Reputation: 617Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigevil View Post
Take a deep breath Craig
 
Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 3,508

Rep: Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800
I disagree with Iceweasel is Firefox because Iceweasel!=Firefox.
They are both almost the same and it's arguable which is "safest" or "more stable" but since they are not identical they are not the same thing.
Personally, I am lazy so I use the latest Firefox and force add-ons to work because I found Iceweasel version numbers weren't ideal at the time. Then I decided to get Firefox from the Firefox team.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
craigevil
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 4,733
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457
$ apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
Installed: 9.0.1-1
Candidate: 9.0.1-1

Well how about that? Same version as the current Firefox release, and it was released the day after Mozilla released Firefox 9.0.1.

If you use the mozilla.debian.net repo you can also install Aurora and Beta versions.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 3,508

Rep: Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800
Sounds good. I may try it.

Last edited by 273; 01-01-2012 at 02:25 AM.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #11
widget
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: S.E. Montana
Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE
Posts: 2,299

Rep: Reputation: 388Reputation: 388Reputation: 388Reputation: 388
Besides all that, Iceweasel is a better name.

It really is the same thing under the hood but with up to date Debian security support. I trust Debian more than Mozilla (a fine bunch none the less).

I don't blame craigevil at all. This topic really does get old very quickly.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,384

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
I disagree with Iceweasel is Firefox because Iceweasel!=Firefox.
Oh well that explains it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
They are both almost the same and it's arguable which is "safest" or "more stable" but since they are not identical they are not the same thing.
You can be pedantic about it, but if you're going to say program A is not program B because program A, despite being virtually identical, has a different name and different logos, then you're missing the point. If this were going on in the proprietary software world it would be a team of software patent lawyers screaming "Iceweasel IS Firefox!" not a few well meaning individuals on a forum trying their best to advise others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
Personally, I am lazy so I use the latest Firefox and force add-ons to work because I found Iceweasel version numbers weren't ideal at the time. Then I decided to get Firefox from the Firefox team.
No, being lazy is adding the mozilla.debian.net repo.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 3,508

Rep: Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800
The '!=' was a little tongue in cheek.
A lawyer may well say they're effectively the same due to the common codebase but by that logic Debian==Slackware==Aandroid depending on how much they have to overlap.
The fact is their updates are coded by different people and Iceweasel has, in the past, lagged behind in versions by quite a long way causing problems with add-ons. Even if it has caught up now with only a small team of developers it's not guaranteed to stay that way so add-on problems could happen again.
The flip side, I suppose, is that Iceweasel could well be more secure and will obviously always be tested with Debian before it's shipped.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,384

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
A lawyer may well say they're effectively the same due to the common codebase but by that logic Debian==Slackware==Aandroid depending on how much they have to overlap.
A program and a distribution are certainly two completely different things, so that's not a valid comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
The fact is their updates are coded by different people and Iceweasel has, in the past, lagged behind in versions by quite a long way causing problems with add-ons. Even if it has caught up now with only a small team of developers it's not guaranteed to stay that way so add-on problems could happen again.
The flip side, I suppose, is that Iceweasel could well be more secure and will obviously always be tested with Debian before it's shipped.
No... Iceweasel is simply built from Firefox source with the name and branding changed. The version of Iceweasel in the stable release has fixes backported from newer releases, the newer versions in the mozilla.debian.net repo are simply built from source with the changed branding. It does not lag behind (unless you're concerned about 24 hours or so?), newer versions have always been available in backports or experimental - it's just that some n00bs choose to rant about "stallmanism" and installing "the real firefox" before actually finding out the facts.

http://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel
http://mozilla.debian.net/

Last edited by cynwulf; 01-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 3,508

Rep: Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800Reputation: 800
They must have bucked their ideas up then because it certainly has lagged behind as mentioned in an article linked to on the thread here suggesting they're the same.
If there's now a guarantee in place that they're following the same version as the latest Firefox then I'll admit they're interchangeable -- certainly wasn't my experience going back not all that long and I still see Iceweasel as largely pointless fork.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iceweasel or Firefox? Zaskar Debian 43 07-05-2014 11:34 PM
Iceweasel IS Firefox craigevil Debian 7 12-18-2011 11:44 AM
How to make Iceweasel into Firefox? stratotak Debian 1 05-15-2009 11:01 PM
Iceweasel to appear as Firefox replica9000 Linux - Software 2 08-26-2008 12:25 AM
Firefox now iceweasel on Debian jstephens84 Debian 10 06-07-2007 12:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration