LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
GTrax
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 206

Rep: Reputation: 32
Iceweasel Confusions


I know that eventually I will discover how to make it right, but for the present, just doing the obvious and following instructions has got me in a mess, and I could use some help.

I have Iceweasel installed and working on Debian 'Etch", and (as it happens) Konqueror is there as well. We wanted to get Macromedia (Adobe) Flash Player plugin working. There it was in Synaptic, so we did the deed, and it all installed - and did not work!
Try again, this time fetching the tar.gz and installing from root. It all went apparently fine.. but no actual working.

Then - in a bizarre moment, we discovered Konqueror, doing its 'scan for plugins, actually finds the Mozilla plugin first, and gets all working OK. Since no amount of reading/configuring would persuade the plugin to operate for Iceweasel, we settle for using Konqueror.

I find so many places where it seems to be...

/home/(me)/.mozilla/plugins/
libflashplayer.so

/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
(Two links here - no actual plugin files)

/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/
libflashplayer.so
libswfdecmozilla.so
liblinuxprintplugin.so
... and 10 other links to plugins of type .so and .xpt

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
(similar list as in iceweasel)

and of course the strange situation of Konqueror able to find and use them all, but meanwhile, their proper application is not able to invoke them. So the questions.
1. Is there a default "correct setup", for Iceweasel, and how do we get there?
2. When a site complains of a non-functional plugin in Iceweasel, does one fetch it from the Mozilla site? In the matter of plugins, does Iceweasel need its own compiled versions?
3. How does Iceweasel use the plugins. Is it all done with links?

Thanks for any help.
 
Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Okie
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 964

Rep: Reputation: 34
all those symlinks point to somewhere, i bet they point to the actual flashplayer plugin file...

i can understand your frustration, debian does make a mess of things, the debian developers should be ashamed of themselves...
 
Old 08-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
utanja
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Europe:Salzburg Austria USA:Orlando,Florida;
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 625

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTrax View Post
I know that eventually I will discover how to make it right, but for the present, just doing the obvious and following instructions has got me in a mess, and I could use some help.

I have Iceweasel installed and working on Debian 'Etch", and (as it happens) Konqueror is there as well. We wanted to get Macromedia (Adobe) Flash Player plugin working. There it was in Synaptic, so we did the deed, and it all installed - and did not work!
Try again, this time fetching the tar.gz and installing from root. It all went apparently fine.. but no actual working.

Then - in a bizarre moment, we discovered Konqueror, doing its 'scan for plugins, actually finds the Mozilla plugin first, and gets all working OK. Since no amount of reading/configuring would persuade the plugin to operate for Iceweasel, we settle for using Konqueror.

I find so many places where it seems to be...

/home/(me)/.mozilla/plugins/
libflashplayer.so

/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
(Two links here - no actual plugin files)

/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/
libflashplayer.so
libswfdecmozilla.so
liblinuxprintplugin.so
... and 10 other links to plugins of type .so and .xpt

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
(similar list as in iceweasel)

and of course the strange situation of Konqueror able to find and use them all, but meanwhile, their proper application is not able to invoke them. So the questions.
1. Is there a default "correct setup", for Iceweasel, and how do we get there?
2. When a site complains of a non-functional plugin in Iceweasel, does one fetch it from the Mozilla site? In the matter of plugins, does Iceweasel need its own compiled versions?
3. How does Iceweasel use the plugins. Is it all done with links?

Thanks for any help.
i place the symlinks in the plugin folder in the directory containing iceweasel.
 
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,242

Rep: Reputation: 573Reputation: 573Reputation: 573Reputation: 573Reputation: 573Reputation: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTrax View Post
I know that eventually I will discover how to make it right, but for the present, just doing the obvious and following instructions has got me in a mess, and I could use some help.

I have Iceweasel installed and working on Debian 'Etch", and (as it happens) Konqueror is there as well. We wanted to get Macromedia (Adobe) Flash Player plugin working. There it was in Synaptic, so we did the deed, and it all installed - and did not work!
Try again, this time fetching the tar.gz and installing from root. It all went apparently fine.. but no actual working.

Then - in a bizarre moment, we discovered Konqueror, doing its 'scan for plugins, actually finds the Mozilla plugin first, and gets all working OK. Since no amount of reading/configuring would persuade the plugin to operate for Iceweasel, we settle for using Konqueror.

I find so many places where it seems to be...

/home/(me)/.mozilla/plugins/
libflashplayer.so

/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
(Two links here - no actual plugin files)

/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/
libflashplayer.so
libswfdecmozilla.so
liblinuxprintplugin.so
... and 10 other links to plugins of type .so and .xpt

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
(similar list as in iceweasel)

and of course the strange situation of Konqueror able to find and use them all, but meanwhile, their proper application is not able to invoke them. So the questions.
1. Is there a default "correct setup", for Iceweasel, and how do we get there?
2. When a site complains of a non-functional plugin in Iceweasel, does one fetch it from the Mozilla site? In the matter of plugins, does Iceweasel need its own compiled versions?
3. How does Iceweasel use the plugins. Is it all done with links?

Thanks for any help.
I find with Iceweasel that when I first go to a flash-enabled site Iceweasel prompts me that a plug-in is needed. Click next and it finds the adobe plug-in and downloads, installs it. No problems with flash in Iceweasel 2.0.0.6 in Etch for me.

Last edited by hitest; 08-21-2007 at 08:37 PM.
 
Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
craigevil
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 4,733
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457
A simple apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Will install it in the proper place.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070723 Iceweasel/2.0.0.6 (Debian-2.0.0.6-1)

Shockwave Flash
File name: /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r48
 
Old 08-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,081
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
I find with Iceweasel that when I first go to a flash-enabled site Iceweasel prompts me that a plug-in is needed. Click next and it finds the adobe plug-in and downloads, installs it. No problems with flash in Iceweasel 2.0.0.6 in Etch for me.
Same here. It puts in /home/brian/.mozilla/plugins.
 
Old 08-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,242

Rep: Reputation: 573Reputation: 573Reputation: 573Reputation: 573Reputation: 573Reputation: 573
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigevil View Post
A simple apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Will install it in the proper place.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070723 Iceweasel/2.0.0.6 (Debian-2.0.0.6-1)

Shockwave Flash
File name: /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r48
Good tip, craigevil:-) Thanks, man!
 
Old 08-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
GTrax
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 206

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 32
Thanks so much for all the tips.
I just have to say "see - you all have working Iceweasel setups, but they are not all the same setup, and the plugin does not always live in the same path/folder".

Following craigevil's (great) tip, I looked for /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/. Yes, it is there already, but completely empty. Right next to it is a folder "flashplugin-nonfree-unpackdir" which contains yet another copy of"install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz". This is, I think, what happens when, having failed with one approach, we try another sans any attempt at cleanup. So we have ...

1. Use the Synaptic package manager.
2. Use a command line method like "apt-get install" or "aptitude" or dpkg. All these are not guarateed to produce identical setups, but any might well work by itself.
3. Download the plugin, unpack to /root and run the script file. This is what you end up doing if you follow the route mentioned by hitest and BrianL
Quote:
I find with Iceweasel that when I first go to a flash-enabled site Iceweasel prompts me that a plug-in is needed. Click next and it finds the adobe plug-in and downloads, installs it. No problems with flash in Iceweasel 2.0.0.6 in Etch for me.
OK - I did exactly that with the test animation at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ and what I get is two possible actions. First is a yellow bar at the top informing me "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page". and a "Install missing plugins" button. Unfortunately, the result is a "Plugin Finder Service" box informing me that no suitable plugins were found. Yet another button from "Unknown Plugin (application/x-director) called "Manual Install" actually ends up inviting me to install Netscape 6.0!!! More useful is a link to the Mozilla install page http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
... where we find the .tar.gz install package.

craigevil's method will be the next to be tried, and maybe some attempt to remove the plethora of generated files and links, some of which (bizarre!!) seem to be trying to point at each other, each assuming the other is the real file :| Thanks folks, I will post what happens.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iceweasel quickie, hopefully. Mr Marmmalade Debian 10 05-03-2007 05:02 PM
help with java in iceweasel kennybob Linux - Software 2 04-20-2007 11:09 PM
Wine configuration confusions majordmbss Linux - Newbie 3 04-02-2005 09:12 AM
dhcpd confusions kidicarus Linux - Networking 6 11-04-2004 05:19 PM
kernel confusions? fool_inteligent Slackware 3 08-29-2002 04:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration