OK, I got it fixed. I don't know what I actually changed from XF86Config file (I played with the settings a lot so i dont know which one actually helped
), but now it works. I have Radeon 7500, so I had updated xfree86 to 4.3.0 (testing) because 4.1.0 doesn't support it. I guess Xserver tried to load some wrong driver somewhere (config file was produced by xf86config).
And apparently console has been "on" all the time because when my monitor went blank I could still give commands and my HD led went nuts. My Radeon just wouldn't for some reason output any signal after I had switched from X to text-mode.
Well, now it works anyway...
Thanks for the help