I'm really considering leaving evolution, since I don't use any of the exchange-features, but at the moment I don't have the time to do so for all the worksttions here, so...
Anyhoo: yesterday I upgraded the systems and evolution couldn't connect to SSL-servers, which is a known bug
. Upgrading to e-d-s from unstable solved this issue.
Now new problem occurs: I cannot open attachments directly in evolution. I can save them to my hard drive and then open them, so it's no dealbreaker, but I'm kinda getting fed up with this.
# dpkg -l evo*
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
ii evolution 2.12.3-1 groupware suite with mail client and organizer
ii evolution-common 2.12.3-1 architecture independent files for Evolution
ii evolution-data-server 1.12.3-1 evolution database backend server
ii evolution-data-server-common 1.12.3-1 architecture independent files for Evolution Data Server
un evolution-data-server-dbg <none> (no description available)
un evolution-data-server1.2 <none> (no description available)
un evolution-dbg <none> (no description available)
un evolution-exchange <none> (no description available)
ii evolution-plugins 2.12.3-1 standard plugins for Evolution
un evolution-plugins-experimental <none> (no description available)
ii evolution-webcal 2.12.0-1 webcal: URL handler for GNOME and Evolution
Starting evolution in a terminal outputs the following:
evolution-shell-Message: Killing old version of evolution-data-server...
** (evolution:17585): DEBUG: mailto URL command: evolution %s
** (evolution:17585): DEBUG: mailto URL program: evolution
libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
(org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
If I remember correctly, the dbus-error has been there for a while - I don't know how to solve this but I don't know if it is problematic to leave it.
The other entry (in emp_apps_open_in) occurs together with my doubleclick on the attachments name and consecutively evolution stalls. killall evolu* is needed in order to be able to restart evolution...
/EDIT: I did some more testing:
- disabling plugins didn't solve the problem
- upon double-clicking the attachment, I see in the bottom-left corner the message "saving attachment(...)", so it might be related to saving the message to a temporary folder to open it.
- Last time I double-clicked a PDF-attachement, I got an extra line of output before evolution crashed:
(evolution:20535): libebook-WARNING **: EBookView: Exception while releasing BookView