LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
shivaa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Grenoble, Fr.
Distribution: Sun Solaris, RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian 6.0
Posts: 1,797
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 285Reputation: 285Reputation: 285
Debian squeeze installation: Mount cdrom failed error


Hello,

I have been using debian squeeze for past few months on a VM, and it was working awesome! So after getting completely satisfied, I today decided to use it as single OS on my PC.

I downloaded it's .iso and created a bootable USB stick using unetbootin utility.

Now when installation begins, it's asked me to mount cdrom (either detect automatically or manually) for additional software, which I don't have. And however installation fails!

I read few threads over Internet, but couldn't get any idea how to solve it.

Could anyone help?

TIA.
 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
odiseo77
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Debian Sid, OpenSUSE 13.1
Posts: 969

Rep: Reputation: 294Reputation: 294Reputation: 294
I've had this issue before and IIRC, it was a problem with unetbootin. What I usually do and never fails me is to copy the iso image to the USB stick using dd, like this:

Code:
dd if=/path/to/iso/image of=/dev/sdX
Substitute /dev/sdX with your real USB device. Note that you don't have to use a USB stick partition but the device itself. Also note that everything you have in the USB stick will be destroyed when you use dd to transfer the iso image.

Another option in case you don't mind tinkering with files to prepair your USB stick is this.

Regards and good luck.
 
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
shivaa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Grenoble, Fr.
Distribution: Sun Solaris, RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian 6.0
Posts: 1,797
Blog Entries: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 285Reputation: 285Reputation: 285
Thanks!

But problem is that I am using unetbootin in Windows 7.
Second, I even tried other methods, like directly copied .iso in USB or extracted .iso into USB.. but same problem again and again.

Do you know any best application for Windows to burn an .iso to USB and to make it a bootable device?
Although little googling returns a lot of results, but most of them are just useless.

----ADD------
I am surprized, same .iso can successfully boot when using it to install debian on VM. But it don't work in USB. Perhaps problem is with unetbootin..

Last edited by shivaa; 01-31-2013 at 11:54 PM.
 
Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Georgia boy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Distribution: Debian Wheezy with XFCE, Jessie with XFCEon desktop, Wheezy with XFCE on laptop
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Here are a couple more USB creators that you might try out since Unebootin seems to be giving you an issue. I won't swear that they are what you're looking for but might be of some use. It's been awhile since I've created one and I can't remember off top of head which one I had used. Wasn't Unebootin though.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/liveusb...e-usb-creator/

Think it might had been the first link but as I said it was a long time ago I had created them.
 
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
shivaa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Grenoble, Fr.
Distribution: Sun Solaris, RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian 6.0
Posts: 1,797
Blog Entries: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 285Reputation: 285Reputation: 285
Thanks @Georgia boy.

Well, I managed to install it using a CD-ROM. But one another problem occured that laptop touchpad is not working. I have to do everything using keyboard (arrow keys, tab, space, enter etc.)

Fyi, I have installed CD-1 image only, which has less resources. So I doubt touchpad driver is missing...

Any sugguestion or help please.. I don't want Windows back in my life!

Last edited by shivaa; 02-02-2013 at 08:15 AM.
 
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Georgia boy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Distribution: Debian Wheezy with XFCE, Jessie with XFCEon desktop, Wheezy with XFCE on laptop
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I ran across this link while trying to search about Debian and touchpad issues. It might be of some use to you. Take a look see and I'll also try to keep looking for some suggestions for you. GB

http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Georgia boy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Distribution: Debian Wheezy with XFCE, Jessie with XFCEon desktop, Wheezy with XFCE on laptop
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Finding some more. Here's one from the Debian Forum:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=40159

Some of the other links I'm finding so far are referring to the Wiki link I just posted but will keep on looking for you. Hopefully someone who has had this will pop in with the fix before having to read all of that.

GB
 
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
widget
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: S.E. Montana
Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE
Posts: 2,203

Rep: Reputation: 368Reputation: 368Reputation: 368Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaa View Post
Hello,

I have been using debian squeeze for past few months on a VM, and it was working awesome! So after getting completely satisfied, I today decided to use it as single OS on my PC.

I downloaded it's .iso and created a bootable USB stick using unetbootin utility.

Now when installation begins, it's asked me to mount cdrom (either detect automatically or manually) for additional software, which I don't have. And however installation fails!

I read few threads over Internet, but couldn't get any idea how to solve it.

Could anyone help?

TIA.
Can't help as I don't use a laptop and hate touch pads so know nothing about fixing them (if I use a laptop I never have trouble with the touch pad - I plug in a mouse).

What I can do is warn you about making anykind of decision based on a VB or VM experience.

When you are running an OS in a vertual environment it is not interacting, in any way, with your hardware. It is interacting with the vertual environment software. That software is designed to work through the host OS to interact with the hardware. So if your host OS works fine with your hardware anything that will come up in a virtual environment will work. This does not mean that it will work seamlessly when working in contact with your real hardware.

Before trying to install something as your only OS you should do a dual boot to smooth out the rough spots.

Using the dd command to copy the ISO to a stick is pretty easy to do on any computer running any OS. Simply boot to a Live Session on any Live CD from any Linux distro.

Read the documentation for the distro you are interested in. A very casual look at Debian documentation will show that dd is the recommended way to put the ISO on a stick.

While it may seem, to a MS user, that 3rd parties know much more about an OS than the people that put it out this is not true of Debian or any of the long standing Linux OS,s. Using the recommended ways of doing things really is the best policy when using Linux.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
shivaa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Grenoble, Fr.
Distribution: Sun Solaris, RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian 6.0
Posts: 1,797
Blog Entries: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 285Reputation: 285Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
What I can do is warn you about making anykind of decision based on a VB or VM experience.

When you are running an OS in a vertual environment it is not interacting, in any way, with your hardware. It is interacting with the vertual environment software. That software is designed to work through the host OS to interact with the hardware. So if your host OS works fine with your hardware anything that will come up in a virtual environment will work. This does not mean that it will work seamlessly when working in contact with your real hardware.
I respect your opinion, but may I ask why?
My laptop has following config:
RAM: 4 GB
H/D: 750 GB
Processor: Intel Core i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
Before trying to install something as your only OS you should do a dual boot to smooth out the rough spots.
I do not want windows anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
Using the dd command to copy the ISO to a stick is pretty easy to do on any computer running any OS. Simply boot to a Live Session on any Live CD from any Linux distro.

Read the documentation for the distro you are interested in. A very casual look at Debian documentation will show that dd is the recommended way to put the ISO on a stick.
As I already mentioned above, I had to create a bootable USB on windows, not in Unix, so dd won't help.
 
Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
odiseo77
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Debian Sid, OpenSUSE 13.1
Posts: 969

Rep: Reputation: 294Reputation: 294Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaa View Post
I respect your opinion, but may I ask why?
My laptop has following config:
RAM: 4 GB
H/D: 750 GB
Processor: Intel Core i5
I think that what widget was referring to was the fact that an OS in a VM doesn't interact directly with the hardware, but communicates with it through the host OS, so you might find some things don't work as expected out of the box when you perform a real install to the HDD. However, this doesn't mean that these problems cannot be sorted out.

Have you tried the Debian Wiki link posted above? And could you post the output of the following command?:

Code:
lspci -k
It should tell us your touchpad's model and help us to know if it requires some driver or special tweaking to work. It would also be helpful to know what is your laptop's brand and model .

Regards.
 
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
widget
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: S.E. Montana
Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE
Posts: 2,203

Rep: Reputation: 368Reputation: 368Reputation: 368Reputation: 368
I see you have had an answer on the virtual environment question. I will add that the reason that most development takes place in VM or VB is for that very reason. The software can be developed to work as intended with out any worry about hardware. If there are hardware problems with it that can be patched later.

Testing has to be done on real hardware.

As for dd you will have no trouble getting a live CD or DVD, there is even one available for Debian. Any Linux Live CD will be able to run the dd command to copy the ISO to a stick. It is that simple. The only reason not to have a Live CD around is if you have no drive on which to burn one. They come in handy.

Do you have the package "firmware-linux-nonfree" installed? This causes many problems and is one that could possibly have been masked by a vertual environment. Could also be a damned silly question as I really know nothing about touchpads and would like to know less.
 
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
shivaa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Grenoble, Fr.
Distribution: Sun Solaris, RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian 6.0
Posts: 1,797
Blog Entries: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 285Reputation: 285Reputation: 285
Quote:
I think that what widget was referring to was the fact that an OS in a VM doesn't interact directly with the hardware, but communicates with it through the host OS, so you might find some things don't work as expected out of the box when you perform a real install to the HDD. However, this doesn't mean that these problems cannot be sorted out.
@odiseo77:
Agree with you. I am trying to find out difference between installation on a VM and live. I am trying to figure out how/what a VM hides from OS.
However, I will try your tricks.

@widget:
Thanks. I am going with a live CD this time.

Last edited by shivaa; 02-03-2013 at 08:16 PM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
debian, installation, squeeze, usb


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] OpenCV 2.4.2 installation failed on Debian Squeeze Edenkips Linux - Software 4 08-20-2012 11:53 AM
No space left (after failed dpkg installation) - Debian Squeeze hedgeaus Linux - Newbie 2 07-21-2012 11:53 AM
[SOLVED] installation of debian squeeze and sid resulting in grfic error gbo Linux - Hardware 5 08-28-2011 03:30 AM
red5 streaming server installation on debian squeeze failed. tkmsr Linux - Software 0 04-28-2010 06:26 AM
cdrom-detect in Debian Squeeze godzillarama Debian 4 02-21-2010 06:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration