debian gnome on mepis simply
have installed mepis simply version-2004.6 i believe it is. okay , this installed without gnome. so i did this-
1. open terminal and loged on as root-----su-, root password
2. okay, did this- apt-get update
3. now i did this -apt-get install gnome
4. download and installed over 400mg of data
okay. rebooted and bingo -gnome in session list- i click on gnome and bingo - i have debian gnome on mepis- the problem, -- when gnome opens - i get this error and must x it out to get it off screen-
rror activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.
X server version data:
The XFree86 Project, Inc
You are using XFree 4.3.0.
There are known problems with complex XKB configurations.
Try using simpler configuration or taking more fresh version of XFree software.
If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN GET THIS ERROR MESSAGE FROM SHOWING UP EACH TIME I GO INTO GNOME- EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING OKAY-TRYED THE TOTEM MOVIE PLAYER - IT WORKS GREAT RUNNING ONE OF MY DVDS.
any help appreciated -ron