I recently installed my first debian, sarge. And I had to fight every step of the way, since I was used to suse and mandrake. Well my system is up and running but these are some of the problems that are irking me the most.
1. Xterm does not display colours. So all the display is in black and white while I was used to the colorful displays in Mandrake. Even vim does not show any colours while opening files. I've tried tweaking .Xresources, .Xdefaults,app-defaults/XTerm and app-defaults/XTerm-color files but nothing helps. Can somebody tell me the exact solution?
2. Non-root user cannot access the soundcard correctly. While running xmms as root I can get the sound, but when non-privileged used tries running xmms I get an error saying that "sound card is either blocked or not configured properly". What is the reason?
3. Non-root user cannot write to a mounted FAT drive. Here is the fstab snippet:
/dev/hda7 /mnt/win_d vfat defaults,user 0 0
/dev/hdb8 /mnt/win_z vfat defaults,user 0 0
4. I have some ISO images residing on FAT drive which I want to mount automatically at boot time. Ofcourse I can mount them manually later but I want them mounted at the boot time. The following code from /etc/fstab does not work:
/mnt/win_z/gsck/gsdke.iso /mnt/gda1 iso9660 defaults,user 0 0
5. And finally can somebody tell me how to install "xview" on debian? Apt-get cannot find any package with the name "xview".
Thnx for any help