DebianThis forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am putting Debian on an older (K7 700mhz) machine to use with MythTV, but am having some fundamental Debian problems. I am trying to upgrade debian to unstable, and replaced all instances of 'stable' in sources.conf with 'unstable', except for security.debian.org, which I commented out (it is my understanding that there is no such source for unstable). Now when I try to run any apt-get operation, it fails. Apt-get update connects and updates all the package lists, but then spits out:
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
E: Error occured while processing libuuid1 (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened
/var/lib/dpkg/status does exist, but appears corrupted. the Depends line of libuuid1 appears as follows:
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.^B~V^C@^R~V^C... etc ... just a bunch of corrupt garbage until ... v^U@sing a standard with is blessed by both Microsoft and DCE, ...
and the file seems uncorrupted from there on. In the same directory, I found status-old, which I used to replace the current status (backing up the original, of course). Apt-get update seemed to complete just fine, and I ran dist-upgrade. In the middle of the upgrade, I got a kernel panic and had to shut down the machine. Now whenever I run apt-get dist-upgrade, it does its thing for a while, then outputs many lines of hex numbers in brackets along with errors such as the following:
and finally ending with:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg received a sementation fault.
I think it was a kernel panic that caused this whole corruption issue to start with (hard to remember, I got frustrated and gave up the battle for about a week). Any advice on how to fix apt-get or the kernel? I'll post the kernel panic info if it happens again, and in the meantime see if I can't sort out the kernel problem. Thanks!
I tried to recompile the kernel (2.6.6 from kernel.org) to leave out some of the more iffy componenets and hopefully resolve this instability. After updating the config, I tried to compile the kernel. It seems to get most of the way through, but segfaults near the end. I tried with both gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.3 with similar results. I even rebooted to the kernel installed by the debian CD with no luck. I am, of course, running make clean each time. The error is not always the same but seems to occur in about the same place. The most recent one is:
I thought installing Debian on this machine would be really easy as it has been in the past with other machines, but it has been uphill all the way with this junker. Any help would be appeciated. Thanks!
I don't know if you've resolved this or not, but I just had the same sort of problem, but mine was with portmap's Depends list. The original Depends: line was:
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1)4), libwrap0
So I looked for another package with a similar Depends list, and found that it should read:
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libwrap0
All I did was change that single parenthesis to a hyphen, and lo and behold, apt-get worked again! I'm wondering if this is some sort of typo from the package maintainer, but as long as it's as easy to fix as this, I guess I can't complain too much.
Obviously this probably won't help your kernel panic, but if you're still having problem with this part, that should help.
Thanks for your reply; I should have finished this post when I resolved it. My problem turned out to be bad RAM. I ran memtest on it, and it showed up right away. I removed that stick of RAM and everything went back to normal. I'm glad you got your problem solved as well. Thanks again!