Like most people here, I prefer free software. But the move to Linux was not easy. At that time there was no free solutions for the storage of user passwords on the server, as well as centralized storage configuration of a desktop. Bind the user to the workplace, we could not, because one user can work for different PCs. We started developing. Trying to подружить different services with LDAP. For this task we can handle and offer Calculate Directory Server. The server easily and quickly set to work with LDAP is not more difficult than with accounts UNIX. Syntax is similar. While you're at a command prompt manage samba, ftp, jabber, mail accounts. In the near future will support Proxy.
At the time we first saw the Gentoo Linux. It is hard to convey those feelings that made the first system. Perhaps the feeling of complete control over the system. At first I had to develop over the utility, through which the Gentoo would be maintained up to date. It would have deleted unwanted software, update settings, etc. Not to say that this is a simple task! As a result, has been chosen path, when the system is a fully updated to the latest version. Releases Calculate Linux Desktop is issued once a month. This is enough to not think about security problems, and always with a fresh version of the program.
Certainly there, and opponents of this method, which say that a good system is one that has forgotten and. But believe me, none of the employees do not even remember when he last made an update. Although it is possible to recall the end of last year, when KDE3 has changed in KDE4. Linux Desktops update themselves by downloading the update from the server. I do not remember when during the upgrade occurred some problems. The last solution to the problem is support for ATI
Currently the project employs a few people it department of our company.
So what we got in the end?
- A staff member may leave the office, located in the city and elsewhere to gain access to your desktop.
- Letters inside the intranet transferred between mail servers directly, without the server, the domain at all, one
- Reinstall linux on the desktop takes 5-7 minutes. This process is fully automated.
- Desk staff is fully configurable programmatically. it is possible to change the settings in the enterprise.
- Reinstall the server (if necessary) is also not an issue, because Utilities Calculate2 full process (conservation and recovery of data LDAP, configuration service) assume.
This is probably the main points.
All our solutions are open under the GPL3 and Apache 2, use the!