LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Blogs > TheIndependentAquarius
User Name
Password

Notices

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Brinjal AKA Baingan (in Hindi) - Kashmiri style Recipe

Posted 07-12-2011 at 11:36 PM by TheIndependentAquarius
Updated 07-04-2014 at 01:32 AM by TheIndependentAquarius

Notice: Spoon measurement : 6mlIngredients:
  • 1/2 spoon Cumin seeds (Aka Zeera in Hindi)
  • 1/2 spoon Red Chili powder (Aka Lal Mirch in Hindi)
  • 3/4 spoon Ginger powder (Aka Adrak in Hindi)
  • 1/2 spoon Fennel powder (Aka Saunf in Hindi)
  • 1/4 spoon Turmeric powder (Aka Haldi in Hindi)
  • 1/2 spoon Salt
  • 4 slim and long Brinjals
  • Oil for frying Brinjals and Red Chili powder.

Directions:
  • The Brinjals should be cut into thin long slices.
  • Deep fry those pieces till they get brown. (You don't have to burn them)
  • In a pressure cooker, heat 2 table spoons of oil and put in cumin seeds.
  • After they turn golden put in Red Chili powder and let it fry for a few seconds.
  • Add the remaining powders, the Brinjals and 2-3 cups water to the same and pressure cook the mixture till the Brinjals get tender. Gravy should be kept minimum possible.
  • Serve hot with boiled rice.

Serves 2.

P.S.
No, I haven't forgotten Onions, Tomatoes, Garlic etc. This Kashmiri style recipe doesn't require them, in fact, adding them will spoil the authentic taste of this Kashmiri style recipe.
Posted in Recipes
Views 41234 Comments 16
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 16

Comments

  1. Old Comment
    Sounds pretty tasty!
    Posted 11-02-2011 at 09:32 PM by SrDorothy SrDorothy is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Do try it if you have some time. I'll be ready for bricks and bats. ;-D
    Posted 11-02-2011 at 11:02 PM by TheIndependentAquarius TheIndependentAquarius is offline
  3. Old Comment
    I looked up brinjal and learned it is what we call "eggplant" or "aubergine."

    I have a question.

    What do you mean by "small"? A small regular eggplant, which is still quite large to my mind, or the kind that my friend tells me are like fingerlings in comparison to the regular ones.
    Posted 02-01-2012 at 09:29 PM by frankbell frankbell is offline
  4. Old Comment
    Posted 02-06-2012 at 05:28 AM by TheIndependentAquarius TheIndependentAquarius is offline
  5. Old Comment
    Edited - Chilli has to be 1/2 table spoon, not 1/4.
    Posted 05-03-2012 at 10:36 PM by TheIndependentAquarius TheIndependentAquarius is offline
  6. Old Comment
    Good. However I don't think we normally serve this recipe with 'boiled rice', wheat chapatis(breads) would go with this lesser gravy dish.
    Oh BTW, I'm a Kashmiri(roots there) and I didn't know they don't use onions/garlic there!
    Posted 05-06-2012 at 08:21 PM by PrinceCruise PrinceCruise is offline
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PrinceCruise View Comment
    However I don't think we normally serve this recipe with 'boiled rice', wheat chapatis(breads) would go with this lesser gravy dish.
    For me, any sorts of breads is simply unthinkable
    with Brinjals. We eat this with rice. Because the
    curry is thickened and spicy, we actually don't
    need lots of it.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PrinceCruise View Comment
    Oh BTW, I'm a Kashmiri(roots there) and I didn't know they don't use onions/garlic there!
    Sharmas aren't Kashmiris by birth. Kashmiris have
    some peculiar surnames, and Sharma isn't one of them,
    I know this since I am a Kashmiri pandit.
    Posted 05-06-2012 at 10:46 PM by TheIndependentAquarius TheIndependentAquarius is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Comment
    For me, any sorts of breads is simply unthinkable
    with Brinjals. We eat this with rice. Because the
    curry is thickened and spicy, we actually don't
    need lots of it.
    I think exact opposite, thick spicy gravy with bread. Seems more of preferences, you know.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Comment
    Sharmas aren't Kashmiris by birth. Kashmiris have
    some peculiar surnames, and Sharma isn't one of them,

    I know this since I am a Kashmiri pandit.
    I'm a Kashmiri Pandit too. And yes, I already know that by seeing your surname, Kaul.
    However I don't understand your first statement about Sharma's in general.
    Sharma is a generic surname for Brahmins in northern part of India, that has nothing to do with the origin.
    I see a lot of Kashmiri Brahmins using Sharma as a generic surname in J&K either, despite of their gotras. I won't go in history. That's simply too complicated.
    Posted 05-08-2012 at 04:11 AM by PrinceCruise PrinceCruise is offline
    Updated 05-08-2012 at 04:14 AM by PrinceCruise
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PrinceCruise View Comment
    Sharma is a generic surname for Brahmins in northern part of India, that has nothing to do with the origin. I see a lot of Kashmiri Brahmins using Sharma as a generic surname in J&K either, despite of their gotras.
    Sharmas are NOT Kashmiri Pandits.
    Sharmas though are Brahmins, but original Kashmiri
    Pandits do NOT have Sharma as their surname.

    It is possible that some lady married a Sharma man
    and became a Sharma. It is also possible that someone
    titled Sharma shifted to Kashmir, and lived there.
    It is also possible that someone were ashamed of
    their surname and therefore shifted to Sharma.
    Posted 05-08-2012 at 04:44 AM by TheIndependentAquarius TheIndependentAquarius is offline
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Comment
    Sharmas are NOT Kashmiri Pandits.
    Sharmas though are Brahmins, but original Kashmiri
    Pandits do NOT have Sharma as their surname.
    I still fail to get your point over a non-existent claim.
    Where did I or somebody said that ALL SHARMA's are Kashmiri pandits?
    I said that for myself, and gave you one example of Kashmiri Pandit using surname as Sharma. Can't and won't say for others.

    Anyways, back on the topic, the Brinjal was tasty anyways, but with the bread.

    EDIT : And going by the other depressing blog entries you made - you imagine too much, no offense.
    Posted 05-08-2012 at 05:41 AM by PrinceCruise PrinceCruise is offline
    Updated 05-08-2012 at 05:43 AM by PrinceCruise
  11. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PrinceCruise View Comment
    Where did I or somebody said that ALL SHARMA's are Kashmiri pandits?
    Where exactly do you find me saying that "you" said "ALL SHARMA's are Kashmiri pandits?"?
    Sharma surname does not belong to Kashmiri "pandits".
    If I change my name to "Anisha Khan", will that prove
    that Hindus have surnames like Khan?

    It is a possibility that that person is using the sharma
    surname for some reason.
    P.S.
    Just living in Kashmir doesn't make anyone a Kashmiri
    Pandit BTW.
    Posted 05-08-2012 at 05:47 AM by TheIndependentAquarius TheIndependentAquarius is offline
    Updated 05-08-2012 at 05:59 AM by TheIndependentAquarius
  12. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PrinceCruise View Comment
    EDIT : And going by the other depressing blog entries you made...
    Stop reading my blogs then.
    Posted 05-08-2012 at 05:50 AM by TheIndependentAquarius TheIndependentAquarius is offline
    Updated 05-08-2012 at 06:19 AM by TheIndependentAquarius
  13. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Comment
    Where exactly do you find me saying that "you" said "ALL SHARMA's are Kashmiri pandits?"?
    Sharma surname does not belong to Kashmiri "pandits".
    If I change my name to "Anisha Khan", will that prove
    that Hindus have surnames like Khan?

    It is a possibility that that person is using the sharma
    surname for some reason.
    P.S.
    Just living in Kashmir doesn't make anyone a Kashmiri
    Pandit BTW.
    Totally irrelevant post, still. This ain't going anywhere with you, so I quit. My bad.
    Posted 05-08-2012 at 06:42 AM by PrinceCruise PrinceCruise is offline
  14. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Comment
    Stop reading my blogs then.
    Not a good attitude. You just lost a genuine fellow reader.

    Regards.
    Posted 05-08-2012 at 06:44 AM by PrinceCruise PrinceCruise is offline
  15. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PrinceCruise View Comment
    Not a good attitude.
    Next time think twice before writing generic statements like "other depressing blog entries you made". You never know why did the other person write them, what's going in the other people's mind, what did he expect from his friends etc.

    anyways, it is enough now.
    Posted 05-08-2012 at 06:49 AM by TheIndependentAquarius TheIndependentAquarius is offline
    Updated 05-08-2012 at 07:11 AM by TheIndependentAquarius
  16. Old Comment
    Edited spoon measurement.
    Posted 07-04-2014 at 01:32 AM by TheIndependentAquarius TheIndependentAquarius is offline
 

  



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement

My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration