LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Arch (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/arch-29/)
-   -   pacman -S command error (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/arch-29/pacman-s-command-error-4175447361/)

Completely Clueless 01-26-2013 03:03 PM

pacman -S command error
 
Hi all,

Never ever used Arch before, but have got myself a Raspberry Pi and needed a cut down OS to run on it. I've been installing packages on it without difficulty until I get to this part where I'm trying to install a library:

Code:

pacman -S libi2c-dev
which for some reason generates a 'target not found' error.
I've tried
Code:

pacman -Syyu
to no avail. Any idea where I'm going wrong here?

CC.

Snark1994 01-26-2013 03:50 PM

Yes - as it tells you, the package doesn't exist. (why did you think it did?)

Code:

$ pacman -Ss i2c
community/i2c-tools 3.1.0-3
    Heterogeneous set of I2C tools for Linux that used to be part of lm-sensors

It could be in the package above, or you might have misspelt the name (or the package has been removed).

Completely Clueless 01-26-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snark1994 (Post 4878175)
Yes - as it tells you, the package doesn't exist. (why did you think it did?

Thank you, Snark.
This page: https://projects.drogon.net/raspberr...i/i2c-library/ is supposed to be current and that's why I assumed the package to be available. Being totally unfamiliar with pacman, I thought perhaps I might have expected it to do something with libraries that it did not in fact do. Sorry for the crap explanation, but you get my drift (hopefully!)

Snark1994 01-27-2013 06:43 AM

Ah, I see - they are using the Ubuntu repositories (they use the command 'apt-get'). In general, it's the distro's job to name and add packages - so the same package might have different names using different package managers (apt-get, yum, pacman, etc.) or even not exist at all!

I would try installing i2c-tools, and see if that works the same as in Ubuntu. If not, then you may just have to switch to Ubuntu, or find the source code for whatever library Ubuntu have packaged.

Regards,

Completely Clueless 01-27-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snark1994 (Post 4878401)
Ah, I see - they are using the Ubuntu repositories (they use the command 'apt-get'). In general, it's the distro's job to name and add packages - so the same package might have different names using different package managers (apt-get, yum, pacman, etc.) or even not exist at all!

I would try installing i2c-tools, and see if that works the same as in Ubuntu. If not, then you may just have to switch to Ubuntu, or find the source code for whatever library Ubuntu have packaged.

Regards,

Oh. I was under the impression that one merely substituted the name of the appropriate packet manager and its associated options when installing software on a different distro. What a blasted nuisance!

Snark1994 01-28-2013 03:21 AM

Sorry, sadly not. However, you've made a good choice with Arch - I've never before found a package that I wanted that wasn't in either the main repositories or the AUR, and the software they have is much more up-to-date than in Ubuntu (and, dare I say it, stable, despite Arch being a rolling release).

Having said that, look here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...29953&p=262230
It gives you instructions on how to get the git version of the package i2c-tools, which does contain the header you're looking for. However, the package itself has been updated since the discussion in which they said it was out of date, so I would seriously recommend trying to install i2c-tools first and seeing if that solves your problem.

Completely Clueless 01-28-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snark1994 (Post 4878852)
....I would seriously recommend trying to install i2c-tools first and seeing if that solves your problem.

Yes, it has, thanks. All sorted.
Now I just need to find out which revision this Pi board is....

jv2112 01-28-2013 07:00 PM

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta

This page may help in you use of Arch.

Snark1994 01-29-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Completely Clueless (Post 4879380)
Yes, it has, thanks. All sorted.
Now I just need to find out which revision this Pi board is....

Glad to hear it - could you mark the thread as 'SOLVED' please?

Regarding the revision, http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...p?f=31&t=20594 seems to be of help.

Regards,


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.