Originally Posted by JunctaJuvant
It would help to know the exact error you get.
I used Desktop--> Preferences--> Keyboard--> Layouts and that worked for me. You can use the KEYMAP field in rc.conf, but I don't use it so I'm guessing you shouldn't need to change that either. There is also an option in Xorg: XkbLayout, maybe you need to change that.
Here is the message I get when trying to add keyboard layout in Gnome
Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation
X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd