If anyone else ever has this problem, I got it fixed. The downside about me getting it fixed is that i'm not quite sure what I did to fix it. I can send you in the general direction though:
I installed yaourt (the Arch AUR package installer) so that I didn't have to manually install packages. I didn't plan on it, but I decided to see if packettracer was in the AUR and it was. I ran yaourt packettracer and, although it didn't install (had errors), my existing installation that was crashing stopped crashing after I did this.
So the packettracer installation attempt from the AUR, although it didn't install, it fixed whatever the problem was. I'm almost positive it had something to do with one of the libraries (libQt*).
If you use arch and want yaourt, add this to /etc/pacman.conf:
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch
Then update databases:
then install yaourt:
then to install a package from the AUR, do this (never run yaourt as root):