Here is my selfmade
1) 4M 16.0 installed on laptop
2) want to update to 18.0
3) Start the "wipe disk" tool from startmenu
4) See that estimated time is 2+ hours. Cancel after 1%
5) Now 16.0 install does not boot anymore (what surprise. but does not matter)
6) The 18.0 installer from CD seems to work at first but then has some errors.
The installs of some addons end with "Killed"
Eventually the login-prompt appears but after typing "root" there is a console-prompt that does...nothing.
One can just type and press return, but nothing happens? It also behaves strange in that the console randomly scrolls on its own, as if the return-key was stuck.
Using the wipe-thing was probally stupid/unnessecary but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Usually I would try to format HD now with win-CD or so, but maybe is another way?