LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > 2011 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards
User Name
Password
2011 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards This forum is for the 2011 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards.
You can now vote for your favorite products of 2011. This is your chance to be heard! Voting ends on February 9th.


Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
camuflage
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Portugal
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: 0

In my opinion there's a lot of options missing, in some of the foruns i've added the options missing. The option "other" is missing in every poll.
Where are the email clients poll? In case of becomming available here's a list:

Alpine
Balsa
Citadel
Claws Mail
Cone
Elm
Gnus
GroupWise
i.Scribe / InScribe
IBM Lotus Notes
KMail
Mozilla Thunderbird
Mutt
nmh / MH
Novell Evolution
Opera Mail
SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups
Sylpheed
Spicebird
SquirrelMail
Zimbra

In case of also adding a poll for antivirus, here's a list:

SmartCOP
Avast!
AVG
Avira
Bitdefender
CA
Celframe
Clam
Dr. Web
eScan
ESET
F-Prot
F-Secure
Kaspersky
McAfee
Norman
Panda
Sophos
Quick Heal
Symantec
Vba32
VirusBuster
 
Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,625

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657
Other is explicitly missing to encourage members to post a comment if they'd like a project added. Keep in mind it's not the goal to list every single conceivable option in each poll but to have a manageable list of popular actively maintained projects (in fact, we actively remove options that get 0 votes for multiple years).

--jeremy
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
camuflage
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Portugal
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: 0
All the options added are in active.
 
Old 01-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
Mr. Bill
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland, USA
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04 - 64
Posts: 182

Rep: Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by camuflage View Post
All the options added are in active.
Not everything on your list is open source. The polls are for actively maintained open source projects that are used or supported by LQ members. If there is something missing that you use, Jeremy will gladly add it if it's appropriate.
 
Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,625

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657
To clarify, being Open Source is only a requirement if "Open Source" is in the category title.

--jeremy
 
Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #21
Murdock1979
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Distribution: Slackware Debian VectorLinux
Posts: 429
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 30
Would it be worthwhile listing the projects alphabetically, in order not to give a possible impression that there is certain preference towards one project over another?
 
Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #22
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,625

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock1979 View Post
Would it be worthwhile listing the projects alphabetically, in order not to give a possible impression that there is certain preference towards one project over another?
We'll keep this in mind as an enhancement next year, but I'd be interested in what other members think.

--jeremy
 
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #23
noah_vale
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Carshalton, Surrey, UK.
Distribution: Pinguy OS 11.04 x86_64
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank you for a very interesting poll Jeremy. This kept me occupied for a good couple of hours and got me thinking about my current set up and the tools that I use or maybe should be using.
 
Old 01-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
z00dax
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Where might one be able to see the nominations without first having to sign up and give up personal info ( email atleast ) ?

Also, what was the process used for coming up with the nominations and is the process audited by a third party in some way ?
 
Old 01-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,625

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00dax View Post
Where might one be able to see the nominations without first having to sign up and give up personal info ( email atleast ) ?
You needed an account to post this, so should be able to see all nominees and vote in all polls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00dax View Post
Also, what was the process used for coming up with the nominations and is the process audited by a third party in some way ?
The process is outlined elsewhere, but there are no third party auditors involved.

--jeremy
 
Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #26
z00dax
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
You needed an account to post this, so should be able to see all nominees and vote in all polls.
No, I cant see the details. But the aim of asking the question was more along the lines of working out exactly what the poll is for. Is it a case of 'software used by the regular users of linux questions, who have posted more than a certain number of times and come back to the site even when they dont themselves have issues' or is it a poll for 'software that people on linux use'. Both of these demographics represent very different mindsets, and the poll will have different implications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
The process is outlined elsewhere, but there are no third party auditors involved.
Could you point me as to where this info is published ? the search options seem to have come up a bit blank. And the actual 'welcome to the polls' does not seem to have this info either.

- KB
 
Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #27
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,625

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00dax View Post
No, I cant see the details.
What details, exactly, can you not see? You're saying that while you are logged into this account going to a poll does not result is you seeing all nominees and also being able to vote in all polls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00dax View Post
But the aim of asking the question was more along the lines of working out exactly what the poll is for. Is it a case of 'software used by the regular users of linux questions, who have posted more than a certain number of times and come back to the site even when they dont themselves have issues' or is it a poll for 'software that people on linux use'. Both of these demographics represent very different mindsets, and the poll will have different implications.
The demographic is every person in the Linux and Open Source community who is willing to register for an account here at LQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00dax View Post
Could you point me as to where this info is published ? the search options seem to have come up a bit blank. And the actual 'welcome to the polls' does not seem to have this info either.
What information, exactly, are you looking for? The nominees are chosen by me with input from the LQ community and posted well before the polls open to solicit as much feedback as possible. Updates, corrections and additions are made during this period and then the polls open.

--jeremy
 
Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #28
z00dax
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
What details, exactly, can you not see? You're saying that while you are logged into this account going to a poll does not result is you seeing all nominees and also being able to vote in all polls?
thats right, the list of nominations is not visible by just creating an account. It looks however, something tweaked and after my last reply I was able to see the list. Seems like there is a requirement to have a post or two in the forums before the list is revealed and the ability to vote is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
What information, exactly, are you looking for? The nominees are chosen by me with input from the LQ community and posted well before the polls open to solicit as much feedback as possible. Updates, corrections and additions are made during this period and then the polls open.
Thats partially what I am looking for. Maybe definable as a 'whats needed to be nominated'. Guess I just need to look harder to see where you posted that list of nominees well before the pools open. Will dig.
 
Old 01-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,607
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00dax View Post
Guess I just need to look harder to see where you posted that list of nominees well before the pools open. Will dig.
These were posted under the existing threads for each category. The difference is that the voting option was closed.
 
Old 01-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #30
Tuffal_Simon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
welcome you ok fine
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome to the 2010 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards jeremy 2010 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 19 03-14-2011 08:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration