LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > 2009 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards
User Name
Password
2009 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards This forum is for the 2009 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards.
You can now vote for your favorite products of 2009. This is your chance to be heard! Voting ends on February 9th.

Notices

View Poll Results: Virtualization Product of the Year
VirtualBox 354 67.43%
Xen 29 5.52%
VMware 80 15.24%
OpenVZ 7 1.33%
Parallels Workstation 3 0.57%
QEMU 17 3.24%
KVM 35 6.67%
Oracle VM 0 0%
VServer 0 0%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #16
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCode View Post
VirtualBox FTW! I'ts free, it's easy to use, and you can even use it on dated hardware w/o too much trouble (I'm on a P4 people...a P4!)
P4 ain't nothin'

Try an Intel Atom. AN INTEL ATOM!

people are so freaked out when I show them win7 running in a VM and then twirl the compiz cube around while it's going in seamless mode. especially on this tiny little thing.

VBox FTW!
 
Old 01-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 22,988
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880
Missing zVM in the mix :}

But then again, the s390 isn't that common an architecture.
 
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
MBybee
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: wherever I can make a living
Distribution: PC-BSD / FreeBSD / Debian / Ubuntu / Win7 / OpenVMS
Posts: 438

Rep: Reputation: 57
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
Missing zVM in the mix :}

But then again, the s390 isn't that common an architecture.
Well, the z10s did largely replace them
Actually, I try to avoid pointing out to Unix people that they came about most of these technologies about 20 years late (though not always with success ), and that Unix still has a lot to learn before it grows up to be a real multi-user OS
 
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
Electro
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,042

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCode View Post
VirtualBox FTW! I'ts free, it's easy to use, and you can even use it on dated hardware w/o too much trouble (I'm on a P4 people...a P4!)
I have tried Virtualbox and it is not easy to use. VMware is also free and as always it is very easy to use. VMware is a lot more mature than Virtualbox. For people that are obvious, look for VMware Server. The great thing about VMware Server is its ability to serve virtual machines to other computers. Of course if they have the VMware console client which is mainly a GUI program that interfaces with VMware Server the user can setup one virtual machine and not have to copy the virtual machine to many computers. This makes VMware Server better than Virtualbox.
 
Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
MBybee
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: wherever I can make a living
Distribution: PC-BSD / FreeBSD / Debian / Ubuntu / Win7 / OpenVMS
Posts: 438

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
I have tried Virtualbox and it is not easy to use. VMware is also free and as always it is very easy to use. VMware is a lot more mature than Virtualbox. For people that are obvious, look for VMware Server. The great thing about VMware Server is its ability to serve virtual machines to other computers. Of course if they have the VMware console client which is mainly a GUI program that interfaces with VMware Server the user can setup one virtual machine and not have to copy the virtual machine to many computers. This makes VMware Server better than Virtualbox.
I use both, but I'm not sure which part of VirtualBox makes it hard to use? I'm curious, because the speed and ease of use are why I ended up switching my personal stuff to VirtualBox (though I still run GSX/ESX at work)
 
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #21
Electro
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,042

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBybee View Post
I use both, but I'm not sure which part of VirtualBox makes it hard to use? I'm curious, because the speed and ease of use are why I ended up switching my personal stuff to VirtualBox (though I still run GSX/ESX at work)
Virtualbox is not easy to setup because it requires its network to be setup by hand while VMware does not. If I want to setup either a network bridge or NAT in Virtualbox, the setup gets complicated. It requires the kernels virtual network modules to be compiled if it they are compiled. Also the understanding the methods to setup a virtual network that Virtualbox can identify. Using a physical network connection for Virtualbox also have the same problems. Using USB devices with Virtualbox is more complicated than VMware. Other issues that I had with Virtualbox is its reliability and stability is poor compared to a very, very mature program like VMware.

VMware Server (aka GSX) is easy to setup and easy to use. The speed of both VMware and Virtualbox is the same. The only difference is the stability and reliability which VMware has and Virtualbox does not.
 
Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #22
kingston
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Bengaluru, India
Distribution: RHEL 5.5, Solaris 5.10
Posts: 193
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 21
Virtual Box......No way it is that one...the best one......
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #23
MBybee
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: wherever I can make a living
Distribution: PC-BSD / FreeBSD / Debian / Ubuntu / Win7 / OpenVMS
Posts: 438

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
Virtualbox is not easy to setup because it requires its network to be setup by hand while VMware does not. If I want to setup either a network bridge or NAT in Virtualbox, the setup gets complicated. It requires the kernels virtual network modules to be compiled if it they are compiled. Also the understanding the methods to setup a virtual network that Virtualbox can identify. Using a physical network connection for Virtualbox also have the same problems. Using USB devices with Virtualbox is more complicated than VMware. Other issues that I had with Virtualbox is its reliability and stability is poor compared to a very, very mature program like VMware.

VMware Server (aka GSX) is easy to setup and easy to use. The speed of both VMware and Virtualbox is the same. The only difference is the stability and reliability which VMware has and Virtualbox does not.
That's interesting - I've done probably 200 installs of PC-BSD and FreeBSD under Virtual Box (alpha/beta testing installers - gotta love it) without having a single network issue.

I also have Debian Lenny installed under Virtual Box, as well as Windows XP under Virtual Box. Virtual Box itself is under Windows XP in one case and under PC-BSD in the other cases.

Never a single VirtualBox related crash yet, so I guess I can't substantiate your anecdotes with my own lol

Sorry it's being a pain for you, though.
Now as for VMware being mature? That I can back up. Last year, I had 31 tickets open with RedHat, SAP, or Oracle related to VMware stability issues. Easy to tell - I just ran a report on my ticket queue

Biggest problem I had there was caused by Java or kernel settings on the clients, though.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #24
LanDan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Where is VServer??

i've been using it for years and still do as a default for any server i install.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,447

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632
VServer has been added.

--jeremy
 
Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #26
the1sephiroth
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: east coast
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 131

Rep: Reputation: 15
I've been using VMware on windows servers to run linux distros. But if I'm running linux as the host OS, then I think Virtual Box is actually easier to set up. A tough vote, but I think I'm going to go with vmware this year.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #27
MBybee
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: wherever I can make a living
Distribution: PC-BSD / FreeBSD / Debian / Ubuntu / Win7 / OpenVMS
Posts: 438

Rep: Reputation: 57
What Virtual Box needs (or has, but I'm not aware of it yet?) is VMotion.

On the enterprise level, ESX server is just amazing when it comes to dealing with the throngs of little servers. Ignoring for a moment the architectural/political issues of this - being able to seamlessly migrate a bunch of little servers around on my server farm makes maintenance really easy. I recently upgraded memory on several of those boxes with no down-time noticed by the clients.

A solid win for me there
 
Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #28
replica9000
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Quahog, Rhode Island
Distribution: Debian 'Sid', FreeBSD, Android
Posts: 666
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
I use VirtualBox CSE (for the USB support)
 
Old 01-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #29
jjthomas
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 242
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 28
This one is hard, I use VMWare and VirtualBox. I wish someone would take the best of both and make them into one.

-JJ
 
Old 01-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #30
jasohl
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Distribution: Gentoo, LinuxMint, Arch Linux
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: 18
Virtual Box.
At college we had Virtual Box, VMWare and MS Virtual PC. Most all students used Virtual Box as it is easy to use and consistently worked for all Guest OS's tried.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virtualization Product of the Year jeremy 2008 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 39 10-19-2009 02:11 AM
RH Virtualization/KVM Help! Need the binaries for acquired product Qumranet Solid Ice martco Linux - Enterprise 1 03-22-2009 09:40 PM
Virtualization Product of the Year jeremy 2007 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 44 02-28-2008 08:16 PM
LXer: Performance Technologies' NexusWare(TM) Linux-Based Software Suite Named Product of the Year by INTERNET TELEPHONY(R) Magazine LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-14-2006 05:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration