LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > 2009 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards
User Name
Password
2009 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards This forum is for the 2009 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards.
You can now vote for your favorite products of 2009. This is your chance to be heard! Voting ends on February 9th.

Notices

View Poll Results: Desktop Distribution of the Year
Ubuntu 343 30.17%
Fedora 111 9.76%
Debian 101 8.88%
openSuse 68 5.98%
Slackware 190 16.71%
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 3 0.26%
Mandriva 46 4.05%
Gentoo 43 3.78%
MEPIS 19 1.67%
Linux Mint 93 8.18%
Arch 59 5.19%
PClinuxOS 28 2.46%
Zenwalk 7 0.62%
VectorLinux 5 0.44%
Freespire 0 0%
gOS 0 0%
Sabayon 6 0.53%
Puppy 15 1.32%
Voters: 1137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #181
~sHyLoCk~
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 1,173
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju.mopidevi View Post
Last year also ubuntu got first with 35%. but this year only 30%.
Next year it'll be 25% if they make another mistake like karmic.
 
Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #182
meetscott
Samhain Slackbuild Maintainer
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 411

Rep: Reputation: 42
I can't believe Ubuntu won... Why would anyone use Ubuntu when you can use the real deal? Slackware. The way Linux should be! It is the oldest distro and still the best. All others are imitations or cheap-ass copy-cats.

15 Years of Slackware! Look people, I've really tried other distros. I even used Ubuntu at work for a while. It sucked so bad and was so unstable, I just gave up. Why punish yourself? Just use what is easy and reliable and be done with it. I hope I never have another lapse of sanity so I don't have to waste my time with anything but the ONE TRUE LINUX that is SLACKWARE.

Other distros make me so frustrated:
RPM - sucks
System V init - sucks
Ubuntu - sucks

RPM would screw me every time. I was always baby sitting the packages and dependencies. I was a slave to my system maintenance. That rules out Suse and Dead Hat. I hate System V just because. I don't have a good reason, I just don't like it. It confuses me and I'm simple.

Congrats to Ubuntu for giving me the most unstable computer I've had since Windows Me... I mean that with all sincerity. I still can't believe they managed to make Linux both slow and unstable. That is a true accomplishment.

And I just want everyone to know that I used all my intellect and my best arguments and my most well thought out examples and my pure biased-assed, subjective criticism to write this entry.
 
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #183
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Quote:
I can't believe Ubuntu won... Why would anyone use Ubuntu when you can use the real deal? Slackware. The way Linux should be! It is the oldest distro and still the best. All others are imitations or cheap-ass copy-cats.

15 Years of Slackware! Look people, I've really tried other distros. I even used Ubuntu at work for a while. It sucked so bad and was so unstable, I just gave up. Why punish yourself? Just use what is easy and reliable and be done with it. I hope I never have another lapse of sanity so I don't have to waste my time with anything but the ONE TRUE LINUX that is SLACKWARE.

Other distros make me so frustrated:
RPM - sucks
System V init - sucks
Ubuntu - sucks

RPM would screw me every time. I was always baby sitting the packages and dependencies. I was a slave to my system maintenance. That rules out Suse and Dead Hat. I hate System V just because. I don't have a good reason, I just don't like it. It confuses me and I'm simple.

Congrats to Ubuntu for giving me the most unstable computer I've had since Windows Me... I mean that with all sincerity. I still can't believe they managed to make Linux both slow and unstable. That is a true accomplishment.

And I just want everyone to know that I used all my intellect and my best arguments and my most well thought out examples and my pure biased-assed, subjective criticism to write this entry.
Sounds like the ranting of a Reborn Slackian...
 
Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #184
robertkey
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Somerset West, South Africa
Distribution: Debian testing amd64
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
Passionate Slackware

Phew! The slackware users sure are passionate! More so than any other distribution! I wonder if this poll is about the distributions or about the people using them!
But honestly I use Debian squeeze, I have never used the other distributions so I did not vote. The question was "Which is the best desktop distribution?". In order to answer this question one must have used all the distributions to make the comparison and then allocated points to different features and then see which one comes out tops. I'm sure most people chose the distribution they use and they probably have only used one distribution like me.
This is the only thread I have read in its entirety!
Great reading. Keep it up Slackware!. In fact I will install Slackware 64bit on my amd64. The passion is catching!

Rob Key
 
Old 02-11-2010, 05:28 AM   #185
dixiedancer
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: Florida, Occupied CSA
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 98
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 37
He's right about Ubuntu's latest, though. I started in Ubuntu and still love it (though I've switched to Xubuntu now, which rocks!), but Karmic Koala was inexcusable for using beta software by default in a "ready" release of their "beginner-friendly" distro. I blogged about it here on LQ (shameless plug for my LQ blog, lol). Huge numbers of their users were forced to use earlier, more stable versions.

The good news, though, is that the next release - a Long-Term-Support release - is being built on Debian Testing rather than Debian Unstable (as usual). Perhaps it will restore a little faith in the distro. I can also vouch for the speed, elegance, and purity of Xubuntu. It is NOT just "Ubuntu with Xfce tied on." It is minimal Ubuntu without the stupid experimental beta stuff like PulseAudio (nor Mono, if that matters to you). It is a separate project (did you can't and never could get Xubuntu CDs from Canonical? Only Ubuntu and Kubuntu are "official"), and shares almost none of the nonsense that has sent many Karmic Ubuntu and Kubuntu users to earlier versions of Ubuntu or other distros entirely.

-Robin

Last edited by dixiedancer; 02-11-2010 at 05:30 AM. Reason: forgot to close quote. D'oh!
 
Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #186
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,040
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm surprised Debian only came in at number 4. Should have been:
Slackware: 60%
Debian: 30%
The Rest: 10%
 
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #187
Alexvader
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slackware
Posts: 994

Rep: Reputation: 94
Hi...

Why was Crux not included...?

Sure follows the same guidelines that Slackware, and ARCH...

k.i.s.s, reliability, speed...

I mean.. things like GOs and Sabayon were included as well..,

BRGDS

Alex
 
Old 02-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #188
tobias_r33per
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Fedora Core 14, Gentoo 2011, Mandriva 2010 Powerpack, Ubuntu 10.10
Posts: 49

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
I'm surprised Debian only came in at number 4. Should have been:
Slackware: 60%
Debian: 30%
The Rest: 10%
i do agree with this, debian is the root of ubuntu and i would choose it anyday over it. Sackware and gentoo are the best true linux distros out there, source and compile from it always makes for the better cleaner faster system. rather than prepackaged bloating
 
Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #189
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Quote:
Sackware
LOL
 
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #190
tobias_r33per
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Fedora Core 14, Gentoo 2011, Mandriva 2010 Powerpack, Ubuntu 10.10
Posts: 49

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
LOL
awww dang it

you know what i mean
 
Old 02-12-2010, 03:35 AM   #191
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,040
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias_r33per View Post
Sackware
You're fired!
 
Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #192
alexiy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Slackware-current x86_64,
Posts: 51

Rep: Reputation: 18
I've tried a lot, but always back to SLACKWARE!
 
Old 02-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #193
DavidMcCann
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: CentOS, Salix
Posts: 3,127

Rep: Reputation: 793Reputation: 793Reputation: 793Reputation: 793Reputation: 793Reputation: 793Reputation: 793
Quote from LINUX: Rute User’s Tutorial and Exposition:

Slackware: It’s a pain to install and manage, although school kids who don’t know any better love it.
 
Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #194
MrCode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 864
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias_r33per
Sackware
Freudian slip?
 
Old 02-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #195
meetscott
Samhain Slackbuild Maintainer
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 411

Rep: Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
Quote from LINUX: Rute User’s Tutorial and Exposition:

Slackware: It’s a pain to install and manage, although school kids who don’t know any better love it.
I couldn't possibly disagree more.
 
  


Reply

Tags
slackware, slax, squashfs


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desktop Distribution of the Year jeremy 2008 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 343 06-06-2009 10:26 AM
Best Linux Distro for a 5 year old desktop and a 3 year old laptop silencer07 Linux - General 15 07-25-2008 03:44 PM
Desktop Distribution of the Year jeremy 2007 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 239 06-02-2008 11:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration