LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > 2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards
User Name
Password
2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards This forum is for the 2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards.
You can now vote for your favorite products of 2005. This is your chance to be heard! Voting ends March 6th.

Notices

View Poll Results: Web Development Editor of the Year
Quanta 354 44.31%
Bluefish 172 21.53%
Ginf 2 0.25%
Screem 23 2.88%
Nvu 199 24.91%
Mozilla Composer 49 6.13%
Voters: 799. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #31
KimVette
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Lee, NH
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS, RHEL
Posts: 1,794

Rep: Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosim
Kate, but bluefish makes an ok second. I never use it though.
FYI Quanta uses Kate as its editor, but adds a LOT more memu options for text manipulation. The only thing that Kate/Quanta is missing that I REALLY need is macros.
 
Old 02-16-2006, 02:36 AM   #32
danex50
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quanta. Simply for PHP and it's great CSS editor.
 
Old 02-16-2006, 04:23 AM   #33
d0g
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Distribution: Fedora 7
Posts: 35

Rep: Reputation: 15
NetBeans 5.0...
 
Old 02-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #34
Mordechai
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Israel
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 16

Rep: Reputation: 0
If I were able to use it in Linux, I'd say TopStyle Pro. But, alas...

I tried Quantro and found it lacking. Tried Bluefish and Screem. I'm back with Quantro.
 
Old 02-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #35
KimVette
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Lee, NH
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS, RHEL
Posts: 1,794

Rep: Reputation: 46
TopStyle Pro runs very, very well under wine.
 
Old 02-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #36
garion
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 35

Rep: Reputation: 15
Seems like the Bluefish users think that you **have to** develop WYSIWYG when using Quanta+ otherwise they wouldn't have made the comments they did. Quanta allows you to develop both in code (not just HTML, but PHP, perl, even straight text) as well as WYSIWYG. Quanta+ has so many more useful features that there are only two reason not to use it:

1. You haven't seen all of the features.
2. You are so used to something else that you don't want to spend the time learning Quanta+.

If you look at it in terms of ease of use, number of very useful features and extensibility it is really had to see what someone would want to use anything else.
 
Old 02-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #37
Jaxn
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 142

Rep: Reputation: 15
Emacs? Where is Emacs???
 
Old 02-17-2006, 12:55 AM   #38
pyrosim
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 49

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimVette
FYI Quanta uses Kate as its editor, but adds a LOT more memu options for text manipulation. The only thing that Kate/Quanta is missing that I REALLY need is macros.
Cool! I had not used quanta before, and did not know that it used kate-part. I will check it out. About the macros though... it will happen eventually... hopefully.
 
Old 02-17-2006, 04:55 AM   #39
scuzzman
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Hilliard, Ohio, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Kubuntu
Posts: 1,851

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quanta is my current editor of choice. Though, I usually use straight HTML (no PHP, CSS, etc) so I simply use Kate.

Last edited by scuzzman; 02-17-2006 at 04:56 AM.
 
Old 02-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #40
robeartoesart
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Roanoke, VA
Distribution: PCLinuxOS,Simply Mepis
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quanta all the way.
 
Old 02-19-2006, 05:54 AM   #41
darthtux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2001
Location: 35.7480 N, 95.3690 W
Distribution: Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, Solaris
Posts: 2,070

Rep: Reputation: 45
I've tried them all and it's still Vim. Vim. Vim.
 
Old 02-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #42
garion
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 35

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimVette
FYI Quanta uses Kate as its editor, but adds a LOT more memu options for text manipulation. The only thing that Kate/Quanta is missing that I REALLY need is macros.
What do you mean by "macro". I am not trying to be pendantic here, it's just that the term "macro" often has different meanings in different contexts. I can create an Action that inputs text blocks, wraps selected text around the selected text, sends the selected text or the whole file through an external script (i.e.perl) and the replaces the selection with the output of the script and so forth.

What is it that you want to do?
 
Old 02-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #43
KimVette
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Lee, NH
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS, RHEL
Posts: 1,794

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by garion
What do you mean by "macro". I am not trying to be pendantic here, it's just that the term "macro" often has different meanings in different contexts. I can create an Action that inputs text blocks, wraps selected text around the selected text, sends the selected text or the whole file through an external script (i.e.perl) and the replaces the selection with the output of the script and so forth.

What is it that you want to do?
I'm talking about a playback/record feature. Being able to script an action (which technically is a macro, but not in the classic application sense) is fine and all, but it's so time consuming in comparison to TextPad's recording of a couple of actions, then you can go back and edit it to tweak it if you like, and then you can run it against the selection, play through to the end of file, or repeat (n) number of times. All without wasting time writing the skeleton of the script.

In some cases scripting is by far the superior solution,but when it comes to macros, which are intended to save time, having to stop and write code to manipulate your code (or tabular data, or whatever) is idiotic as coding the macro by hand can often take longer than simply editing the text by hand.
 
Old 02-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #44
amantia
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Macros

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosim
Cool! I had not used quanta before, and did not know that it used kate-part. I will check it out. About the macros though... it will happen eventually... hopefully.
What do you mean about macros? Quanta supports code snippets in a various way (actions or abbreviations). If you talk about scriptability, then you can write scripts to modify the content of the document(s) with the DCOP interfaces provided by Quanta and the Kate part.
 
Old 02-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #45
amantia
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimVette
I'm talking about a playback/record feature. Being able to script an action (which technically is a macro, but not in the classic application sense) is fine and all, but it's so time consuming in comparison to TextPad's recording of a couple of actions, then you can go back and edit it to tweak it if you like, and then you can run it against the selection, play through to the end of file, or repeat (n) number of times. All without wasting time writing the skeleton of the script.
I don't know about such feature in whole KDE and I believe this should not be application specific, but something provided by the base libraries.
 
  


Reply

Tags
members choice awards


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration