LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > 2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards
User Name
Password
2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards This forum is for the 2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards.
You can now vote for your favorite products of 2005. This is your chance to be heard! Voting ends March 6th.

Notices



Poll: Desktop Environment of the Year
Poll Options
Desktop Environment of the Year

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

KDE
Gnome
XFCE
GNUstep
Ximian

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2006, 06:37 AM   #196
jeezledoop
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWindowsInMyHome
qt is not easier to develop on unless you're a dedicated C++ devloper in QT.
What? Do you have the slightest idea what you are talking about?
Explain further please.

What was the point of your link. None of the problems talked about were anything to do with qt.

But apart from all that I really dont give a rats a*** what people develop on. If it worries you that much contact Motorolla. I'm sure they will value your opinion highly.
 
Old 03-02-2006, 06:45 AM   #197
NoWindowsInMyHome
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
What? Do you have the slightest idea what you are talking about?
Explain further please.
a lot more than you it seems. you may have noticed that qt isn't exactly the most conventional to say the least. its quite a bit different from normal C++. also, C++ is very difficult to produce bindings for...Qt even more so because standard C++ isn't used. there are some half hearted bindings available for qt but they are extrememely incomplete at best....and these will always been years behind qt because they will always been playing a very slow(given the difficulty of producing bndings for qt) game of catchup. so unless you're a dedicated C++ developer in Qt, gtk is the easier by far.

Last edited by NoWindowsInMyHome; 03-02-2006 at 06:48 AM.
 
Old 03-02-2006, 07:12 AM   #198
jeezledoop
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
"a lot more than you it seems. you may have noticed that qt isn't exactly the most conventional to say the least. its quite a bit different from normal C++. also, C++ is very difficult to produce bindings for...Qt even more so because standard C++ isn't used. there are some half hearted bindings available for qt but they are extrememely incomplete at best....and these will always been years behind qt because they will always been playing a very slow(given the difficulty of producing bndings for qt) game of catchup. so unless you're a dedicated C++ developer in Qt, gtk is the easier by far."

you are an idiot...

Last edited by jeezledoop; 03-02-2006 at 07:13 AM.
 
Old 03-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #199
NoWindowsInMyHome
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
you are an idiot...
because i'm an idiot, i need everything explaining to me in the most minute of detail. so please explain what exactly about what i've written there led you to drawing that conclusion, oh wise one?
 
Old 03-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #200
Thetargos
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico City
Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu & Mint
Posts: 1,679

Rep: Reputation: 45
I certainly don't see where is this discussion going to. Toolkits have nothing to do with the Desktop Environments orther than providing the widgets and programming interface for them. Having a discussion over the toolkits is fine an all, but do you consider it worth name-calling, jeezledoop? If you have nothing to add, correct or discuss about the issue and what other posters have said, why not just skip the message and not answer? Name-calling, in this case, makes you look like the fool, not the one providing the argumentation, so if you have nothing to add, why even bother?

In any case, as Jeremy has already warned in this very thread, let's keep things clean and in order. Let's avoid closing this thread and take any "hot" discussions to another (dedicated) thread and keep this one to the point, shall we?
 
Old 03-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #201
kestrel1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: 0
I use KDE on all my Linux boxes, it is just all there.
 
Old 03-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #202
jeezledoop
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetargos
I certainly don't see where is this discussion going to. Toolkits have nothing to do with the Desktop Environments orther than providing the widgets and programming interface for them. Having a discussion over the toolkits is fine an all, but do you consider it worth name-calling, jeezledoop? If you have nothing to add, correct or discuss about the issue and what other posters have said, why not just skip the message and not answer? Name-calling, in this case, makes you look like the fool, not the one providing the argumentation, so if you have nothing to add, why even bother?

In any case, as Jeremy has already warned in this very thread, let's keep things clean and in order. Let's avoid closing this thread and take any "hot" discussions to another (dedicated) thread and keep this one to the point, shall we?
Birds of a feather flock together. Should've known youd be along
 
Old 03-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #203
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Distribution: Fedora Core 5,4,3 & Ubuntu 6.06, 8.10
Posts: 403
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 30
I started as a Gnome user but switched to KDE after 8 months. i like the eye-candy a lot ( i consider myself more of a general home user ) but there are several strengths in Gnome. for instance i prefer Nautilus way over KDE's file manager ( heck, its the only file manager i use in KDE :P ). the introduction of XGL should give Gnome a push in the right direction ( i heard it only workd on gnome..i think ) and with Plasma in KDE4 i think the only winner in the end is the user
 
Old 03-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #204
NoWindowsInMyHome
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezledoop
Birds of a feather flock together. Should've known youd be along
you still haven't answered my question. and while you're thinking of a reply, you can have a good read of this
Quote:
Interview with Emre Sokulla on SimpleKDE

Why did you come up with SimpleKDE?

"The main reason is that we find KDE too cluttered and too bloated; and we want something faster, more simplistic and easier to use. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with my own KDE installation, but I especially observe beginners having difficulty in adapting themselves to it. The results of TOSSAD (a European Union funded usability research project managed by some experts in Turkey) proves also what I claim in here."
http://themoddingden.objectis.net/interviews/simplekde

its exactly as i've been saying.

Last edited by NoWindowsInMyHome; 03-03-2006 at 05:34 AM.
 
Old 03-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #205
coltree
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Brisbane Queensland AU
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 28
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1
I've steered away from KDE because it often has security updates and one update usually means a whole slew of updates, while I was on a modem it took too long. Gnome or KDE it's just way too many dependencies. When was the last time you compiled Gnome from scratch, not nice. I sometimes feel KDE is trying to take over the desktop, I seem to loose access to my fave gtk apps and all I see is a k world. Themes which carry across gnome & kde & all other gui apps for a consistent user experience. I like some k and some g apps but don't want to load 150 MB for a couple of neat apps, so I avoid both.
 
Old 03-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #206
taylorchase
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04, SLES 10, OS X 10.6
Posts: 73

Rep: Reputation: 15
I love Gnome but I love KDE more
 
Old 03-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #207
jeezledoop
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWindowsInMyHome
you still haven't answered my question. and while you're thinking of a reply, you can have a good read of this

http://themoddingden.objectis.net/interviews/simplekde

its exactly as i've been saying.
I did answer your question. You got the only answer that could do justice to that load of shit you posted.

As for simplekde, its nothing more than someone trying to make a name for himself as a usability expert. Good luck to him. You can see the luke warm reaction from kde users in the comments too. Oh and dont bother quoting the posts of your sad fellow gnome fanboys who see this little project as some sort of endorsement of gnomes cock ups.

I feel so sorry for you. It really burns you up that KDE is so popular. Thats why you spend your life on forums like this trying every way you can to convince the world how superior your beloved gnome is. But no one listens,do they? People just keep on using what they want to use. Why?, because people are a lot smarter than you give them credit for. If you want to speak to me more about this, please wait till the results of the poll are announced and I will be only too glad to rub your sad pathetic little face in it.
 
Old 03-03-2006, 12:17 PM   #208
Argyle
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Suse 10
Posts: 16

Rep: Reputation: 0
I think gnome is just a better looking environment. It doesnt have that marshmallow look of KDE. But then again I am still a novice with Linux. Although just from looking at the KDE screen, it gives me a warm fuzzy safe feeling, and the icons are enormous. It seems well suited to be used on school computers rather than what they currently use. In a sense, the eye candy makes me automatically feel like there is going to be reduced functionality based on previous experiences with graphic intensive games that only had three levels, or awesome looking user interfaces on cell phones that dont give logical menu paths (when all you want to do is change your damn ring tone). I have not had a bad experience with KDE, but Gnome seems more logical in its arrangement.
 
Old 03-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #209
NoWindowsInMyHome
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezledoop
I did answer your question. You got the only answer that could do justice to that load of shit you posted.

As for simplekde, its nothing more than someone trying to make a name for himself as a usability expert. Good luck to him. You can see the luke warm reaction from kde users in the comments too. Oh and dont bother quoting the posts of your sad fellow gnome fanboys who see this little project as some sort of endorsement of gnomes cock ups.

I feel so sorry for you. It really burns you up that KDE is so popular. Thats why you spend your life on forums like this trying every way you can to convince the world how superior your beloved gnome is. But no one listens,do they? People just keep on using what they want to use. Why?, because people are a lot smarter than you give them credit for. If you want to speak to me more about this, please wait till the results of the poll are announced and I will be only too glad to rub your sad pathetic little face in it.
seems like that article exposing the many inherent failings of kde really got to you. now stop being such a silly little man and answer my question that you keep on avoiding.

ps Emre Sokulla is a kde developer, not a usability expert.

Last edited by NoWindowsInMyHome; 03-03-2006 at 03:11 PM.
 
Old 03-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #210
jeezledoop
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWindowsInMyHome
ps Emre Sokulla is a kde developer, not a usability expert.
Emre Sokulla is NOT a KDE developer, but I agree with you totally that he is not a usability expert
 
  


Reply

Tags
linux, members choice awards


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: 2006 is NOT the year for Linux on the desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-10-2006 02:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration