LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > 2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards
User Name
Password
2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards This forum is for the 2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards.
You can now vote for your favorite products of 2005. This is your chance to be heard! Voting ends March 6th.

Notices



Poll: Database of the Year
Poll Options
Database of the Year

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

MySQL
PostgreSQL
Firebird
Oracle
Sybase
DB2
Berkley DB
sqlite
InnoDB
EnterpriseDB

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #61
ash_ahead
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
oracle


oracle is best......
 
Old 02-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #62
brockers
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: 15
We use DB2 at work... whatever you do don't vote for DB2! I generally spend 10 minutes getting xyz done on MySQL (because it just works) and then spend the next 5 days moving xyz too DB2 because "DB2 is the platform we have always used and we are not about too change now, period".

Bobby
 
Old 02-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #63
decibel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockers
We use DB2 at work... whatever you do don't vote for DB2! I generally spend 10 minutes getting xyz done on MySQL (because it just works) and then spend the next 5 days moving xyz too DB2 because "DB2 is the platform we have always used and we are not about too change now, period".

Bobby
Yeah, but how much of that time is wasted because MySQL is extremely non-standard? It'd be a much more convincing argument if you were using an ANSI-compliant database as your point of comparison. And you might just discover that you're just thinking about things in ways that databases don't work.

But yeah, DB2 is pretty bad. Only database I've ever seen deadlock on a single row update with no other connections to the database...
 
Old 02-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #64
fikret
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibel
Yeah, but how much of that time is wasted because MySQL is extremely non-standard? It'd be a much more convincing argument if you were using an ANSI-compliant database as your point of comparison. And you might just discover that you're just thinking about things in ways that databases don't work.
I agree here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibel
But yeah, DB2 is pretty bad. Only database I've ever seen deadlock on a single row update with no other connections to the database...
Hmmm... I didn't knew that this is possible.
 
Old 02-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #65
alaithea
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
SQLite is awesome for quick-n-dirty databases. No setup! Imagine that!
 
Old 02-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #66
decibel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikret
Hmmm... I didn't knew that this is possible.
Well, it shouldn't be possible to make a single row update in an otherwise quiet database deadlock unless you've messed up a bunch of triggers or something (which I hadn't done).

What was happening is that DB2 allows for Serializable and Repeatable Read by locking the 'next row' in all the indexes on the table. If you defined the right combination of indexes... BLAM! deadlock. It was 100% repeatable, too.

The solution was to twiddle some magic parameter that disabled RR and Serial consistency (which was fine in this case since we weren't using them).
 
Old 02-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #67
Satissh Srinivasan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Chennai , India
Distribution: LFS (Linux From Scratch)
Posts: 17

Rep: Reputation: 0
Whats this Question? Mysql is the best and the most open one out there. Millions use it and why shouldn't we?
Linux Apache MySql perl/php/python (LAMP) Rocks!!
 
Old 02-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #68
decibel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satissh Srinivasan
Whats this Question? Mysql is the best and the most open one out there. Millions use it and why shouldn't we?
Linux Apache MySql perl/php/python (LAMP) Rocks!!
If it was 'the best', then there wouldn't be about 100 gotchas listed at http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html. It wouldn't think that Feb. 31st was a valid date. It would also come with 'features' such as being able to make a backup without shutting the database down. MySQL's stance is: get the feature in first; worry about it working correctly later. You want to trust your data to that? I certainly don't.

It's absolutely not the most open. The 'free' license is more restrictive than the GPL, which is pretty hard to do. SQLite is the most free: it's public domain. PostgreSQL is close behind; it's BSD license only means you have to maintain the copywrite/license notice and you can't sue UC Berkley.

Millions of people use Windows 98... should you? A lot of people using it doesn't mean it's good, by any stretch of the imagination.
 
Old 02-28-2006, 10:45 PM   #69
sdexp
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: USA
Distribution: Ubuntu Linux
Posts: 103

Rep: Reputation: 15
Who would dispute the ever-popular MySQL?
 
Old 03-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #70
decibel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdexp
Who would dispute the ever-popular MySQL?
Someone who can think for themselves? :P
 
Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 AM   #71
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,004
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibel
Millions of people use Windows 98... should you? A lot of people using it doesn't mean it's good, by any stretch of the imagination.
Billions of flies eat feces, I still don't feel tempted, either ;}


Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 03-01-2006, 04:15 AM   #72
thorn101
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: 0
I use MUMPS for programming databases, since that one isn't in the list I have to choose BerkeleyDB, it's lightning fast.
 
Old 03-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #73
fikret
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaithea
No setup! Imagine that!
Then try Firebird embedded and come back ;-)
 
Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 AM   #74
fikret
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satissh Srinivasan
Mysql is the best and the most open one out there.
MySQL now have one of Database pioneers, Jim Starkey, who created Interbase (count Firebird here too) so their future looks bright, but only if they do what Jim says :-)
MySQL is NOT open, with their dual license... Firebird and PostgreSQL are!
 
Old 03-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #75
decibel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikret
MySQL now have one of Database pioneers, Jim Starkey, who created Interbase (count Firebird here too) so their future looks bright, but only if they do what Jim says :-)
That's an if that's unlikely to happen. They've had some clued folks over there for years, yet there's still all kinds of broken-ness.
 
  


Reply

Tags
members choice awards


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snort database: Closing connection to database "" Homer Glemkin Linux - Security 2 07-14-2005 07:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration