I installed OpenBSD for the first time. I am not an experienced *NIX or *BSD user. Privacy matters so OpenBSD seemed to me a good choice.
My main question it`s a simple problem:
I mounted the cd-rom. In the cd-rom there is firmware which probably would solve another problem (wireless internet connection with INTEL PRO/wireless 2200GB).
I am getting an error message when I try to install the firmware contained in the cd-rom.
can`t find /cdrom/iwi-firmware-2.3.gz
/usr/sbin/pkg_add : /cdrom/iwi-firmware-2.3.gz : fatal error
1. What should I do to install this file from cd-rom?
For the non experienced OpenBSD it`s difficult, everything I do(from the command-line) I need to search or google it, sometimes books don`t give me a quickly answer about what to do to perform a task or about an specific error. When I don`t know, the books I have don`t show the solution, the internet doesn`t show the situation I am looking for, I think I must ask, and the question is where to ask. I subscribed a mailing list, Openbsdfirstname.lastname@example.org
2. Wherelse can I ask OpenBSD and security newbie questions with some feedback quality and without being judge for my ignorance, in the web, and besides LQ?
3. Which books or information do you recommend me to my situation, in order to become basically confortable with the command line and with the essential of OpenBSD?
4. My keyboard it not properly configured, keys doesn`t correspond to symbols, my country it`s Portugal (pt), how can i correct this situation?
5. Is OpenBSD good in order to preserve digital information across the time or data "one of these days" will be lost forever?
6. Can I surf the Internet nicely without windows manager or desktop? How can I install and use a desktop or windows manager? Do I need an graphical environment to use Firefox and Gnu Privacy Guard?
7. Anonym.OS it`s an OpenBSD derived. Do you know where to find more information about this Operating System? How can I acced the command-line in Anomym.OS in order to config the wireless internet? When I save something using the live cd where the information will be stored? Can this information be retrieved by the other mainy OS installed already (not live cd)?
Thanks in Advance.