LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
twelvenine
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 72

Rep: Reputation: 16
newbie bsd questions


hi, i'm a linux user and i've been considering trying out bsd, probably freebsd, but i have a few questions about it:

1. whats with the kernel/distro situation? do netbsd, freebsd, and openbsd have their own kernels or is there one bsd kernel that they all use?

2. what is hardware support like for bsd? will i be able to get good drivers for my video card, wifi, sound, etc. with bsd? do ati or nvidia put out a bsd driver?

3. i have heard that it's possible to use linux software with bsd, but that it requires some kind of emulation. i assume that if compiled from source, this emulation wouldn't be necessary, but i thought that both bsd and linux used elf binaries.

Why wouldn't i be able to execute a linux binary on a bsd system if they both support elf? i actually tried executing my linux 'ls' binary from a freebsd live cd(freesbie) and it didn't work.
 
Old 12-24-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
btmiller
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: In the DC 'burbs
Distribution: Arch, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu
Posts: 3,995

Rep: Reputation: 261Reputation: 261Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvenine
hi, i'm a linux user and i've been considering trying out bsd, probably freebsd, but i have a few questions about it:

1. whats with the kernel/distro situation? do netbsd, freebsd, and openbsd have their own kernels or is there one bsd kernel that they all use?
Net, Free, Open, and DragonflyBSD have their own kernels. I believe both PC-BSD and DesktopBSD are basically FreeBSD and use the FreeBSD kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvenine
2. what is hardware support like for bsd? will i be able to get good drivers for my video card, wifi, sound, etc. with bsd? do ati or nvidia put out a bsd driver?
There's a FreeBSD Nvidia driver. I've found the hardware support to be generally quite good, but this can be a hard question to answer if you don't tell us a little bit about the hardware that you want to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvenine
3. i have heard that it's possible to use linux software with bsd, but that it requires some kind of emulation. i assume that if compiled from source, this emulation wouldn't be necessary, but i thought that both bsd and linux used elf binaries.

Why wouldn't i be able to execute a linux binary on a bsd system if they both support elf? i actually tried executing my linux 'ls' binary from a freebsd live cd(freesbie) and it didn't work.
Basically, the system call interfaces and standard libraries differ between Linux and the BSDs. I believe the "Linux binary compatibility" features in the BSDs just translate the Linux system and library calls into their BSD equivalents. This is not emulation per se, but it's more like what WINE is. a compatibility layer that translates certain service requests designed for one platform into that understood by the kernel and system libraries of another.
 
Old 12-24-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
twelvenine
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 72

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
i'm thinking i'll try bsd out on my computer with a nvidia card so i can try that driver out. the rest of it's hardware is pretty generic, so i'm not worried about support issues. i'm thinking i'll just install it and see how things go.

what i've heard about bsd is that most hardware "just works" out of the box, but i was expecting that the support might be kind of generic, especially if the major distrobutions have their own kernels. say, for example, i'm running openbsd and it doesn't support my sound card for whatever reason, but freebsd has a driver for it. would i be able to use that freebsd driver with openbsd or are the kernels too different for that?

are there any third party driver projects in bsd or is everything pretty much handled by the bsd devs? i guess net/free/open each have their own group of bsd devs that work on their kernels?
 
Old 12-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
chort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, USA
Distribution: OpenBSD 4.6, OS X 10.6.2, CentOS 4 & 5
Posts: 3,660

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvenine
i'm thinking i'll try bsd out on my computer with a nvidia card so i can try that driver out. the rest of it's hardware is pretty generic, so i'm not worried about support issues. i'm thinking i'll just install it and see how things go.
I believe most of the BSD OSs maintain a list of compatible hardware on their site. You should double-check prior to installation to make sure yours is supported.

Quote:
what i've heard about bsd is that most hardware "just works" out of the box,
Mostly, but a lot of HW manufacturers are being stupidly secretive about their newest hardware as a "trade secret" and will not release documentation to developers unless they sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, or won't even release the documentation at all. That means some hardware might not be supported. The best support is on older hardware from when manufacturers weren't so paranoid, or if they were there has been ample time to reverse-engineer their devices.

Quote:
but i was expecting that the support might be kind of generic, especially if the major distrobutions have their own kernels. say, for example, i'm running openbsd and it doesn't support my sound card for whatever reason, but freebsd has a driver for it. would i be able to use that freebsd driver with openbsd or are the kernels too different for that?
The projects do often import driver code from each other to build native drivers, but simply having the source for a driver in one of the OSs will not allow it to run on another.

Quote:
are there any third party driver projects in bsd or is everything pretty much handled by the bsd devs? i guess net/free/open each have their own group of bsd devs that work on their kernels?
Each project has their own devs.
 
Old 12-24-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
frob23
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: Roughly 29.467N / 81.206W
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, NetBSD
Posts: 1,449

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvenine
3. i have heard that it's possible to use linux software with bsd, but that it requires some kind of emulation. i assume that if compiled from source, this emulation wouldn't be necessary, but i thought that both bsd and linux used elf binaries.

Why wouldn't i be able to execute a linux binary on a bsd system if they both support elf? i actually tried executing my linux 'ls' binary from a freebsd live cd(freesbie) and it didn't work.
Like it has been said, it's not really emulation but rather system call translation. You need to understand that elf(5) is a file format and not an assurance that the files will be executable on any machine other than the one they were built to run on. Many Un*x and Unix-like systems use the elf format. The format defines how the file is laid out internally and the structures that can be expected... but does not define the way system calls are made (for example) or the byte-order of the file. There are many reasons why one file would not run on another system.

On FreeBSD you typically need to tell the system that it's looking at a Linux binary with brandelf(1) which tells the system to use that ABI when it runs the file. If the file is statically linked, then you're done and it usually works just fine at this point. But if it's not (like ls from your Linux system probably was not) then you need to have the proper libraries installed (under /compat/linux in this case) so that FreeBSD can find the other bits the program needs to run. Once you have the linux_base sets installed, this is usually not a problem anymore. As it installs most generic things. If you're installing larger Linux programs you should use ports because it will ensure all the proper linux bits are in order. If it's not in ports then you need to make sure of those things for yourself -- but that is rare.

So yes, you can use Linux binaries... but it's not as simple as just running them because they are both the same format.
 
Old 01-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
ericfx
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: CA Foothills
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvenine
i'm thinking i'll try bsd out on my computer with a nvidia card so i can try that driver out. the rest of it's hardware is pretty generic, so i'm not worried about support issues. i'm thinking i'll just install it and see how things go.
Nvidia drivers work great for linux/bsd. My rule of thumb with linux/bsd hardware is if it is a year old or older, itll most likely work fine. It is just the really new chips that are still iffy.

I like to stick with NVIDIA video cards, although ATI has been accquired by AMD and is promising to take over the linux/bsd users. Sound, I like CMI8738 and SB Audigy pci cards. Network, pretty much everything. Boards, I only use AMD, but I have found the NForce4 chipsets excellent in both socket 939 and 940. The newer AM2 socket chips like 570 and 590 work pretty poor, for now.

Good luck! FreeBSD is cool.

PS - Try booting FreeSBIE, a freebsd live CD. Version 2.0 is out, which is based on freebsd 6.2. It will give you a good idea as far as hardware support. http://www.freesbie.org
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bsd questions pr0xibus *BSD 1 06-28-2006 11:18 AM
PC-BSD Hardware Questions..please help tbrenner *BSD 4 08-29-2005 09:34 PM
PC BSD Packages and Questions webwolf70 *BSD 5 05-04-2005 06:48 PM
Possible BSD Newbie marz2 *BSD 4 03-25-2004 10:11 AM
BSD Newbie zetsui *BSD 15 01-06-2004 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration