LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
hungryduck
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
New to FreeBSD and I have several questions.


Hello. I'm interested in trying out FreeBSD but even after reading the manual and relevant documentation I'm still very confused about some things.

1. I understand there's different levels of packages you can install. Releases, stable and current. I'd like to know how I would go about changing to the stable branch. I honestly couldn't find information on this that helped me. Would I have to rebuild the system if I switched to the stable packages branch?

2. The pkg_add tool is used to fetch and install packages but it doesn't seem to offer any way of checking for updates. I realize that the release branch NEVER gets updated but I previously said I'd like to switch to the "stable" branch.

3. Is there a better tool for working with FreeBSD packages in general? Something like pacman for Arch? It's really a joy to use so I would like to see if something similar exists for this.

4. What exactly does freebsd_update do? When I run that and get the latest release it updates the FreeBSD kernel right?
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
nixblog
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 426

Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryduck View Post
Hello. I'm interested in trying out FreeBSD but even after reading the manual and relevant documentation I'm still very confused about some things.

1. I understand there's different levels of packages you can install. Releases, stable and current. I'd like to know how I would go about changing to the stable branch. I honestly couldn't find information on this that helped me. Would I have to rebuild the system if I switched to the stable packages branch?
Release is just that, it's the current release - FreeBSD 9.0

Stable is "Stable Development", kinda similar to Debian Testing (for want of a better definition) - this will become FreeBSD 9.1, 9.2 etc

Current is the "Bleeding Edge" branch were things can be a bit unstable and is intended for a major point release - FreeBSD 10.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryduck View Post
2. The pkg_add tool is used to fetch and install packages but it doesn't seem to offer any way of checking for updates. I realize that the release branch NEVER gets updated but I previously said I'd like to switch to the "stable" branch.
Check this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryduck View Post
3. Is there a better tool for working with FreeBSD packages in general? Something like pacman for Arch? It's really a joy to use so I would like to see if something similar exists for this.
pkg_add, pkd_delete and pkg_info are usually all you need

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryduck View Post
4. What exactly does freebsd_update do? When I run that and get the latest release it updates the FreeBSD kernel right?
It's a security patch tool for software running on FreeBSD and can be used for major release upgrades - read this

Actually, re-read the whole of chapter 25 of the handbook - it takes time for it to sink in...
 
Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
vermaden
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: pl_PL.lodz
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 397

Rep: Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryduck View Post
1. I understand there's different levels of packages you can install. Releases, stable and current. I'd like to know how I would go about changing to the stable branch. I honestly couldn't find information on this that helped me. Would I have to rebuild the system if I switched to the stable packages branch?
Check this one: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=26140

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryduck View Post
2. The pkg_add tool is used to fetch and install packages but it doesn't seem to offer any way of checking for updates. I realize that the release branch NEVER gets updated but I previously said I'd like to switch to the "stable" branch.
Check the link above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryduck View Post
3. Is there a better tool for working with FreeBSD packages in general? Something like pacman for Arch? It's really a joy to use so I would like to see if something similar exists for this.
The PKGNG is in the beta state, it is more similar to pacman/apt-get from Linux world.

Check this for more info about PKGNG:
http://www.mebsd.com/make-build-your...e-manager.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryduck View Post
4. What exactly does freebsd_update do? When I run that and get the latest release it updates the FreeBSD kernel right?
It checks, fetches and applies SECURITY patches to the RELEASE branch in binary form (without compilation), it does not provide any BUG FIXES to RELEASE branch.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
nixblog
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 426

Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
The PKGNG is in the beta state, it is more similar to pacman/apt-get from Linux world.

Check this for more info about PKGNG:
http://www.mebsd.com/make-build-your...e-manager.html
Thanks for that, must have been asleep when that was announced - will take a look at it.
 
Old 06-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
vermaden
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: pl_PL.lodz
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 397

Rep: Reputation: 81
Welcome, feel free to ask more questions.
 
Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
hungryduck
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

Thank you very much for the response! I'm slowly still figuring it out. That link was super helpful and it explained a lot. It seems as though it's not too easy to deal with packages yet. I'll be looking into this PKGNG thing right now.

Thanks again.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please clarify my questions on FreeBSD prakash.akumalla *BSD 9 07-10-2008 04:22 PM
FreeBSD questions Fredstar *BSD 8 05-30-2005 07:18 PM
How to contact 'freebsd-questions' satimis *BSD 1 03-02-2004 10:05 AM
freebsd questions Abe_the_Man *BSD 1 02-02-2004 04:25 PM
FreeBSD questions Jestrik *BSD 14 02-01-2004 05:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration