LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   *BSD (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/%2Absd-17/)
-   -   GRUB2 - FreeBSD-8.0 does not show up in triple boot menu, dual boot menu it does.. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/%2Absd-17/grub2-freebsd-8-0-does-not-show-up-in-triple-boot-menu-dual-boot-menu-it-does-805476/)

wiliweld 05-02-2010 11:21 AM

GRUB2 - FreeBSD-8.0 does not show up in triple boot menu, dual boot menu it does..
 
Hello Family,

(summary = FreeBSD entry will not even show on boot menu after running update-grub!)

I have four laptops, three are 40-gig drives, dual booted with FreeBSD-8.0 and Ubuntu-9.10 and those work fine. My triple boot (XP+FreeBSD-8.0+Ubuntu-9.10) Lenovo-T60p with a 100-gig drive will "NOT" even add the FreeBSD entry to the menu whereas all the others do. Here is the entry that is exactly the same in all the laptops and FreeBSD-8.0 is in the same partition on all the laptops.

This is the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file addon that works on the others

#################################
menuentry "FreeBSD-8.0" {
set root=(hd0,3)
chainloader +1
}
#################################

Mr-Bisquit 05-02-2010 11:32 AM

I'm curious, can the grub2 entries be edited with vi or another editor?

j1alu 05-02-2010 06:28 PM

It is odd that it isn't shown at all.
Did you run 'update-grub' after you edited the 40_custom?
Ah, sorry, yes you said so.

If yes, i would simply try to put it in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and overwrite it with -> :x! (just to test if it works at all. If it does you may move on with troubleshooting).

You might also try 'os-prober'.

wiliweld 05-02-2010 09:12 PM

Manually edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg (for testing)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by j1alu (Post 3955078)
It is odd that it isn't shown at all.
Did you run 'update-grub' after you edited the 40_custom?
Ah, sorry, yes you said so.

If yes, i would simply try to put it in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and overwrite it with -> :x! (just to test if it works at all. If it does you may move on with troubleshooting).

You might also try 'os-prober'.

Good idea, from what I read it's only overwritten when "update-grub" is run. If it does work I could "chattr +i /boot/grub/grub.cfg" to keep the file from being written to even by root!

Thanks again. Good catch!

wiliweld 05-02-2010 10:31 PM

Manually edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg (did not work)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiliweld (Post 3955196)
Good idea, from what I read it's only overwritten when "update-grub" is run. If it does work I could "chattr +i /boot/grub/grub.cfg" to keep the file from being written to even by root!

Thanks again. Good catch!

Hmm, just went to go force feed the stanza into the file and it's already there! Jeez, can't understand why GRUB2 won't even print it on the menu. Menu entries get printed even if they are in error and don't boot. This entry is not even showing up. And again, I've got three(3) other laptops here with Ubuntu-9.10 + FreeBSD-8.0 that update the menu with the EXACT STANZA. Phew..

saikee 05-03-2010 06:14 AM

Grub2's grub2.cfg can be edited no different from the Grub1's menu.lst.

As the previous Grub1 the new Grub2 can be used to boot any installed system manually so make a Grub floppy or Grub CD (put nothing but Grub2 on it) can save a lot of booting problems. See Task K1 & K2 in Just booting tips of my signature for making Grub2 floppy or CD.

wiliweld 05-03-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saikee (Post 3955521)
Grub2's grub2.cfg can be edited no different from the Grub1's menu.lst.

As the previous Grub1 the new Grub2 can be used to boot any installed system manually so make a Grub floppy or Grub CD (put nothing but Grub2 on it) can save a lot of booting problems. See Task K1 & K2 in Just booting tips of my signature for making Grub2 floppy or CD.

Thanks for the posting, I appreciate it. Your signature did not appear in this post... Could you post the URL of the steps to make a "grub" boot cd?

I still can't understand why just the FreeBSD stanza in /boot/grub/grub.cfg does not print when it does in other Ubuntu/FreeBSD laptops I have.

Thanks

saikee 05-03-2010 01:05 PM

Just click the red one
Code:

Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
Just cloning tips for cloning XP/Vista/Linux/BSD/Solaris or migration to a bigger hard disk
Just booting tips A collection of booting tips



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.