LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Neo-Leper
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 141

Rep: Reputation: 15
Grub+fstab+BSD+Ubuntu (can't get it to work together.)


I just installed DesktopBSD on my SATA drive. I have two partitions on that and Desktop BSD is on the second partition. I am trying to manually add it to the menu.lst in grub but I can't get DesktopBSD to boot. I know I a missing something. This is what I have so far (I am not sure how Grub sees a SATA drive.)

(I have two IDE drives, hd0 & hd1 plus the SATA drive.)

title DesktopBSD
root (hd2,1)
kernel /boot/loader
boot


Now in fstab I have no idea what to add for this to automount sda2. It keeps telling me I don't have permissions and gparted is saying it can't read the filesystem, etc. sda1 mounts fine.

Thanks in advance.
 
Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
rocket357
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: OpenBSD-CURRENT
Posts: 476
Blog Entries: 108

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Leper
title DesktopBSD
root (hd2,1)
kernel /boot/loader
boot
Have you tried chainloader +1? My understanding is that the chainloader call turns control over to the bootloader located on the partition you're trying to boot, which in some cases works better than using grub to boot.

Also, when you try to boot DesktopBSD, what is the error that GRUB outputs?
 
Old 07-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
Neo-Leper
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 141

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357
Have you tried chainloader +1? My understanding is that the chainloader call turns control over to the bootloader located on the partition you're trying to boot, which in some cases works better than using grub to boot.

Also, when you try to boot DesktopBSD, what is the error that GRUB outputs?
I think the last error I saw said error 17 but I would have to check. Let me give chainloader a try and see if that works. Thanks.
 
Old 07-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
rocket357
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: OpenBSD-CURRENT
Posts: 476
Blog Entries: 108

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Leper
I think the last error I saw said error 17 but I would have to check. Let me give chainloader a try and see if that works. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_13.html
17 : Cannot mount selected partition
This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
Apparently your GRUB install can't recognize the DesktopBSD filesystem...and hence can't read the boot information from it.
 
Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
Neo-Leper
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 141

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357
Apparently your GRUB install can't recognize the DesktopBSD filesystem...and hence can't read the boot information from it.

Yes. It is saying error 17. I tried chainloader +1 but that didn't work. I am wondering how Grub labels a SATA drive. My two IDE drives are hd0 and hd1 (only hd0 has anything to boot, all of hd1, for now, is home. The SATA drive has two partitions, 0 and 1. Does Grub see this as hd2, 1 then or is it maybe seeing it as something else? (The first partition on the SATA drive is storage.)
 
Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
rocket357
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: OpenBSD-CURRENT
Posts: 476
Blog Entries: 108

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_13.html
This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
It's seeing the partition properly, it just can't read it. The problem is that with FreeBSD (and derivatives) you need to also tell GRUB what slice to use on the partition. Try this:

# For booting DesktopBSD
title DesktopBSD
root (hd2,1,a) # third drive, second partition, first slice
kernel /boot/loader

Last edited by rocket357; 07-19-2007 at 09:55 AM.
 
Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Neo-Leper
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 141

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357
It's seeing the partition properly, it just can't read it. The problem is that with FreeBSD (and derivatives) you need to also tell GRUB what slice to use on the partition. Try this:

# For booting DesktopBSD
title DesktopBSD
root (hd2,1,a) # third drive, second partition, first slice
kernel /boot/loader

That was it, problem solved. Thank you. I am not that familiar with BSD. I have tried PC-BSD in the past, but only for a short time.

All works fine now. I have to remember in the future that BSD uses slices. Thanks again.

Now I need to figure out how to add this to Fstab in Ubuntu so it automounts.

Last edited by Neo-Leper; 07-19-2007 at 10:16 AM.
 
Old 07-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
rocket357
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: OpenBSD-CURRENT
Posts: 476
Blog Entries: 108

Rep: Reputation: 74
Hrmmm...automounting is a whole different story =)

Now then, may I ask you a question?

I see in your "Distribution" list that you run XP in VirtualBox on Ubuntu. I have a friend I'm going to set up a Linux machine for, and one requirement is that he has to have a virtual XP install. I've been playing around with VirtualBox since I don't know if Qemu will be "user-friendly" enough for him (I use Qemu, personally, but VirtualBox is nice, I must admit). I use a relatively stripped down Gentoo install for my Virtualization needs...very little overhead (running Fluxbox so I can dedicate tons of memory to the guest OS). I'm not 100% settled on it, but Ubuntu is definitely looking like the distro of choice (or perhaps Mint) for my friend's computer, which will have quite a bit more overhead than what I personally am used to.

My question is this: What hardware does it take to get reasonable performance out of a VirtualBox XP install on Ubuntu? I don't need specifics, just a general idea. (My friend has an AMD Sempron with 256MB RAM...I've already advised him to upgrade to more RAM for virtualization purposes).

Last edited by rocket357; 07-19-2007 at 10:26 AM.
 
Old 07-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Neo-Leper
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 141

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357
Hrmmm...automounting is a whole different story =)

Now then, may I ask you a question?

I see in your "Distribution" list that you run XP in VirtualBox on Ubuntu. I have a friend I'm going to set up a Linux machine for, and one requirement is that he has to have a virtual XP install. I've been playing around with VirtualBox since I don't know if Qemu will be "user-friendly" enough for him (I use Qemu, personally, but VirtualBox is nice, I must admit). I use a relatively stripped down Gentoo install for my Virtualization needs...very little overhead (running Fluxbox so I can dedicate tons of memory to the guest OS). I'm not 100% settled on it, but Ubuntu is definitely looking like the distro of choice (or perhaps Mint) for my friend's computer, which will have quite a bit more overhead than what I personally am used to.

My question is this: What hardware does it take to get reasonable performance out of a VirtualBox XP install on Ubuntu? I don't need specifics, just a general idea. (My friend has an AMD Sempron with 256MB RAM...I've already advised him to upgrade to more RAM for virtualization purposes).

I uninstalled it when I switched from Ubuntu CE to Ubuntu. I am actually getting ready to install it again, plus installing XP on another partition. I will write down all that I did and post it here today.

Here are my hardware specs,

Compaq Presario S6000CL

Hardware added/changed,

Nvidia GeForce 6200,
1024 MB memory (Sadly Maxed.)
Two IDE Drives, 80GB each
One SATA drive, 160GB
Unhooked Floppy Drive (never use it anymore.)
Microsoft Wireless Internet Keyboard and Mouse (Mouse is hooked up through USB.)

I am currently using integrated audo (AC97) and Ethernet. I am using the original power supply that is very strained right now, I need a new one soon, lol.

I will install XP, an upgrade disk. The I have to put win98 in to verify it.

I will let you know how long it takes and how it goes soon.

Last edited by Neo-Leper; 07-19-2007 at 10:37 AM.
 
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
rocket357
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: OpenBSD-CURRENT
Posts: 476
Blog Entries: 108

Rep: Reputation: 74
Thank you very much!
 
Old 07-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
Neo-Leper
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 141

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Your Welcome.

It is all set up. I am going to create a separate post for this and put the link here in a few minutes.
 
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #12
Neo-Leper
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 141

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Here is the link to the new post. I hope I put it in the correct section, lol.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...40#post2829540
 
Old 07-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
Neo-Leper
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 141

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Forgot to add I that I can mount DesktopBSD in Ubuntu, but as read only.

(Added this to fstab)
/dev/sda2 /media/disk2 ufs auto,ro,ufstype=ufs2,nodev,nosuid 0 0
 
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
Neo-Leper
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 141

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Added more info about XP on a virtual machine here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...40#post2829540
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Booting my new ubuntu install = "GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB" etc. dissolved soul Ubuntu 2 01-13-2007 12:55 PM
Dual-boot, Ubuntu and Desktop BSD question randell6564 *BSD 6 09-04-2006 05:00 PM
Boot Loader (grub) will not work with Ubuntu ajd344 Linux - Newbie 6 08-21-2006 05:42 PM
grub isnt showing option for BSD aditya1 Ubuntu 2 03-18-2006 01:39 PM
Does the mounting of a *BSD partition on linux work work well when rw ? kloss *BSD 3 10-08-2005 02:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration